House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Housing Benefits Cuts To Make 40,000 Homeless

Sky News is reporting that The Observer has a leaked copy of a letter from Eric Pickles to Cameron that the Govt's cap on benefits will make 40,000 homeless.

I wonder, is this a concern over the people who might be made homeless or concern for landlords?

Sky News is reporting that The Observer has a leaked copy of a letter from Eric Pickles to Cameron that the Govt's cap on benefits will make 40,000 homeless.

I wonder, is this a concern over the people who might be made homeless or concern for landlords?

...sounds like BTL VI propaganda ..and of course they use the Guardian / Observer for the fake social sympathy.... :rolleyes:

How long will the court system take to evict 40,000 people?

We need to write to press with negotiating tactics for getting rents lower and complete argument why landlords will not evict people.

We need to do this across uk - all local papers, freebies etc and main press.

Edited by SarahBell

Money, we were outbid on a rental flat by someone on housing benefit, they offered the asking price and signed up straight away - we were trying to negotiate a reduction. Besides people lose their jobs and may not be able to pay the rent but the housing benefit is guaranteed.

Yes, now guaranteed to be lower. what will landlords do? If you lose your job you go on the lower housing benefit anyway?

This Government will back down, it has on everything else.

Not on this one. There were plenty of homeless people in London in the Thatcher years. Sleeping in doorways in the Strand. Even camping in Lincoln's Inn Fields. This is Tory vote-winning stuff.

Cue for a song, Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrPP3qkM0E&feature=related

Not on this one. There were plenty of homeless people in London in the Thatcher years.

Thatcher had a spine. Cameron appears not to.

Thatchers trump card was asset transferal on the cheap to the mob.

She could therefore get away with a number of homeless on the streets.

With assets now in the hands of the voters Cameron has little choice but to prop them up via crude HB payment mechanisms.

Edited by Milkshock

It doesnt U turn on things that affect the poor.

yep i can see cameron standing firm on this

It doesnt U turn on things that affect the poor.

it affects the 'rich' as well who rely on regular and high HB payments for their houses.

Maybe maybe not, you see the IDS line is move to where there is work, so Channel 4 might be doing a new series for UK residents in this position.

Let me guess what it will be called.... Relocation, Relocation, Relocation. :D

Can the city's infrastructure support 30m people?

Not on this one. There were plenty of homeless people in London in the Thatcher years. Sleeping in doorways in the Strand. Even camping in Lincoln's Inn Fields. This is Tory vote-winning stuff.

....they were there in Harold Wilson's days.... underneath the arches was full house ...and quite aggressive if you did not pull out the cash for them when wandering the street during the day.. :rolleyes:

It will make 40,000 who homeless exactly?

The 40,000 or so lazy b*stards receiving housing benefit paid for with my hard earned cash to live in areas that I would never be able to afford to live in!!

Rent control. The same effect and no one has to move an inch.

Exactly what I was thinking. :) Will instantly snuff out the inflationary effect of housing benefit pushing up rents.

'Homeless' or they have to move somewhere cheaper?

As I understand it, Housing Benefit families are occupying expensive houses in London which would be put to better use accommodating 'Wealthy Migrants'. (Hat tip: Redhat Sly)

Obviously it defeats the object if they start claiming somewhere else, so I assume they will be evacuated from London, as in wartime, and billeted out somewhere in the country. 'Can you take another two Ex-HB's, Mrs Jenkins?'

It's a very Dave idea, very Big Society.

liverpoolstreet_500.jpg?w=500&h=475