House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DannyT

Gold Vending Machine In London Shopping Centre !

I'm trying to imagine the intense stupidity and misery of flogging (or otherwise exchanging) a 1g nugget at some point in the future - it doesn't exactly signify a big league player does it?

I'm trying to imagine the intense stupidity and misery of flogging (or otherwise exchanging) a 1g nugget at some point in the future - it doesn't exactly signify a big league player does it?

Better than being one of the other 62 million who aren't involved in any way at all though.

Sticking a Gold vending machine in white city/shepherd bush . I don't think it takes mystic meg to see what the outcome of this is going to be . Not v impressive pricing either , make Chard look cheap :ph34r:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010145/Gold-Go-vending-machine-opens-Westfield-shopping-centre.html

The Daily Mail mentions a 1g bar is around £40, which is about right. Coininvestdirect are selling them for around £38.50 and then you would have to add the postage. 1g bars have never been ideal for investment purposes, the amount of metal involved and the cost of production are prohibitive. You really want to be buying 5g bars and above. However, as one guy mentioned, on the BBC interview, sovereigns with their long history would be the things to buy.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

When gold is $10,000 an ounce plus?

Better than being one of the other 62 million who aren't involved in any way at all though.

Surely at least a few million of them have gold fillings?

I imagine a gold filling is far more than 1g.

Surely at least a few million of them have gold fillings?

I imagine a gold filling is far more than 1g.

Wonder how long it's going to be before someone gets coshed for their Gold teeth...

They seem to be stealing everything at the minute, now fire hydrants and manhole covers:-

Authorities offer $500 for tips in heist of dozens of hydrants

The unintended consequences of printing money like there is no tomorrow!

When gold is $10,000 an ounce plus?

I have always preferred buying fractional coins, British and European, for the very reason you state. I have half a dozen Credit Suisse 1g bars in my collection, however at 30%+ above spot, I prefer to buy half sovereigns or 1/10 Britannias. I have never bought the quarter sovs though.

I have always preferred buying fractional coins, British and European, for the very reason you state. I have half a dozen Credit Suisse 1g bars in my collection, however at 30%+ above spot, I prefer to buy half sovereigns or 1/10 Britannias. I have never bought the quarter sovs though.

Yes, not a bad idea. It's far better to be buying one of these per month and slowly accumulating them, than to keep thinking "I can't afford a full Sov this month", and then not buying at all.

I know the premiums are high (-ish) but then that was what some people were saying about the 17 1/2% VAT on silver. Hands up all those who bought a few years ago, and have now left that profit margin far behind? I imagine that the rate of increase could well be higher in future, so there's going to be plenty of profits to be had. Look at the price of Gold on this graph;

http://www.cooksongold.com/mp/history_chart.jsp?metal=AU&period=3&chart=3

(With obvious acknowledgement that we're looking at debasement of the currency at least as much as an increase in the price of gold; but then again, hands up all those who were bleating that we, on this forum, aren't making any money. - oh yes, that's right, we've been preserving our wealth, what's happened to yours? I can't afford a kilo bar of silver anything like as easily as I used to be able, so there must be some increase over the rate of inflation/debasement. The more I see the price of silver and gold go up over the rate of increase of my salary, then the more I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and going La-la-la, because even my Palladium has done 100% since I bought it.)

And as for silver, I'm heard of a possible drop down to $20 per oz, with a view to buying more.

http://thedevilsmetal.blogspot.com/2011/06/silver-is-going-to-20oz.html

But then he may be very, very, wrong indeed if QE3 kicks in or the Chinese dump any more dollars than they already (sensibly) are.

Sticking a Gold vending machine in white city/shepherd bush . I don't think it takes mystic meg to see what the outcome of this is going to be . Not v impressive pricing either , make Chard look cheap :ph34r:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010145/Gold-Go-vending-machine-opens-Westfield-shopping-centre.html

Chard is cheap. If you know of much cheaper (in the UK) i would like you to point me in the general direction.

Chard is cheap. If you know of much cheaper (in the UK) i would like you to point me in the general direction.

It depends what you want. For non-numismatic coins, Hatton Garden Metals seem to consistently offer slightly better value on both buy and sell. Bairds generally beat Chard for buying as well. I've used Chard in the past but don't see any competitive value in their bullion offerings these days.