House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Uk Population Grows By 500,000 In 2010

But only 100,000 houses built during that time

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jun/30/uk-population-growth-rate

http://brickonomics.building.co.uk/2011/02/england-sees-102830-new-homes-built-in-2010-%E2%80%93-we-built-more-in-1875/

The country's population rose by 470,000 last year, the highest annual growth rate for nearly 50 years, statistics show. Immigration accounted for almost half this number, the Office for National Statistics said. The UK's population stood at 62.3 million in the year leading up to mid-2010, it revealed.

The figure was up 0.8% on the previous year – the steepest climb since 1962. Statisticians said this is due to there being more women in the key childbearing ages of between 15 and 44 years old.

While there were 12.3 million women of key childbearing age in 2000/01, in 2009/10 there were 12.5 million women.

Another factor is the number of women born in the 1960s and 70s who put off having children and are now having children at older ages than in the past.

Anyone know what the average household size is nowadays?

Seeing as I'm in an inflammatory mood, anyone know what the average family size is for families that do and families that do not receive housing benefit?

For general demographics,no. But for intra-company transfer folks it's between 8 and 10 adults per converted semi-detached. Some of them would like to move to lesser densities, but unfortunately they aren't getting pay increases either - so no go.

How many empty houses are there?

If the population is going up, why are house prices going down?

I think its around 900,000, however a lot of them are located in places where people dont want to really live...

House prices are not going down noticeably apart from Northern Ireland and a few places in the north.

Increasing population is causing house prices to remain too high for most people. It is the market's way of getting more people into a fixed housing space.

IMHO these stats are pulled out of somebodys ar$e...

Everyone I know who has left the UK in recent years (including myself) hasn't informed anyone about it (my last UK tax office thinks I'm between jobs according to a letter with new tax code I got forwarded), how are they counting UK citizens and foreigners leaving the UK?

(actually I did remove myself from the electoral roll, but that doesn't autmatically imply leaving the country)

New arrivals are much easier to count, as people (at least everyone arriving legally) apply for NI, register with a doctor, the electoral roll, etc.

Seeing as I'm in an inflammatory mood, anyone know what the average family size is for families that do and families that do not receive housing benefit?

Two thirds of HB claimants have no children at all.

Without being willing to reform how our society functions... mass immigration is one of the only ways we have out of the rube goldberg trap we have made for ourselves.

A great article someone posted here told of how each new immigrant to Britain is a person who doesn't yet have debt attached to them.

If you bring in someone who is say 26 years old it is another worker to pay the pensions. And likely this 26 year old will have two children in time. Providing two more workers to pay the pensions and to pay the debts our country has taken out.

Ok so immigration (people entering the country) accounted for a half of the increase, I'd wager the other half is births of immigrant families.

Anyone who has been to a maternity ward will find it hard to find a natively English speaking mother.

If you bring in someone who is say 26 years old it is another worker to pay the pensions. And likely this 26 year old will have two children in time. Providing two more workers to pay the pensions and to pay the debts our country has taken out.

That's the theory, but it's flawed.. You assume theyre productive, paying taxes, not claiming income support, housing benefit, child benefit and the like and don't bugger off home. I don't see the 80% of Somalians out of work paying for the other 20%

Ok so immigration (people entering the country) accounted for a half of the increase, I'd wager the other half is births of immigrant families.

Anyone who has been to a maternity ward will find it hard to find a natively English speaking mother.

Yes a lot is the age of the immigrants. Say for arguments sake they brought in 2,000,000 immigrants over the last 10 years who were in their 20's. And 1,000,000 were female. Well over the following years a great number of those young women will have children. If they merely average 2.0 children in their lifetime.. we're looking at 2,000,000 more babies born than otherwise.

A follow on effect is this dramatically shifts teh average age of the population lower. For example if the average Brit is 42, and you bring in a 25 year old woman it slightly moves ti down. But say over the next 10 years she has 2 children.. now there is a 35 year old woman, a 7 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. The average age of the new 3 is just 15 years old.

This is why immigrants can be a relatively small percentage of the overall population, but a big percentage of the women giving birth.

True

Uk is the place to be to have your baby, they would not get the same benefits in their own country for working a few months then having a baby.

We are only at the beginning with the population boom, if something is not done quickly the problems we look at now will look nothing compared with the future.

House prices are not going down noticeably apart from Northern Ireland and a few places in the north.

Increasing population is causing house prices to remain too high for most people. It is the market's way of getting more people into a fixed housing space.

lending is the ONLY thing keeping house prices high.

Merv says so...QE is DESIGNED to keep asset prices high.

True

Uk is the place to be to have your baby, they would not get the same benefits in their own country for working a few months then having a baby.

We are only at the beginning with the population boom, if something is not done quickly the problems we look at now will look nothing compared with the future.

Left wing ideology is anathema to 1st world population reduction.

It offends third worlders human rights to not let them come to the UK , or some such BS.

That's the theory, but it's flawed.. You assume theyre productive, paying taxes, not claiming income support, housing benefit, child benefit and the like and don't bugger off home. I don't see the 80% of Somalians out of work paying for the other 20%

About a third of the staff at the place I work at are foreign - they're mostly European, some USA/Canada/Aus/NZ, a few asians. Mostly young, bright and hard working. The company would simply not exist if it was only British workers as some crucial expertise arrived with these foriegners. Aside from pressure on housing, which could be solved with better government policy, it's nothing but a winner for the UK to have these people here. Yes there are a few migrants arriving in the UK from 3rd world countries who do not integrate well into our modern 1st world society but they must make up only a small minority. It's hard to shut the door on them without exculding valuable people at the same time.

I guess you don't get out of London much do you?

As has often been said here, demand is the desire and ability to pay

If I strategically place a few sheets of plasterboard around my house on the odd night after work, I can create a 1 bed flat ideal for professionals.

In 2002 the average number of persons per household was 2.31.

Average household size

Although I would have expected it to start rising again since then due to housing costs and patterns of immigration.

BTW, the population has grown 3.3 million since 2001, so using the above figure, we needed around 1.4 million homes to be built.

Actual number built: Approaching 2 million :rolleyes:

House building: permanent dwellings completed, by tenure

And they need houses, so you've got to build more, and the infrastructure, then you'll end up bringing even more people in, or they're born, doesn't matter which, needing even more - a system that relies on perpetual increase needs to be abandoned ASAP. Forget the paying the pensions and that artificial man-made concept that has little direct correlation with what actually needs doing. There are easily enough people in the UK already to do enough work to keep everyone in the UK with a reasonable standard of living. Inflating the population to deal with problems in the management of distributing this (which is all money is) is the utmost stupidity unless you like the idea of turning everywhere into Milton Keynes.

Average household size

Although I would have expected it to start rising again since then due to housing costs and patterns of immigration.

BTW, the population has grown 3.3 million since 2001, so using the above figure, we needed around 1.4 million homes to be built.

Actual number built: Approaching 2 million :rolleyes:

House building: permanent dwellings completed, by tenure

That is very interesting indeed! Thanks for that NEO72!

So we have less people/houses that we had in 2001!

Add to that the reduced "ability to pay", due to reduced mortgage availability, and house prices forecasts don't look too good.

Besides, Killer Bunny has posted some very interesting stats in another thread today, showing the piling up of houses for sale in estate agents books. :)

Link: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165986&view=findpost&p=3041040

Edited by Tired of Waiting

I'm in my early 30's, only about 20% of my friends have had a child and I mean A child, the native british population must be in massive decline, if my friends are anything to go by.

Contributing factor to the strong rental market. Rents have definitely risen in the last 12-24 months.

I'm in my early 30's, only about 20% of my friends have had a child and I mean A child, the native british population must be in massive decline, if my friends are anything to go by.

Which should be good news, as long as it doesn't carry on for too many generations. A lower population would be great; the supporting the pensioners issue is only an issue because of the massively inefficient way the current system works (where economic activity is far more important than actual activity).

I'm too unsociable to have enough friends to form any opinions abouit how many kids they're having (that probably won't surprise many here) but my relatives seem to be popping them out these days, although currently they've not reached an average of 1 kid per person.