House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441

This is a future prediction, thread. Take the poll, and then add a post if you like outlining life in 2025, from the POV of your age group. Don't bother expounding on how your prediction comes to pass, just say what it is. Begin by predicting the YoY inflation rate in 2025, the most lucrative profession and the thing that most grips the attention and aspirations of of the masses.

Keep wonkishness and goldbuggery to a minimum and focus on day to day life.

HOLA442

This is a future prediction, thread. Take the poll, and then add a post if you like outlining life in 2025, from the POV of your age group. Don't bother expounding on how your prediction comes to pass, just say what it is. Begin by predicting the YoY inflation rate in 2025, the most lucrative profession and the thing that most grips the attention and aspirations of of the masses.

Keep wonkishness and goldbuggery to a minimum and focus on day to day life.

Dead.

:)

HOLA443
HOLA444

We'd have a hyperinflationary collaspe, China would have sent 250 million infantry to ocupy Europe, and thus I'd probably agree with Injin.

As per above: " Begin by predicting the YoY inflation rate in 2025, the most lucrative profession and the thing that most grips the attention and aspirations of of the masses."

HOLA445

We'd have a hyperinflationary collaspe, China would have sent 250 million infantry to ocupy Europe, and thus I'd probably agree with Injin.

good luck feeding and keeping supplied 250 million troops on foreign soil.

HOLA446

As per above: " Begin by predicting the YoY inflation rate in 2025, the most lucrative profession and the thing that most grips the attention and aspirations of of the masses."

The YoY inflation rate will be about 5-30%. As I implied that we'd have had the hyperinflationary reset event. Hyper doesn't last forever and something always comes along and kills it. Lots of people get wiped out, figuratively and literally too...

The key point to this is that the mob come 2014 will put Labour into power all 650 seats will be Labour. Labour will use the printing press to pay the bills, currency goes off a cliff. We pay 20 trillion for a loaf of bread.

People march on government eventually, wipe out the present bunch of bankers puppets. Who are then replaced by some 'revolutionary leaders' who happen to be the puppets of the bankers yet again. And we start playing debt expansion game yet again.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I think the amazing thing about looking 14 years out and looking 14 years back and there really ain't much change.

I dunno about that.

I think you can add a zero to the end of most prices of stuff.

By 2024 there will be another zero added to the cost of most stuff at the very least, pints of beer being £35, loaf of bread £10.50.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Leaving aside the more apocalyptic stuff (which I have sympathy with but it's too depressing for a weekend).

Add a zero to most today's essentials prices - check. But times current salaries by 9.5 ie energy, food, taxation and transportation will take up more of our income. The discretionary stuff will get cheaper eg consumer electronics. Housing will probably decrease considerably in real terms. I can't see rents more than doubling - or if they do people will simply downside. I've moved around a bit admittedly but my rent has actually decreased over the last 10 years. House prices - very hard to call. I will go with up 50% on 2008 ie a massive real terms drop. Perhaps the numbers actually owning or buying will drop to between 50-60%. Housing stock will generally be even shabbier than it currently is due to lack of investment by owners (except where energy efficiency is concerned although it could be rather makeshift).

We'll be sharing this island (Britain) with a lot more others. Unemployment will continue to be high but due to increased automation rather than recession. Self driving cars will probably be the norm in the taxi business for example. Ditto bus and train. Generally, you'll be transacting with far fewer humans in all types of customer service.

Augmented reality will be the 'normal' way of experiencing everyday life - and it'll take the edge of the gloom. Being rich virtually will become a valid concept amongst the masses (although the real rich won't be fooled).

The rich will be a lot richer in comparison to the poor as they will proportionally own more stocks, assets etc.

Overseas holidays will be a rarity for most - and you'll make real sacrifices to take one.

Peak energy and resources will be widely understood but most will assume it's someone else's problem to sort out.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA4414

Debt to GDP 150-200% in the US and Europe, inflation rates not skyrocketing but stubbornly high say 4 to 6% caused by chronic deficits and echo boomers all in adulthood. Assuming three more recessions in the interim which wipe out jobs that never return, I guess structural unemployment somewhere around 12 to 15% in the west.

Generally the same professions will be lucrative but there will be more competition for fewer places so for the less mentally able the security industry will be the best bet.

Houses will be just as unaffordable as planning restrictions aren't lifted and more eco-laws raise the price of construction. Boomers will find emerging market buyers for their assets as our current account stays in the red to maintain an ever more disfunctional welfare state.

Energy costs will take twice as much of average income as now and food prices will also be higher.

All in all worse for most, and more of the same for the top 20% or so, but not quite collapse.

HOLA4415

Hopefully we will be past the hyperinflation stage and things will have settled back to a "comfortable" 4-5% YoY. Long commutes will be a thing of the past because of fuel prices. Self sufficiency and subsistence living will be the norm, although they will be dressed up as some form of Eco-living.

State services will have been pared back to the bone. The retailers will look more like the Co-op with lots of small stores. Protectionism will become popular with the masses and elements of the Tory party will be flirting with it. However the Chancellor Lord Balls will argue that we will need all the Western Euroean migrants that we can get so that wecan compete with Poland and the Baltic States.

HOLA4416

Hard to see that happening without nukes dropping on Beijing and Hong Kong TBH.

Which may or may not be intercepted by their ABM system which was revealed in 2010.

Not to mention the 100s of nuclear bunkers under major chinese cities as well as the bunkers which were built recently under Beijing, Shanghai and tianjin.

HOLA4417

Begin by predicting the YoY inflation rate in 2025, the most lucrative profession and the thing that most grips the attention and aspirations of of the masses.

Difficult to predict YoY inflation that far out - depends on the jokers in the BoE at the time. Probably still quite high if the current ethos lasts.

Probably the pound will have gone down a lot in value, so jobs related to international economies will be lucrative. People might be tempted to do jobs abroad in order to save money to come back here and live like a king. However, the larger numbers of old people here will mean that we will be actively seeking immigrants. Indian/ Chinese and European immigrants will stop coming to Britain due to better opportunities at home, however, the population will be grateful that we are still able to attract Somalians and some other africans.

The attention of the masses will be kept by manufactured TV programs. Coronation Street and Eastenders will still be going strong. The most popular programs will be competitions (singing/ dancing/ business/ other) where the viewers can get a lot more information on each contestant (e.g. press red button to follow Stuart during his daily routine).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Asia will be kicking off in the mid-2020s. Goodness knows what things will be like in the UK. I'd imagine we'd be in full transition mode from oil-based cars, etc, to whatever replaces them (hydrogen, or battery, or whatever). Could be another tough decade (after this one) with energy and food costs high.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I think the amazing thing about looking 14 years out and looking 14 years back and there really ain't much change.

Now where's your HPC spirit? :lol:

The Chinese will have invaded and a price of bread will be £20,000

I know where I'm going to be; rapidly approaching the end of my mortgage term

HOLA4425