House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
guitarman001

Just Went Viewing

No spectacular story here - rather typical and mundane. Anyway! Went for a random viewing in Fife for the first time in a year. Popped into a Taylor Wimpey office (prefer Gladedale!) and had a look round a 3-bed semi (£150k) and a 4-bed detached (£210k) new-builds (would never buy new-build myself, to be honest). Christ, I thought things were bad a year ago - you honestly couldn't fit a bed AND chest of drawers in the rooms, they're that small!! Walked out in disgust telling the agent that it's just not value for money by any stretch and that it was far, far too small. Ha, and some cheeky c*w (previous viewer) had the cheek to scowl at me whilst I was saying this - probably still believes in the 'property miracle'.

Anyway, that was it. Never even bothered to check the other developments. Looking at some of the people in the gardens nearby the TW development I likely wouldn't enjoy living next to them, anyway (pond scum). All in all very disappointing and made me a tad angry again at the whole situation. Really, who would shackle themselves with such a millstone when it isn't even worth it - I honestly think being young and with the workplace the way it is now, youngsters are just better off working their way around the world and seeing a bit of it, live a little and get some tales under their belts.

Madness!

went to view some new builds the other day, the rooms were a good size, gardens ok size, but the price and quality of fittings were a joke

* have nothing against high quality new builds and there are some, usually by small or niche builders, not the big names.

oh and forgot the best question.........whats your absolute maximum maximum budget??

err let me think........reposne..........i'd like to pay as little as possible if thats ok!

Had a few visits to EAs myself today in similar area. Despite watching the market for some time, have never thought it worthwhile to actually visit an EA office. It was a nice lesson as to why I shouldn't bother. One was busy and efficient (though only one staff member on). The others were empty, never asked for any of my details and just told me to "check the internet". Honestly, if I was an EA, and a potential FTB cash buyer walked in to my office, I'd be all over them like a rash trying to build a business relationship. In a way, the internet makes things easy for an EA - no need to print details or waste time with customers in the office....and yet I can't help but feel that by missing out building a relationship between EA and buyer, the EA shoots themselves in the foot. I actually went in hoping to be persuaded..no one even tried.

Anyway, all EAs reported that business was very slow this year (again).

Had a few visits to EAs myself today in similar area. Despite watching the market for some time, have never thought it worthwhile to actually visit an EA office. It was a nice lesson as to why I shouldn't bother. One was busy and efficient (though only one staff member on). The others were empty, never asked for any of my details and just told me to "check the internet". Honestly, if I was an EA, and a potential FTB cash buyer walked in to my office, I'd be all over them like a rash trying to build a business relationship. In a way, the internet makes things easy for an EA - no need to print details or waste time with customers in the office....and yet I can't help but feel that by missing out building a relationship between EA and buyer, the EA shoots themselves in the foot. I actually went in hoping to be persuaded..no one even tried.

Frankly, it raises the issue of why we even have EAs in this day and age!!

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

A few months back I went into an EA to enquire about a property of 400k. I walked in an said "im interested in property blah" then silence. I was was expecting the EA to sit me down ask some details then sell it to me but no. After the the long silence I then had to say "what can you tell me about it".

What a joke. The sort of money thats at stake they need to sell it to me.

oh and forgot the best question.........whats your absolute maximum maximum budget??

err let me think........reposne..........i'd like to pay as little as possible if thats ok!

Ha, classic, yeah!!

I made a comment about this on a Taylor Wimpey investment forum. The replies:

'So what your saying is that people wanting to get on he property ladder in this country should instead emigrate and buy in other countries? As for Taylor Wimpey houses being small all builders have been building houses on the small side for 20 years or more that's nothing new. I'm lucky enough to live in a house with solid brick walls but my rented properties are like egg shell houses but its still a roof over their heads. '

(FYI I suggested youngsters look at renting abroad)

'Can someone explain to guitarman what inflation is.

I have been holding Tw for nearly 12 months as a speculative buy but now feel that a 20% increase (almost to NAV) is a distinct possibility in the next 12 weeks.

As for comments regarding room sizes and quality of builds, Tw are supplying a product that is demanded by certain customers, otherwise it would not have such a healthy order book. Tw are not a premium house builder but do what they do well. For those who are interested, check the mission statement and corporate strategy summary.'

I made a comment about this on a Taylor Wimpey investment forum. The replies:

'So what your saying is that people wanting to get on he property ladder in this country should instead emigrate and buy in other countries? As for Taylor Wimpey houses being small all builders have been building houses on the small side for 20 years or more that's nothing new. I'm lucky enough to live in a house with solid brick walls but my rented properties are like egg shell houses but its still a roof over their heads. '

(FYI I suggested youngsters look at renting abroad)

'Can someone explain to guitarman what inflation is.

I have been holding Tw for nearly 12 months as a speculative buy but now feel that a 20% increase (almost to NAV) is a distinct possibility in the next 12 weeks.

As for comments regarding room sizes and quality of builds, Tw are supplying a product that is demanded by certain customers, otherwise it would not have such a healthy order book. Tw are not a premium house builder but do what they do well. For those who are interested, check the mission statement and corporate strategy summary.'

:huh::lol: