House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clueless_Academic

Bird Flu May Kill 150 Million -

Don't like this news at all - but could have a massive Negative' effect on all Developed Economies if it plays out -

see : http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=1172896

GENEVA Sep 30, 2005 — The U.N. health agency said Friday it was impossible to estimate how many people might die from a new influenza pandemic, adding that it has warned countries to prepare for a death toll of up to 7.4 million.

"We think that this is the most reasoned position," said World Health Organization spokesman Dick Thompson, warning that "you could pick almost any number."

On Thursday, Dr. David Nabarro the new U.N. coordinator for avian and human influenza warned that the "range of deaths could be anything between 5 and 150 million" from a new pandemic.

++

Unfortunately a consignment of antiviral drugs bought by the Government for £186 million to protect the public against a bird flu pandemic could be rendered useless after the emergence of a resistant strain of the virus.

see : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1806010,00.html

All we can do is 'wait + see', take precautions, + hope governments can 'nip' this in the bud !

Real figure is about 2 Million, he got it a little wrong :) . Pandemic is my baby i.e is the way i reakon we will go out, not meteors etc.

Real figure is about 2 Million, he got it a little wrong :) . Pandemic is my baby i.e is the way i reakon we will go out, not meteors etc.

I plan to go out with my CC maxed out whilst sh*****g my husband :D;):D

Guest magnoliawalls
GENEVA Sep 30, 2005 — The U.N. health agency said Friday it was impossible to estimate how many people might die from a new influenza pandemic, adding that it has warned countries to prepare for a death toll of up to 7.4 million.

"We think that this is the most reasoned position," said World Health Organization spokesman Dick Thompson, warning that "you could pick almost any number."

On Thursday, Dr. David Nabarro the new U.N. coordinator for avian and human influenza warned that the "range of deaths could be anything between 5 and 150 million" from a new pandemic.

It does not say over what time period these deaths are anticipated!

Every year approx 1.3 million people die from malaria.

I remember that flesh eating bug that was gonna kill us all

I think it ate someones elbow once and then quietly f**ked off.

Stories like this are utter ******

ROFLMAO, I like that one!

Nabarro got bitch slapped down off-the-record for scaremongering:

"There is obvious confusion, and I think that has to be straightened out. I don't think you will hear Dr. Nabarro say the same sort of thing again," Reuters quoted WHO influenza spokesman Dick Thompson as telling reporters.