House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Smart Meter Savings 'uncertain' Says Audit Officeonsumers Will End Up Footing The Bill For This Multi-Billion-Pound Scheme. Success Will Be Measured B

Consumers will end up footing the bill for this multi-billion-pound scheme. Success will be measured by whether it delivers real improvements, such as helping people to cut their energy use, switch more easily and get better customer service.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13966532

This is total rubbish, this is about making sure they get the correct price, it will not help cut their bill etc..

They are also set to bring an end to estimated bills, because the technology sends back an accurate meter reading to the energy company every day.

Excellent, another piece of kit to spy on us with.

I can see it now, man uses electric welder and Police kick in door looking for ganja farm :rolleyes:

My concern is one of privacy. They can tell my power usage minute to minute and they can sell that data on. I do not want spy cameras in my home nor spy meters.

Presumably people will start moving off-grid - powering bits of their home with solar, wind or other types of non-traceable power.

it's all about revenue protection.

As the price of energy increases, it's more attaractive to attempt to bypass the meter.

This will alert the power company immediately, and they'll send the boys round........

The only thing they're guaranteed to save money on is the cost of sending people to knock on doors and read meters.

Put the card in the porch window when we went out as we'd missed the bloke the first time - so seimens sent us a letter saying they want our meter readings because they haven't had them.

The bloke doing the readings ignored neighbours card on door and knocked on to read them too... So I suspect he ignored our card too.

Already being installed in some areas? Wonder if that's what the letters from some bunch I'd never heard of were claiming they need to change my meter. I took the view that I've never heard of them, they aren't anyone who I've got a contract with, so even if they are genuine they can sod off.

Smart meters will only obviously help a complete idiot save any money because everyone else realises the fairly basic fact that anything switched off (and probably unplugged considering how much junk doesn't have a proper off switch) isn't using electricity.

Blatently obvious ulterior motives here.

Edit to add: How does it get the data back to the nosey buggers?

Edited by Riedquat

<br /><a href='http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-13966532</a><br />This is total rubbish, this is about making sure they get the correct price, it will not help cut their bill etc..<br />

It's all about control and making vast more profits.

Like congestion charging, the b'stards are going to introduce 'peak time' rates to rip every consumer and business in the UK off to channel more cash to the owners and force bills even higher.

Why are consumers being forced to pay billions extra a year for meter installation when the energy companies are saving money in future - by not employing/paying thousands of meter readers?

More underhand 'hidden' profits for energy company owners - that's why!

Stinks of Top level Govt collusion with the foreign owners of the UK energy companies

(Don't forget Gordon Browns brother, Andrew Brown, was EDF Energy brand, sustainability and external relations director) Brown insisted on UK installing these meters.

How many in Govt are covert 'sleeping' directors/partners in energy companies or associated companies?

<br />My concern is one of privacy. They can tell my power usage minute to minute and they can sell that data on. I do not want spy cameras in my home nor spy meters.<br />

I've had to put up with it since 2007 when the Jewish run Masonic Gar-goyles stuck a chip in my head to spy on me.

Edit to add: How does it get the data back to the nosey buggers?

Radio frequency, they are putting what amounts to a radio transmitter in your home that will transmit xx times a day.

I dont know what sort of rf but anyone that knows about rf's is unlikely to be thrilled by this or the components everywhere outside to form the network. Tin foil at the ready, I dont like this at all

edit it isnt just us, they are installing these all over the states too, now I really dont like it :unsure:

Edited by Number79

<br />Already being installed in some areas? Wonder if that's what the letters from some bunch I'd never heard of were claiming they need to change my meter. I took the view that I've never heard of them, they aren't anyone who I've got a contract with, so even if they are genuine they can sod off. <br /><br />Smart meters will only obviously help a complete idiot save any money because everyone else realises the fairly basic fact that anything switched off (and probably unplugged considering how much junk doesn't have a proper off switch) isn't using electricity.<br /><br />Blatently obvious ulterior motives here.<br /><br />Edit to add: How does it get the data back to the nosey buggers?<br />

Covert Internet over electric cable - that's why they started sticking chips in fridges etc which can phone home over electric cables to 'their' secret 'monitoring' bases.

A Monitor is a book given to Masons by their masterclass for them to follow/learn

eg Camerons new NHS 'Monitor' hint hint - it's all NWO Masonic 'symbolism'

Radio frequency, they are putting what amounts to a radio transmitter in your home that will transmit xx times a day.

I dont know what sort of rf but anyone that knows about rf's is unlikely to be thrilled by this or the components everywhere outside to form the network. Tin foil at the ready, I dont like this at all

edit it isnt just us, they are installing these all over the states too, now I really dont like it :unsure:

Needs to be received somewhere too - mobile phone masts? Time to start looking for somewhere with no mobile coverage (always a plus in any case). Or leave a bit of handy wire mesh or some old lead flashing around the meter.

I suppose it might be possible to induce an interfering signal into the wires.

It's just plain wrong. Next thing will be smart water meters that charge at different rates. Call Alex Jones all you like, but this is Big Brother, global elitism and tyranny rolled into one.

its done via the wires.

Nope, most smart meters in the UK will transmit data to the utility over the mobile phone network. Many people seem happy to hold one of those things next to heir head, so there won't be health issues with one attached to the meter.

Nope, most smart meters in the UK will transmit data to the utility over the mobile phone network. Many people seem happy to hold one of those things next to heir head, so there won't be health issues with one attached to the meter.

I believe that o2 are supplying the sim cards for many of them having had a look into it.

There are concerns in the states that the info transmitted is unencrypted so anyone can get your usage details and know when you are in/out and ripe for a burglary. Either was it appears to be very similar to covert listening devices that use a sim card and can be dialled into.

I believe that o2 are supplying the sim cards for many of them having had a look into it.

There are concerns in the states that the info transmitted is unencrypted so anyone can get your usage details and know when you are in/out and ripe for a burglary. Either was it appears to be very similar to covert listening devices that use a sim card and can be dialled into.

Why do they need such information at all? The only possible argument is to remove the need for someone to go around and check the meter. A far better solution for that would be a button on the meter that sent the reading whenever I pressed it. No privacy concerns there. It's obviously very useful for electricity companies to be able to measure loading but not at the individual house level. Substation level would be good enough there and that's probably done already.

I'm struggling to think of a single good argument for these.

Why do they need such information at all? The only possible argument is to remove the need for someone to go around and check the meter. A far better solution for that would be a button on the meter that sent the reading whenever I pressed it. No privacy concerns there. It's obviously very useful for electricity companies to be able to measure loading but not at the individual house level. Substation level would be good enough there and that's probably done already.

I'm struggling to think of a single good argument for these.

At the moment only more accurate billing. But in future the two-way comms might be needed for more complicated self-generation or storage scenarios.

E.g. metering PV or some other local generation feeding into the grid. Or being able to schedule charging an electric car not just 11pm-6am but when the rest of the grid is quiet, on a per minute basis. Or appliances could react to the local grid conditions and switch into a low power mode during high load periods - like the fridge would avoid switching on for a few minutes if the kettle or shower was on.

It's not going to change the world but it's something that once it's there, there will be new ways to make use of it.

At the moment only more accurate billing. But in future the two-way comms might be needed for more complicated self-generation or storage scenarios.

E.g. metering PV or some other local generation feeding into the grid.

Presumably it's already possible at present to meter both in and out, so not needed for that. And it's far too detailed for an accurate billing requirement, which only needs to know a meter reading when it's time for the bill.

Or being able to schedule charging an electric car not just 11pm-6am but when the rest of the grid is quiet, on a per minute basis.

Or appliances could react to the local grid conditions and switch into a low power mode during high load periods - like the fridge would avoid switching on for a few minutes if the kettle or shower was on.

That requires incoming information but does not require any outgoing (presumably it's the load on the local substation that's important there).

'Smart' metering fails massively on the "Mind you own business" test.