House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

5Yr Fixed Falling Again

I see there is a 3.89% 5 year fixed product on the market. Its quite annoying how the boe keeps the markets guessing. One minute inflation is a problem next they might have to do more qe and inflation is no longer a problem.

HSBC had a rather nice 5yr fixed with 60% LTV. I can't remember the rate, but it's been withdrawn. Maybe they're factoring in a rate rise?

I see there is a 3.89% 5 year fixed product on the market. Its quite annoying how the boe keeps the markets guessing. One minute inflation is a problem next they might have to do more qe and inflation is no longer a problem.

Yeah, but what are the fees? Is it just marketing?

its from 2009, but rates were lower then

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/property-and-mortgages/mortgages/239/0-mortgages-too-good-to-be-true

0%....

Better to borrow less capital at a higher interest rate than be on the hook for a high capital debt albeit at an attractive rate.

Although if I was buying now, fixed would be the way to go as long as the fix was 5 years or longer. There's going to be a nasty market dislocation sooner or later that forces rates up sharply (I don't believe that the BoE will willingly raise them by anything more than piffling amounts).

yep, 10y at 4.99% if you can put 25% down, that has to be a winner (if you want to fix)

This is indeed attractive. I am really "Tired of Waiting".

Question: Is it better to buy now, fixing at 5% for 10 years? Or should we wait 2 years, 3?, 5?, and buy a cheaper house at a higher rate?

I've tried many times to estimate that, but the main variables there (house prices and interest rates within the next 10 years, and house prices in 10/12/15 years time) are too difficult to forecast.

( Not to mention the many non-financial considerations, like stability v flexibility, self-determination issues [she wants to decorate, put nails on walls, we would like to have a dog, etc]. )

Quick math:

200K HOUSE

50K DEPOSIT

4% MORTGAGE

25 YRS

AFTER 5 YEARS:

130,657 REMAINING

47,520 PAID

Wait 2 years:

160K HOUSE

50K DEPOSIT

7% MORTGAGE

25 YRS

AFTER 5 YEARS:

100,278 REMAINING

46,620 PAID

+~15,000 rent

-~3,000 capital interest

==

Saving of 15-20k by waiting 2 years, prices dropping by 20%, rates going up by a few %.

Conclusion : Find a panicked/rushed seller now, grab a 10-20% discount, combine with great interest rates, get on with life.

That's what I've done, and I know many other people here have done similar, including RB.

Not sure about the 10 yr fix at 4.99%. What are the ERC on that? If it's a family home then that sounds like a plan. Personally I just bought my first house, 30% deposit with Nationwide fixed for 3.89% 5yrs. £400 fee, 95 application, +valuation because I know after 5 years I plan to move to the countryside to start a family, and no sooner than 5 yrs ;)

Interest swaps are looking low, doubt BoE will rise past 2% in the next 2 years, but I've done the math and the 5yr fix is still a great deal. Definitely fix it.

(...)

==

Saving of 15-20k by waiting 2 years, prices dropping by 20%, rates going up by a few %.

Conclusion : Find a panicked/rushed seller now, grab a 10-20% discount, combine with great interest rates, get on with life.

:lol: yep, exactly, I am tempted.

That's what I've done, and I know many other people here have done similar, including RB.

Not sure about the 10 yr fix at 4.99%. What are the ERC on that? If it's a family home then that sounds like a plan. Personally I just bought my first house, 30% deposit with Nationwide fixed for 3.89% 5yrs. £400 fee, 95 application, +valuation because I know after 5 years I plan to move to the countryside to start a family, and no sooner than 5 yrs ;)

Interest swaps are looking low, doubt BoE will rise past 2% in the next 2 years, but I've done the math and the 5yr fix is still a great deal. Definitely fix it.

Thanks fadeaway. We'll think about it.

And we would only go for a 10 years if it were transferable to the next property. Not sure if these are available. Not actually looking into it yet. I think prices in this area will fall fast between now and Jan/Feb 2012 (EA's stocks are piling up fast), and interest rates shouldn't go up by much - guessing this though.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

11641.20110704205205.png

http://www.stat-search.boj.or.jp/ssi/cgi-bin/famecgi2?cgi=$graphwnd_en

If we are indeed turning Japanese then there rates have been under 1% for 15 years.

Was Japan a political choice, or a pact, between savers and the state? Low IR but low inflation? Or was it forced on them by market forces?

Merv can print it, politically unencumbered, even with inflation at 5%.

yep, 10y at 4.99% if you can put 25% down, that has to be a winner (if you want to fix)

HSBC 4.29% at 70% LTV on a 5 year fix but don't do it at 60% although they used to and its been creeping up for months now.

Yes. Did just that in late 2009. :)

Just about to have my 2nd baby and couldn't be more content.

Its quite annoying how the boe keeps the markets guessing. One minute inflation is a problem next they might have to do more qe and inflation is no longer a problem.

Nothing to dow ith inflation. Its GDP they are worried about. The will let inflation rip to 'save' the economy. However, I feel RPI has peaked going into next year as the recession brings lower rates of price increases.

(...) The will let inflation rip to 'save' the economy.

Yes, I think you are right.

However, I feel RPI has peaked going into next year as the recession brings lower rates of price increases.

I didn't get that though. "Let inflation rip", but below 5%?

Sorry, I don't mean to be annoying, just trying to understand it really.

Quick math:

200K HOUSE

50K DEPOSIT

4% MORTGAGE

25 YRS

AFTER 5 YEARS:

130,657 REMAINING

47,520 PAID

Wait 2 years:

160K HOUSE

50K DEPOSIT

7% MORTGAGE

25 YRS

AFTER 5 YEARS:

100,278 REMAINING

46,620 PAID

+~15,000 rent

-~3,000 capital interest

==

Correct numbers, wrong conclusion.

After 5 years with ~0 percent WAGE inflation, having a 100K or 130K debt makes a sizeable difference.

Guess who is doing to be able to refinance cheaper at the end of 5y fix? An average person with debt-to-income (DTI) ratio

130/27=4.81 or DTI 100/27=3.7? (~27K is average UK salary http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/salary-benefits/pay-salary-advice/uk-average-salary-graphs/article.aspx)

EDIT: math

Edited by matroskin

Was Japan a political choice, or a pact, between savers and the state? Low IR but low inflation? Or was it forced on them by market forces?

Merv can print it, politically unencumbered, even with inflation at 5%.

I think it was more the Japanese trying to avoid admitting their banks are insolvent, they've managed to extend and pretend now for 20 years.

If I'm being honest I think time is running out for the Japanese, although it's running out for everyone.

Better to borrow less capital at a higher interest rate than be on the hook for a high capital debt albeit at an attractive rate.

Although if I was buying now, fixed would be the way to go as long as the fix was 5 years or longer. There's going to be a nasty market dislocation sooner or later that forces rates up sharply (I don't believe that the BoE will willingly raise them by anything more than piffling amounts).

I think a 5 year fix is a very dangerous product. What happens after the 5 years?

If house prices have gone down you no longer have a your deposit and no one will give you a good rate. Your lender can charge as much as he likes then.

With a life time tracker at least you know where you are for the full term of the mortgage.

OK lets say BofE rates go up to 10% for a few years you would be pleased you picked a fixed rate yes?

But if BofE rate goes up to 10% your house would have halved in value. Now try picking a good mortgage deal.

Edited by gf3

After the 5 year fix you automatically go to SVR

Cheshire Mortgage Corporation has been highlighted as the lender with the highest SVR in the mortgage market - currently 12.5%, more than double the industry’s average of 4.79%.

and who sets the svr?

cant the banksters just set it to what ever they want