House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Call Centre That Came Back From Bombay Because It Was Cheaper In Burnley

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010948/Call-centre-came-Bombay-cheaper-Burnley.html

Just a few years ago, British companies were falling over themselves to slash costs by outsourcing call centre work to Third World countries with cheap labour.

But now, it seems, the return journey has begun with the news that one firm finds Bombay too expensive and is upping sticks - to Burnley.

New Call Telecom, which competes with BT and Sky to offer home telephone services, broadband and low-cost international calls, is opening a call centre in Lancashire after being attracted by low commercial rents and cheap labour costs.

Are they trying to say Burnley is equivalent to a 3rd world country?

http://www.dailymail...er-Burnley.html

Towns like Oldham too look as if all their commercial property is for sale or to let.

Think call centre work will be short lived, as eventually it will be mostly automated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010948/Call-centre-came-Bombay-cheaper-Burnley.html

I'm sure its far worse. I enjoy spending time in third world countries.

Things are slowly equalizing as part of the whole globalization thingy. I think thats what they're trying to say.

Maybe just followed the workforce :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

it's a intermingled globalised world now my friend, something the British started quite a while back, there will be no going back from here so you really might want to work through some of those xenophobic issues you have

Mumbai is one of the most expensive cities in India with the highest property prices. Did not they realise that when they went there in the first place.

Yeah i wondered that as well, there are places that would cost 1/100th of Bombay prices which is practically an island. Trouble probably is finding the needed concentration of English speaking locals in non-city locations.

Its fairly safe to say that if you took a call centre job in Burnley you could probably afford to buy a house.

it's a intermingled globalised world now my friend, something the British started quite a while back, there will be no going back from here so you really might want to work through some of those xenophobic issues you have

Easy tiger! I think there was a large dose of sarcasm/irony in the post. But it's true that Burnley does have a large asian community so go figure.

If you want to sell anything to me you'd better be using British call centres. The slightest whiff of an Indian accent and I hang up. And if I call them, eg a banking query, I just keep claiming I can't understand what they're saying until they put a Brit on the line.

My username may give away my allegance here but as a regular attendee at Turf Moor and therefore the town it is no suprise that the town is cheaper than come '3rd world' competition.

Burnley and other east lancs towns troubles are well documented - hopefully the return of some form of investment (non state) will help in the long term

Easy tiger! I think there was a large dose of sarcasm/irony in the post. But it's true that Burnley does have a large asian community so go figure.

judging by his other posts it wasn't irony, but it was sarcasm, but he still is curiously hyper xenophobic. Must have had a bad experience in a curry house one time or something

Mumbai is one of the most expensive cities in India with the highest property prices. Did not they realise that when they went there in the first place.

Where else can they go? The quality of English goes downhill fast when you move out of the normal locations.

If you want to sell anything to me you'd better be using British call centres. The slightest whiff of an Indian accent and I hang up. And if I call them, eg a banking query, I just keep claiming I can't understand what they're saying until they put a Brit on the line.

You should record one and put it on youtube "ah ha, right, ok, no, can't understand a word, what? no, complete gibberish, DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH? what's that? No, not a word." :lol:

Athom doesn't do irony.His criticism of me on grounds of perceived xenophobia is quite telling.I have customers who are Indian,Polish,Chinese,Nigerian,Dutch East Indian and no doubt other "foreigners".I would have no hesitation in interacting with any of them socially.

What I do have a problem with is the propagators of fairy tales that then interfere with other peoples lives.Be religious if you need to but don't then force your crazy life style on others.It ends up with 8 year old girls being given bombs to take to police checkpoints.

What I do have a problem with is the propagators of fairy tales that then interfere with other peoples lives.Be religious if you need to but don't then force your crazy life style on others.It ends up with 8 year old girls being given bombs to take to police checkpoints.

:rolleyes: it's a black and white world being a profit of doom

The MD of this company is a mate of mine and coincidentally was tellimg me about this last week as he was picking his kids up..

Straightforward business decision:The cost savings no longer justify the problem of having an outsourced call centre-it still works for more skilled services-eg accountany/IT but you're better having a locally based service centre which is logistically easier to manage.

What you are seeing is the inevitable rebalancing of world economies as companies assess the cost/benefit of operating in any particular geographical area.

You van see the North of england being turned into a low value added economy.

It was a joke dude, no need for offense.

You van see the North of england being turned into a low value added economy.

Yes the deliberate de-skilling of the North has worked a treat. What was once an industrial giant, is now a low value wage economy. Well done!

But then again even at the peak of the industrial revolution, wages were poor and people worked in terrible conditions.

Edited by John Steed

Where else can they go? The quality of English goes downhill fast when you move out of the normal locations.

I called up to get my car insurance renewed last week*. Seems Elephant have thier call centre based in the US. And certainly wasn't just one bloke based somewhere else - could hear all the other accents in the background.

*Elephant are excellent value

*Elephant are excellent value

Yes, though they also leave an unpleasant feeling behind. They are cheapest, so I stick with them. However, every year I get a phone call "Have you noticed we sold you comprehensive insurance that actually isn't? If you look at the small print, we did not include X but thankfully we can add it now we have your money and the cooling-off period is over for just another 20% on top"? Me: "Come off it. I might not have realised it the first time, but now you have told me about it four times, you could give me the credit for remembering. I *really* don't need that cover because if that particular thing happens, I'll just go and buy a new car later that day. Or I'll hire one. Does the job I told you I did not sound as if I might be able to afford that?". They don't give up easily though, and need to be told about three times that they should trust me I really don't need the extra cover, and would have gone elsewhere a long time ago if I did. Still, I am willing to endure that for the £50ish difference and the time it would take to move.

BTW, they auto-renew your insurance as long as the card they have on file is still valid, and (say they) will refuse a refund if you don't provide a proof you had other insurance on the renewal date. And no, they don't tell you they will do this when they ask for the card number. Again, it's not an enormous problem, but every time they remind me they do this I cannot help wondering if I really want to be with an insurance company behaving like that. After all, they will probably not be any more civilised if I need to claim ...