House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Women And Mobiles

Incident One. I'm walking up the street. Girl in nice little car stopped at junction, despite the fact its clear. Get nearer. She's texting. Drives off with mobile in her lap.

Incident Two. Doctors surgery this morning. Queue, and everything stops when then the woman being attended to by the receptionist stops to answer a text.

Incident Three. Self service checkout in Sainsbury's. Queue again, woman appearing to put her entire monthly shop through the self service till (very, very slowly). Stops to take a phone call and proceeds to have a conversation.

As a cyclist I have long been aware that if a driver is looking down when coming to a junction, they are texting, or doing Facebook, or being "twats." The only other group of drivers that are as bad are local taxi drivers, or HGV drivers.

Women, please concentrate on the business hand and ignore your mobiles. It won't be anything important! Multitasking is also not a strong point!!

But they can multitask!

Not when it comes to mobiles. Everything stops for the mobile! Any text is bound to be life or death.

A very sexist observation John Steed, and one that I made a while back. I'm forever seeing women on mobiles whilst driving (much more than men).

Still at least they are not doing their make up at the same time.

A very sexist observation John Steed, and one that I made a while back. I'm forever seeing women on mobiles whilst driving (much more than men).

Still at least they are not doing their make up at the same time.

Agreed. You see blokes doing it as well. However it is endemic for birds. So dangerous.

Agreed. You see blokes doing it as well. However it is endemic for birds. So dangerous.

Much to my own surprise, the part of London I scooter through I mostly see white van man types on their mobiles. I'm guessing they're not on facebook though but rather illegally tending to business. Not many women out and about at 6.45am though which could explain it. Always looking out for distracted drivers so ready to slam on the anchors.

Seen loads of it... Until there's a cop on every corner it's not going to stop though.

Hasn't it been proved to be as dangerous as drunk driving?

Much to my own surprise, the part of London I scooter through I mostly see white van man types on their mobiles. I'm guessing they're not on facebook though but rather illegally tending to business. Not many women out and about at 6.45am though which could explain it. Always looking out for distracted drivers so ready to slam on the anchors.

No surprise there. Probably more tricky to see a white van man on his phone than if someone in a car ?

Certainly loads of people at it.

Seen loads of it... Until there's a cop on every corner it's not going to stop though.

Hasn't it been proved to be as dangerous as drunk driving?

Very true. Not sure what can be done about it. It started to kick off after the banning of holding mobile phones in cars IIRC. Law of unintended consuquences. Seems people are doing texting on the move as they dont want to be seen on the phone. Although at least with being on the phone you can look where you are going.

I imagine it is as dangerous as drunk driving and the rest of it. At least a drunk driver is trying hard to conentrate !

It's not just woman, everyone is at it, kids, adults, men, woman, even seen old people faffing with the damn things.

Worst incident I've seen so far was a bus driver texting while driving with a bus full of passengers.

Mobile phones connected to the internet are one of the biggest distractions the sheeple have right now, getting worse than TV, although we now have the nasty combo of people 'watching' TV and messing about with their phones at the same time, even in the cinema. Seen people messing about with them on Rollercoasters too. Some idiot was faffing with Facebook while going round the Rhino Rally in Busch Gardens when I was there. They even shut down one of the coasters to go and retrieve an iPhone that had fallen out of someone's pocket just outside the loading bay.

The energy situation dictates mankind should be developing more earthy skills like home farming, cooking, etc, but instead mankind is venturing into the TRON world of uselessness.

Still it's all good I'm sure...

The face of modern Britain?

businessman-thumb12974190.jpg

600-03777950w.jpg

6374094-happy-teen-girl-looking-at-phone-lying-on-couch-at-home.jpg

8650435-surprised-teen-girl-looking-at-the-mobile-phone-in-her-hand-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

teen_boy_looking_at_cell_phone_smiling_faa019000425.jpg

My phone does very little that is worth staring at. :(

It's not just woman, everyone is at it, kids, adults, men, woman, even seen old people faffing with the damn things.

Another thing is the number of young mums who I've seen paying more attention to their mobile than their child...

Female colleague, got a new I phone 4, including insurance that will be £55 a month.

Female, yes

Thick, yes

Are the two linked?

Probably.

Another female colleague, when I have taken her out so she can get some work experience. Small talk in the car, perhaps a discussion about work. No! She permanently has her face stuck to her 'smart phone'. Girl, it's fecking rude!

In my experience it is more women than men, I would say a good half of women I know seem to be obsessed with their mobiles but it's more like a quarter with men.

I did try texting whilst driving once (it was urgent, I had to get an answer in quickly before the other person acted on their clear misunderstanding of my previous text) and nearly ran into a line of cones. Stopped in the next lay-by instead.

This happens all the time in South London. When I used to drive around those parts to get to jobs I reckoned that the sccident I was most likely to have was to be hit by a woman on the phone. I always drove big cars. Partly to increase my chances of survival in any impact. If the police want to fine people as a fundraiser just stand a constable next to a junction in for instance Woolwich and have him take photos for evidence. The fixed penalty fines would roll in.

This happens all the time in South London. When I used to drive around those parts to get to jobs I reckoned that the sccident I was most likely to have was to be hit by a woman on the phone. I always drove big cars. Partly to increase my chances of survival in any impact. If the police want to fine people as a fundraiser just stand a constable next to a junction in for instance Woolwich and have him take photos for evidence. The fixed penalty fines would roll in.

This is what annoys me. The Police seem intent on focussing on driving penalties for things that may not actually be that dangerous. Yet for other very dangerous things that happen all the time everywhere ? They just seem to ignore them. Teh above idea could roll in a fortune. And once people started to work out that particular junction was being watched - go to another one. Not exactly rocket science. Instead they put up speed traps in wide open streets and catch people driving at 37 in a 30 zone. Which one is more dangerous ? Generally speaking the person texting whilst driving must be. They are not even looking at the road.

Unbelievably i saw a HGV driver going round the Langley (Honda) roundabout whilst using a mobile phone, when i put my hand out the window to gesture to him ( phone sign) then wucking fanker sign ( i know you're not supposed to gesture at other drivers but...) he decided to join me on the M4 and actually try and chase me! I kid you not, even straddled the hard shoulder, all the time using his phone.

It's at these times when i really do wish there was a traffic cop around.

Nope don't think I'm being sexist having a go women and phones. I certainly see a lot of them at it, as well as white van man, taxi and HGV's for some odd reason.

I think texting and IM have taken over because it can be done more in secret.

Also I think traffic has slowed down in London, not because there is more traffic. but because people are on their phones. Especially women! The classic case is the lights changing to green, and the traffic doesn't move!!

Also there was a horrendous car crash of the Oxford to Northampton road at night a few years back. A women had broken down, and her car was hit and she was killed outright. The woman that hit her had been texting. When they checked her txt Inbox it was just banal tripe. Nothing important.

Mobile phones is the new religion. Which of the four gopsels do you follow?

St.Voda

St.O2

St. T-Mob

or St. 3?

Now you too can survive 40 days and nights in the desert because you can stay connected with your Smarthphone.

St.Voda

St.O2

St. T-Mob

or St. 3?

Now you too can survive 40 days and nights in the desert because you can stay connected with your Smarthphone.

St.Voda

St.O2

St. T-Mob

or St. 3?

For a moment there I thought it was Erranta posting here and so there was me pulling all kinds of contorted expressions looking for the hidden NWO meaning.

:D:D

I'm O2 BTW