House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kissmyb

House Prices To Double By 2025

Interesting article i know you bears will disagree however we are talking 2025 so in 20 years time it will happen.In other words anyone on the ladder now has a very good investment any one not should get on.

houseprices will double

Im sure you will leave your comments

That's less than 4% increase per year.

It's not exactly big news is it?

Interesting article i know you bears will disagree however we are talking 2025 so in 20 years time it will happen.In other words anyone on the ladder now has a very good investment any one not should get on.

houseprices will double

A bit like rushing onto the housing ladder in 1988 on the basis that prices would have risen by 2005? Sorry, I'd have left it until 1995.

It's not exactly big news is it?

Hmmmm. Borrow at 6% on an asset that will rise by 4%. ........

Nah.

Interesting article i know you bears will disagree however we are talking 2025 so in 20 years time it will happen.

Yaahhhwn. The power of compound interest. Assuming an inflation rate of 3.5% per year, EVERYTHING will have doubled by 2025. "House prices double by 2025" now does not sound so impressive any more, does it.

In other words anyone on the ladder now has a very good investment any one not should get on.

See above. 3.5% growth per year sounds like a very poor "investment" to me. If you buy UK government gilts now with an expiry in 2025, you will get 4.3% per annum.

Why is it that only for houses uninformed writers use nominal figures rather than inflation adjusted figures.

houseprices will double

Research by internet bank Mint suggests the price of an average property will rise to over £330,000 by 2025.

What, for 2 bed semis? And are average incomes going to rise by as much...?? I'm sure Gordon B will be happy about that. "Research" my @rse. And just what are all the other people not 'on the ladder' by then going to do? where are they going to live? And are they going to be happy about it? £330,000 my @rse!

Cloud f*****g cuckoo land!

Guest muttley

And that's assuming a linear increase.The housing market is not linear,it is cyclical.

In 2 years time you will be able to reprint this article as "House Prices to Treble by 2025" and both articles would be correct.

Edited by muttley

Research by internet bank Mint suggests the price of an average property will rise to over £330,000 by 2025.

LOL- banks reporting the facts, it's akin to the Nazi propaganda machine

Could it be - that- er, banks do the reporting as they make gains from it?, hmmmn?

Why, well, its coz they get to rake in all that Loverly Interest Money to get record profits.

Have you heard of the term Vested Interests?, this report is a "classic" example! :D

Of course they're all going to say "House prices Soar/Rise/Rocket/Reach for the stars" ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest prudence

houseprices will double

Doubling your investment over a 20 year period and not adjusted for inflation. If you think that is good going you are destined to remain poor...............

Yaahhhwn. The power of compound interest. Assuming an inflation rate of 3.5% per year, EVERYTHING will have doubled by 2025. "House prices double by 2025" now does not sound so impressive any more, does it.

Absolutely!

Think how much Wages/ cost of living per pound was 20 years ago? 160k in 1985 is like what 300k is now. This is called "Inflation". So 300-odd k in 2025 isnt going to be that much is it?

(sorry to keep spelling things out but some people seem too not get there heads around stuff )

houseprices will double

Articles like this make me furious, buy now and make money in twenty years time and hope like hell that you don't lose your job, experience a change in circumstances and hope that the research done results in an accurate prediction. No one knows where we will be in twenty years time. I'm a researcher and I know that any researcher would put a whole series of caveats on any future predictions.

This is exactly the same crap you get from people who say that anywhere at all in London is a great buy because we will get the Olympics in 2012. Who cares what happens in 2012 or 2025, what happens in 2006 to 2009 may have more of an impact than any of this stuff. :angry:

I hereby nominate this thread as a contender for "lame bull argument of the week"

"Please buy this overpriced, depreciating asset, because in fifteen years time, there might be another bull market, after this bear market subsides"

Edited by Rapid Descent

I hereby nominate this thread as a contender for "lame bull argument of the week"

"Please buy this overpriced, depreciating asset, because in fifteen years time, there might be another bull market, after this bear market subsides"

I second the nomination.

This is a excellent example of "non-news". (I guess that makes it olds??)

Edited by Free Thinker

houseprices will double

I like how you say it "WILL" happen.

Your probably correct, houses will double in price, and Mars Bars will triple in price!

Articles like this make me furious, buy now and make money in twenty years time and hope like hell that you don't lose your job, experience a change in circumstances and hope that the research done results in an accurate prediction. No one knows where we will be in twenty years time. I'm a researcher and I know that any researcher would put a whole series of caveats on any future predictions.

This is exactly the same crap you get from people who say that anywhere at all in London is a great buy because we will get the Olympics in 2012. Who cares what happens in 2012 or 2025, what happens in 2006 to 2009 may have more of an impact than any of this stuff. :angry:

Isnt your HPC a prediction???

Isnt your HPC a prediction???

My HPC????

This is not my website.

What are you on?

A House price crash is a prediction that members of this forum have made but part of the exisitence of this forum is in debating what that means, how likely it is going to happen, when it is likely to happen, how likely it is going to take etc.

One of the problems of dividing the forum along the lines of bulls and bears is that it assumes that all bears think house prices will drop 50% next month when actually there are widely differing views about why, by how much and when house prices will fall amongst bears.

The only thing the bears are saying unanimously is that if prices are going to go up forever with no correction, no threat of negative equity, no crash the money has to come from somewhere and I have yet to hear a bull volunteering where that money is going to come from.

What a fine piece of journalism.

"House prices projected to increase in line with expected average earnings/nominal GDP growth over the medium term."

One might draw a comparison to bears sh1tting in the woods, or the Pope being drawn from the congeregation of the Catholic church....

Rejoice Rejoice

Buy buy buy

whilst stocks last

[An alternative investment might be to buy Lloyds TSB shares which yield around 7.5% and so would "double" in less than 10 years based on the dividend income alone and possibly be subject to takeover by a US bank which would likely lead to a significant capital gain. But that would be silly, everyone knows that the stock market is for mugs and house prices never fall.]

Edited by mxs

To point out that in the distant future prices of a particular asset will be higher than today is a classic "last ditch" attempt to lure the last gullbile investors into that asset, even as doubts about the sustainability of past price rises increase.

Almost exactly the same was said about shares in 1999/2000. ("Never mind the stock market looks lofty; shares are a long term investment and in the long run they will be higher"). Well, they are still below 1999/2000 levels, and will remain so for a long time.

The same will happen to house prices. You buy today, your house may be worth the same (in nominal terms, thus much less in real terms) in 10 years time. You buy in 5 years time, and in 10 years from now your house may be worth a good while more than when you bought. Timing IS relevant.

And that's assuming a linear increase.The housing market is not linear,it is cyclical.

In 2 years time you will be able to reprint this article as "House Prices to Treble by 2005" and both articles would be correct.

Nice one Muttley! I cracked up when I read that! Right on the nail!

Guest pioneer31

houseprices will double

is that your own avatar?

only asking because its 'you're' not 'your'

:P

What is rather sobering about this estimate (2x nominal, 20 years, 3.5% pa) is the sheer length of time it will now take to get there, especially compared with the recent 5-year doubling in the South and the almost ‘over night’ doubling in the North. And, of course, we are the top of the current HP cycle with a significant overvalue and historically low IRs further supporting the price – so taking all this into account leaves the long term investment view looking rather gloomy. But the ‘hidden’ cost of the low growth is that the mortgage servicing costs will remain at a high proportion of income for much longer than before – this 20 year timescale can also be interpreted as the halving time for the debt servicing burden, particularly depressing for those that have bought recently and stretched themselves. But as it’s going to get worse in the short term, it will be very long and slow painful trek even up to this distant ‘bright point’ in 2025.