House Price Crash Forum

Phew...hmv Are Saved...

HOLA441

There is nowhere left for HMV to turn. Hunt down and shoot whoever was in charge of their digital launch. The brand name isn't worth anything. Shame. I remember paying thousands to get racking in their stores, who would do that now? At the massive heights of dance music over a decade ago, they were selling these fake white label 12"s, it was just embarrassing.

Not strictly true, good management is about acting and catching trends, so a move into Gold Mining could well save them and would give great access to Capital markets at the moment

HOLA442

The HMV bosses bonuses are dependent on how the shares of these carefully selected companies perform:

Carpetright Halfords Mothercare

Carphone Warehouse Home Retail Group N Brown Group

Debenhams Kesa Electricals Next

DSG International Kingfisher Topps Tiles

Findel Marks and Spencer WH Smith

Game Group

FTSE bosses can get away with poor performance (relatively) as long as they can pick some shares that are even doggier than their own.

HMV itself will be in plenty of TSR groups for other companies.

By taking equity in failing firms the bankers can have some bonuses while kicking the can down the road. If they write it down now it's a loss, much better to pretend and extend.

HOLA443

Not strictly true, good management is about acting and catching trends, so a move into Gold Mining could well save them and would give great access to Capital markets at the moment

:lol:

They caught the trend for going out of business sure enough.

HOLA444

Great, so they're turning themselves into a dixons who sell music. Fúcking fab idea! Come here my pair of rotting equine friends, I'd like to stitch you together whip you a few more times. That'll work.

They and ALMOST ALL OF THE HIGH STREET will only survive if rent and rates are more than halved.

i.e they won't survive.

Edited by Reck B

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

If they've got 2 years grace it would probably be best to close down all but a few token HMV stores, install vaults in them, buy a load of gold and silver bullion (plus a few miners!) with all the money they would have spent on stock and running costs and sit tight. After 2 years, count up all the profit and pay off the debts.

By that time the pound will be toast and the UK will have a competitive advantage in manufacturing electronics again, so they can then get back to making good solid equipment like the my Dad's 1970's HMV record player that I now own. Obviously something a bit more modern though, like good quality speakers and media centres.

Might just work ;)

But as Redhat said, it's not about that, it's about looting what's left of a dying company while the banks give some grace.

Edited by General Congreve