House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Panasonic To Shed 140 Jobs In Cardiff

...and yet I am still waiting to hear of one public sector worker in my area fired...

Interestingly, the sixth form colleges, the two unis and the DVLA came out on strike yesterday in support of all the striking teachers - thousands in Swansea...

Guess how many turned up to the demo in the city centre - 150 tops!

Jobs are going back to Japan... but now it looks like the Welsh Assembly are going to be tapped for money to keep the jobs in Wales...

They did say they weren't going to do that any more.

Well, actually, Ieuan Wyn Jones said they weren't going to do that any more, but since he and the Blaid no longer have any say in the matter, it may well be back to the old ways.

Jobs are going back to Japan... but now it looks like the Welsh Assembly are going to be tapped for money to keep the jobs in Wales...

That's quite seriously not the way it works. Panasonic like most Japanese manufacturers has an assembly and distribution base in the UK to service the UK market. The really high value components are made in the motherland but for the most part if the local market declines, local jobs go.

As an aside, Panasonic's not been doing all that well in the UK and European markets. Shame - they do make good products.

...and yet I am still waiting to hear of one public sector worker in my area fired...

Well your area must be unique as I reckon my average headcount at my public sector clients all across the east midland and south east is down by a good 50 per client (average of around 9% of the workforce)

Well your area must be unique as I reckon my average headcount at my public sector clients all across the east midland and south east is down by a good 50 per client (average of around 9% of the workforce)

Unique? No. Wales. Yes.

Unique? No. Wales. Yes.

I'm really annoyed. I wanted to post that "Failed in Wales" "Not the Nine O Clock News" sketch from the 80's but its not on Youtube! sad.gif

This will have to do instead.

Edited by John Steed

I'm really annoyed. I wanted to post that "Failed in Wales" "Not the Nine O Clock News" sketch from the 80's but its not on Youtube! sad.gif

This will have to do instead.

4:40 in :P

That's quite seriously not the way it works. Panasonic like most Japanese manufacturers has an assembly and distribution base in the UK to service the UK market. The really high value components are made in the motherland but for the most part if the local market declines, local jobs go.

As an aside, Panasonic's not been doing all that well in the UK and European markets. Shame - they do make good products.

The unit they're talking of closing isn't assembly or distribution, it's a design centre.

There goes the knowledge economy.

Interestingly, the sixth form colleges, the two unis and the DVLA came out on strike yesterday in support of all the striking teachers - thousands in Swansea...

Guess how many turned up to the demo in the city centre - 150 tops!

I have heard of first council workers being given NOTICE here. Not gone yet though. Also, quangos have been giving people the push for several months. I think Assembly said they were going to support public sector for as long as possible, or something.

Edited by gruffydd

Simple if you dont have a manufacturing facility in the UK them items need to have an import tax on them.

The IMF and WTO (i.e. mouthpieces of international banksters and global businesses) don't like import tariffs. "Liberalisation" of global markets is their mantra.

The present government is idealogically opposed to import tariffs anyway, and frankly I can't imagine a UK government of any hue succeeding in standing up to the above, even if it wanted to.

The IMF and WTO (i.e. mouthpieces of international banksters and global businesses) don't like import tariffs. "Liberalisation" of global markets is their mantra.

The present government is idealogically opposed to import tariffs anyway, and frankly I can't imagine a UK government of any hue succeeding in standing up to the above, even if it wanted to.

Didn't the EU raise import tarriffs on slave labour shoes a couple of years ago?

How did they get away with that?

(I agree with tarriffs but accept that free trade would be possible if taxes in developed countries were far lower)

Didn't the EU raise import tarriffs on slave labour shoes a couple of years ago?

(I agree with tarriffs but accept that free trade would be possible if taxes in developed countries were far lower)

Well, it was more an "anti dumping" import duty (which the WTO does let countries and trading blocs impose to an extent), but it ended as of 1st April this year.

There's no import tariff on wine or cigarettes from Europe.

We just call it a local tax instead.

There's no import tariff on wine or cigarettes from Europe.

We just call it a local tax instead.

Trouble is, you have to find a fairly good excuse for taxes like that. It's scientifically provable and proven that tobacco and alcohol are bad for human health.

Shame the Institute of Cancer Research found that mobile phones don't cause cancer after all.

Also, it's difficult to tax television sets - they are able to show other things than X Factor, and you'd need a large-scale test on the state of viewers' brains before and after watching it to have scientific proof of harm.

Designing for ... the UK market.

Makes sense the design centre goes.

Isn't the final plan to have everything done via computer? Internet TV , etc.