House Price Crash Forum

Choosing Holiday Destination By Pound Strength?

inflating

HOLA441

Pound GBP dropped against a basket of currencies including the euro where it hit its lowest for some time. Yes, even against the euro :rolleyes:

For example, exactly a year ago £1 bought you over 5 Polish zloty, now you'll get just 4 and a quarter zloty to your quid. This is near all-time lows.

While King continues to talk the pound down and persecute savers manage vigilance against inflation and prevent economic contraction, anywhere decent to go on holiday where the pound is still buying what it did last summer?

HOLA442
HOLA443

According to Bloomberg:

Brazil, India, Turkey and Norway have declined at about the same rate as the pound. Norway is hellishly expensive at the best of times. Monsoons in India at the moment. Turkey would almost certainly work out cheaper than Brazil.

Australia and New Zealand currencies have depreciated slightly vs the pound. If you're planning on going soon it depends on how much you want a year with two winters.

Korea, South Africa and Iceland have devalued significantly more than the pound. Iceland suffers from the same eye-watering cost of living as Norway. South Africa has more to offer than Korea although 'the Land of the Morning Calm' is one of my favourite best-kept-secrets. Given a choice between the South African winter and the humid and sticky Korean summer I'd go for the former.

If you are looking for a bargain in high summer then I'd recommend Egypt but be prepared for temperatures in excess of 45 degrees.

HOLA444

According to Bloomberg:

Brazil, India, Turkey and Norway have declined at about the same rate as the pound. Norway is hellishly expensive at the best of times. Monsoons in India at the moment. Turkey would almost certainly work out cheaper than Brazil.

Australia and New Zealand currencies have depreciated slightly vs the pound. If you're planning on going soon it depends on how much you want a year with two winters.

Korea, South Africa and Iceland have devalued significantly more than the pound. Iceland suffers from the same eye-watering cost of living as Norway. South Africa has more to offer than Korea although 'the Land of the Morning Calm' is one of my favourite best-kept-secrets. Given a choice between the South African winter and the humid and sticky Korean summer I'd go for the former.

If you are looking for a bargain in high summer then I'd recommend Egypt but be prepared for temperatures in excess of 45 degrees.

Since when?

Try the 5 year option on this page

http://uk.reuters.com/business/currencies/quote?srcAmt=1.00&srcCurr=GBP&destAmt=&destCurr=AUD&historicalDate=

HOLA445

Pound GBP dropped against a basket of currencies including the euro where it hit its lowest for some time. Yes, even against the euro :rolleyes:

For example, exactly a year ago £1 bought you over 5 Polish zloty, now you'll get just 4 and a quarter zloty to your quid. This is near all-time lows.

While King continues to talk the pound down and persecute savers manage vigilance against inflation and prevent economic contraction, anywhere decent to go on holiday where the pound is still buying what it did last summer?

You have'nt said when you want to go,or if you have kids,need a hire car etc.

Don't assume everywhere using the euro is expensive,just come back from a 10 day hol,got 1 kg mussels[65 mussels],4 bread rolls & a beer for 5e in a waterfront restaurant,going back again in 2 weeks,three quarters of a litre 5% beer costs 1.2 euro.

Temperature there was 35c,water temp 26c.

Accomodation varies wildly,a friend of mine is building apts & he's paying 3 euro a night accomodation,basically a room with cooking facilites,or there's apts available mostly from brits with pools for 250e>450e depending on time of year,locals accomodation can be had for 20e a night for short term let,ie hols.

Look up world tourist & travel council & see which country they've tipped for fastest tourism growth in the world over the next 10 years,at nos 1 spot is where i've been going since 2007,several times a year.

euro to gbp

2001 £1 =1.64e

today £1 =1.10e

Oh dear,see a trend over the last 10 years!

Euro's anyone!

HOLA446

Mongolia? You can fly via Berlin or Seoul.

Its pretty darned cheap there. 2600togrog per £1. I remember changing £100 and got back a brick of money. 5000TR buys you a nice meal. 15000 buys you a night in a decent hotel. 60,000TR buys you a nice horse trek inc food.

HOLA447

Don't assume everywhere using the euro is expensive,just come back from a 10 day hol,got 1 kg mussels[65 mussels],4 bread rolls & a beer for 5e in a waterfront restaurant,going back again in 2 weeks,three quarters of a litre 5% beer costs 1.2 euro.

Accomodation varies wildly,a friend of mine is building apts & he's paying 3 euro a night accomodation,basically a room with cooking facilites,or there's apts available mostly from brits with pools for 250e>450e depending on time of year,locals accomodation can be had for 20e a night for short term let,ie hols.

Look up world tourist & travel council & see which country they've tipped for fastest tourism growth in the world over the next 10 years,at nos 1 spot is where i've been going since 2007,several times a year.

euro to gbp

2001 £1 =1.64e

today £1 =1.10e

Euro's anyone!

sounds cheap,where was it?

HOLA448
HOLA449

sounds cheap,where was it?

Montenegro,opposite italy.

Just seen a 1 bed apt on waterfront with own private terrace for 100e for a week up till 18th july in prcanj,kotor bay,just over 14e a night.

Some more prices...

My gf & i had this on the waterfront in prcanj

1 pork steak & chips 5e[with stuffing of ham & cheese 7e]

1 large bowl fish soup,4 bread rolls 3e

4 large beers 4e

1 kg mussels 4e[65 mussels]

1 mixed salad 2e

Total 18e for a very big meal for 2

Flights if booked early £80 return LGW to dubrovnik in croatia,bus service from airport to montenegro,approx 1.5 hrs

Another restaurant in tivat i had 3 bowls of fish soup for 3e,rump steak 9e.

From next year easyjet & ryan air look like their flying into tivat so that'll save a 1.5 hr bus ride or drive if you hire a car.

Ciggies for 200, 8>10e

Very large draught beer 1.2e

Very large pizza 5e

spaghetti carbonara 6e

Taxis[red taxis] are 50 cents per km

Wine is very cheap & has won awards

may,june,sep best months to go july & august too hot & busy.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yep, I was right :D

Kosovo is much cheaper, it was when I was last there anyway.

Surely it would be easier to fly into skopje or sarajevo than croatia?

I've never been to kosovo,is that really a holiday destination,i thought there was still tensions btw serbs & kosovans?

Used to go to croatia years ago,beautiful unspoilt adriatic coastline,but it's simply too expensive & busy now.

Last year in dubrovnik old town 1 beer cost me 5e,food prices were extortionate!

In montenegro theres a place called kotor a unesco world heritage old town,large fortressed walls climbing hundreds of feet into the mountains,lit up at night,very nice,apart from the mosquitoes.

Plenty of billionaire boats moored up in tivat[porto montenegro] & kotor,yet it's cheap to eat & drink out there!

HOLA4412

I've never been to kosovo,is that really a holiday destination,i thought there was still tensions btw serbs & kosovans?

Used to go to croatia years ago,beautiful unspoilt adriatic coastline,but it's simply too expensive & busy now.

Last year in dubrovnik old town 1 beer cost me 5e,food prices were extortionate!

In montenegro theres a place called kotor a unesco world heritage old town,large fortressed walls climbing hundreds of feet into the mountains,lit up at night,very nice,apart from the mosquitoes.

Plenty of billionaire boats moored up in tivat[porto montenegro] & kotor,yet it's cheap to eat & drink out there!

Not sure about now but it wasnt much of a holiday place last time I was there. I wouldnt have classed montenegro as a holiday destination either though.

It was cheap though, I had free flights both ways, all food was free and six months free accommodation :lol:

Bosnia is alright now, split is well worth a visit. I wouldnt go near montenegro or albania myself though.

HOLA4413

Spend your money on a 5 star all inclusive hotel on the beach. That way it doesnt really matter what sterling is worth because you have everything you need to relax in the sun. Spend the money on the hotel rather than the local economy.

HOLA4414

Not sure about now but it wasnt much of a holiday place last time I was there. I wouldnt have classed montenegro as a holiday destination either though.

It was cheap though, I had free flights both ways, all food was free and six months free accommodation :lol:

Bosnia is alright now, split is well worth a visit. I wouldnt go near montenegro or albania myself though.

Each to their own.

I can assure you montenegro is an emerging holiday destination,probably hence it's so cheap.

Eddie jordan,roman abramovich,michael douglas have places there,even slimey peter mandleson goes there!

Been to split,kotor fjord is far more dramatic scenery wise & half the price.

Locals are friendly to foreigners,mountains,fjords,venetian towns,cheap,hot,good fresh food,sandy beaches[11km long silver sands southern montenegro]

Brits have'nt really discovered it yet in their masses,lots of germans,italians,french & russians there.

Any other places that 2 can eat for 18e on the waterfront?

Slovenia maybe?

What's Turkey cost now?

Cheerio...

HOLA4415

According to Bloomberg:

Turkey would almost certainly work out cheaper than Brazil.

Northern Cyprus is probably a lot more tolerable than Egypt climate wise at this time of year. It uses turkish lira I believe, so is out of the eurozone. Under 5 hrs flight from the UK to.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Gambia's rate of exchange is quite good about a pound for a bottle of beer ,and I noticed the other day that the Kenyan shilling had taken a hit and is at similar levels to the pound pre crisis so maybe a trip to Mombasa would be nice .

HOLA4418

Thank you to forum members for all the tips and suggestions as below...

Pound is up 10c on the US Dollar from exactly one year ago, trouble is the US is playing the same game as the UK, they pretend inflation is low then when you go buy something you realise just how bad it is.

According to Bloomberg:

euro to gbp

2001 £1 =1.64e

today £1 =1.10e

Euro's anyone!

Mongolia? You can fly via Berlin or Seoul.

Its pretty darned cheap there. 2600togrog per £1. I remember changing £100 and got back a brick of money. 5000TR buys you a nice meal. 15000 buys you a night in a decent hotel. 60,000TR buys you a nice horse trek inc food.

Gambia's rate of exchange is quite good about a pound for a bottle of beer ,and I noticed the other day that the Kenyan shilling had taken a hit and is at similar levels to the pound pre crisis so maybe a trip to Mombasa would be nice .

The exchange rate is your criterion for choosing a holiday destination?

Good grief.

Needs must.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Try Bali , or anywhere else in Indo for that matter.

Bali is a fantastic destination (if you stay out of Kuta), beautiful scenery, friendly locals and cheap accomodation / food. If you push further out in to Indo it's even cheaper and far more untouched.

The south coast of Cambodia (Sihanoukville and eastwards) is still relatively untouched but the developers have started moving in in recent years. Very cheap and very friendly, although I found the blatent underage sex tourism in Phnom Pen quite disturbing.

I just got back from Vilnius in Lithuania which was pretty good value and hot too (29C), the city centre is a unesco world heritage site and quite beautiful (it gets a bit soviet on the outskirts though). Without a doubt the most beautiful women I have seen anywhere in the world as an added bonus (just walked down my local high street and found the adjustment quite shocking).

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Archived