House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eleanor

Row Today With Lying Estate Agent

Am so fed up with estate agents who lie blatently!

Went into town today (small market town on the Welsh borders) and asked for details of properties. Only 1 girl in the office who told me that business was brisk, they had sold 7 properties last month! This is in a town of about 11,000 where we have 8 estate agents and who according to the LR figures are not selling more than 1.75 per month per agent.

Thought I'd check when I got home - this outfit has 103 props on RM and 96 available. According to RM they sold 2 last month.

Incensed, I rang her up and told her I was sick of estate agents lying through their teeth, and who,devoid of any integrity, never stopped trying to take the public for mugs. She was taken aback and spluttered that I was a "very rude woman" before I slammed the phone down. Most enjoyable!

Went into town today (small market town on the Welsh borders) and asked for details of properties. Only 1 girl in the office who told me that business was brisk, they had sold 7 properties last month! This is in a town of about 11,000 where we have 8 estate agents and who according to the LR figures are not selling more than 1.75 per month per agent.

Thought I'd check when I got home - this outfit has 103 props on RM and 96 available. According to RM they sold 2 last month.

Incensed, I rang her up and told her I was sick of estate agents lying through their teeth, and who,devoid of any integrity, never stopped trying to take the public for mugs. She was taken aback and spluttered that I was a "very rude woman" before I slammed the phone down. Most enjoyable!

As someone who also lives in the Welsh Marches I'm always amazed at how many EA offices there are dotted about the place. (I'm guessing it's probably similar elsewhere in the UK, but still..) In Shropshire some market towns have about a quarter of their town centre retail/office space taken up by the parasites!! My favourite is the McCartneys office in Minsterley FFS. MINSTERLEY!!! A village with a population of less than 1000, and not that far out of Shrewsbury.

And now I've just checked where else they have offices:

http://www.mccartneys.co.uk/content/The_Company/Contact_Us/

Every 8 f*cking miles! :blink:

Why?! Why?!!! I'm going mad. :o

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

And here it is! Drum-roll please! The Minsterley office of McCartneys!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Minsterley&ll=52.63946,-2.925619&spn=0.002305,0.005681&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&gl=uk&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.639298,-2.925707&panoid=aSj-z5IbjG8guJcIWOomOQ&cbp=12,113.12,,0,9.52

I love passing this when I go through the place. Love it. Words fail me every time. <_<

And here it is! Drum-roll please! The Minsterley office of McCartneys!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Minsterley&ll=52.63946,-2.925619&spn=0.002305,0.005681&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&gl=uk&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.639298,-2.925707&panoid=aSj-z5IbjG8guJcIWOomOQ&cbp=12,113.12,,0,9.52

I love passing this when I go through the place. Love it. Words fail me every time. <_<

Classy!

Looks like it used to be the village pissoir..

Classy!

Looks like it used to be the village pissoir..

About a month ago I passed and the roof on one side was collapsing! :D It's basically a brick shed with a window. I'm guessing inside is a desk, two chairs and a phone. Quite what the point is I'm not sure.. :huh:

I'm guessing inside is a desk, two chairs and a phone. Quite what the point is I'm not sure.. :huh:

Maybe it is the home of one of the Directors and is using the side of the house more as a window display and part time office just in case one of the locals decide to sell? :unsure:

I'm afraid your not comparing like for like.

They would have removed houses sold from Rightmove.

The 2 you mention are SSTC.

They could easily have sold 7 last month.

I'm afraid your not comparing like for like.

They would have removed sold houses from Rightmove.

The 2 you mention are SSTC.

They could easily have sold 7 last month.

Sorry not so. OK - 96 from 103 is 7 - however, checking with Property Bee indicated that the other properties had gone u/o months ago.

Why not point out when someone is lying? Might make them think twice about it next time.

Sorry not so. OK - 96 from 103 is 7 - however, checking with Property Bee indicated that the other properties had gone u/o months ago.

Why not point out when someone is lying? Might make them think twice about it next time.

You're not listing.

The 103-96 =7 are houses that are NOT yet sold. She wasn't talking about those.(it's only a coincedence that both totals are 7)

The EA was saying how many houses that they HAVE sold.

These will not now be listed on Rightmove --houses are removed from Rightmove when sale is completed.

The only way to check is to wait 3 months for the price information for June to be completed,

and then X reference that information with properties that were listed by that EA.

You accused the girl of lying,but you've provided zero evidence to back up that claim.

"Why not point out when someone is lying?" Because you have not proved the girl lied.

Good advice catmandu -

One can only imagine the OP's reaction when they cease and desist bullying a Saturday Girl and realise the daily lies they are feed - bombing Libya to liberate the people, the NHS is in safe hands, MP's expenses, Big Society, WMD, Dr David Kelly, Robin Cooks heart attack, Lady Di accident etc etc .......they may just keel over with rage

guitarman001 cool user name however not cool to side with bullies

The fact that so many survive is an indication of how much fat they made during the boom....

Let's face it, they do very little and, in return, can reap many thousands of pounds for it...

Despite what some people say, the agent could well still have been lying. When agents talk about selling houses to potential buyers, they often refer to the number of houses that have sales in progress on, not how many sales have fully completed. This day in age, many sales will fall through anyway. I was recently looking at buying and got as far as the survey. The Surveyor found many problems which would cost tens of thousands to put right, so I reduced my offer. The owners said they would only sell for the initially agreed price, despite the issues not having been revealed before. I therefore pulled out.

The agent claimed I was the only looser, as they would sell no problem to someone else, as other surveyors may not find the same problems. Well I'm glad they were found and did not get lumbered with them! Shows a good survey is always important, as EAs and many vendors will try it on and not admit to anything they know about. You can bet your life that if someone asks why the house sale fell through, they will not mention a bad survey.

Edited by BalancedBear

Despite what some people say, the agent could well still have been lying. When agents talk about selling houses to potential buyers, they often refer to the number of houses that have sales in progress on, not how many sales have fully completed. This day in age, many sales will fall through anyway. I was recently looking at buying and got as far as the survey. The Surveyor found many problems which would cost tens of thousands to put right, so I reduced my offer. The owners said they would only sell for the initially agreed price, despite the issues not having been revealed before. I therefore pulled out.

The agent claimed I was the only looser, as they would sell no problem to someone else, as other surveyors may not find the same problems. Well I'm glad they were found and did not get lumbered with them! Shows a good survey is always important, as EAs and many vendors will try it on and not admit to anything they know about. You can bet your life that if someone asks why the house sale fell through, they will not mention a bad survey.

Friend of a friend recently pulled out due to exactly the same thing- survey highlighted some work needing done (only a few £k though in contrast to your experience), seller refused to swallow it despite it being essentially overdue maintenance. Plenty more fish in the sea, and as you say, better not to be lumbered with it.

Well done to the OP. I'm all for bullying estate agents, especially minimum wage Saturday girls. I'm sure in a few years she'll be bullying young naive FTBs, just as I have been bullied by EAs for being young and naive. Now I'm not quite so young and no longer naive I won't take bull shit blatant lies from these people.

Although, saying all that. I did speak to a very nice and estate agent a few months ago and he was very helpful and polite even when I told him the house was overpriced! So there are exceptions to the rule. (probably)