House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Englebert

Canon Xl2

Hey guys and gals. Any video/pc techs out there? I have a Canon XL2 camcorder that refuses to be detected by my pc running Windows 7 64 bit. I plug it in using firewire cable and ...Zilch..the drivers for the unit are not picked up However, I have another cheaper camcorder that my computer detects everytime using the same firewire cable. I have recently taken my XL2 up to the Canon repair centre where they installed a new firewire port on the camera. They have tested it on their laptop running XP and it connects straight away - I have seen this in evidence. When I get the camera home, connect it to my pc....nothing happens! Any ideas what is going on here? Any help or advice appreciated.

I think Win7 64bit may not support the camcorder. Although the 32bit version might.

I'd try booting http://www.ubuntu.com/ from CD/DVD in your PC and see if that will detect the camera.

I've got a Cannon scanner which Win7 64bit won't detect. However I got around that problem by using http://www.virtualbox.org/ and installing a copy of WinXP. If the above CD doesn't work try installing a Linux distro in virtualbox and see if it will pick up the camcorder that way.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/minidv_camcorders/xl2#DriversAndSoftware

Is it this camcorder?

Have you tried installing the software what is here? Does that make any difference?

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look a that software. My gut reaction is that I won't need it as I have in the past been able to use this camcorder with Windows 7 64 bit quite happily without any additional Canon software. Just plugged it in and it played. I only know this thing is driving me nuts! Regarding my pc, how can one camera work and one camera not? You would logically think that the camera would be faulty and yet this supposedly faulty camera is quite easily working in xp.

If you've used it before then it's going to be some recently update maybe? Short of rolling back until you get it working again then you'll have to look for drivers.

Hi SarahBell...I have reformatted my pc and reinstalled Windows 7. So I have no updates and still no luck. I was thinking it may be my motherboard - Asus p6t deluxe v2 - but the fact that my other camcorder installs ok surely means that it is ok. Perplexing!

Hi SarahBell...I have reformatted my pc and reinstalled Windows 7. So I have no updates and still no luck. I was thinking it may be my motherboard - Asus p6t deluxe v2 - but the fact that my other camcorder installs ok surely means that it is ok. Perplexing!

Have you got access to another machine to test it on?

As I've already said try running it a Linux Boot CD, even better if you have any large flash drives install a Linux distro on the USB drive and then boot from it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1424815

See here.

This will then give you an indication of its a motherboard issue / operating system or camcorder.

I have tried this on a couple of other machines and it still does not connect up. I have downloaded the ubuntu software - ran it alongside win 7 (dual boot) and that didn't work. I have borrowed a friend's XL2 and that connects first time with my pc. The culprit it seems must be the camera and yet when I take it to the repair place, they plug it into their laptop with XP and it works! Driving me crazy!

PROBLEM SOLVED! Just insatlled a new Firewire Card with a Texas Instruments chipset. The camera is now detected and works. I still don't get why my friends XL2 was detected but still I'm a happy bloke! Thanks to all those who assisted me on this forum :)