House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bomberbrown

Help - My House Is Falling Down

This episode is centring on a couple that bought some old crumbling Victorian concrete house and the devastating impact it's having on their health and finances. At the beginning it stated they had a full structural survey but still they have not addressed any repercussions on the surveyors or how they got a mortgage if any???

In fact there are so many questions regarding the situation they are currently in that need answering that it's bloody frustrating watching it!!!!

Other than that, it's quite interesting. ;)

They've celebrated their success with humongous twigs in a vase!

I spotted that too, just shouted "TWIGS IN A VASE!" top of my voice

:lol::lol::lol:

numbers dont make sense. they said they had 25k to spend. then the lowest quotes for just stabilising the walls is 50k plus. but in the end they have renovated the house completely with all the repairs done, new kitchen, new bedroom, new loft bedroom, new bathroom and more. yet they have only spent about 60k

how does this work

Maxed their credit cards. I guess they are using personal loans £25K a pop etc. The man has lost a fair amount of weight. So he's either stressed, working extra hours etc.

Worth it?

The woman, Gudrun, is stunningly beautiful.

Yes. That's why the geek (but otherwise sensible sounding) husband was pressurised into buying the shxt.

TBO, if I get to bang a woman like that, I wouldn't mind buying that house, even if I know precisely the problem. I may even delibrately buying it just to make her feel guilty, so I get more bang for the bucks.

Maxed their credit cards. I guess they are using personal loans £25K a pop etc. The man has lost a fair amount of weight. So he's either stressed, working extra hours etc.

Worth it?

Of course it is - she wants a massive OTT wedding that will prob cost about 15k , then there is the honeymoon - ooo say 5k and then they get back, she'll get knocked up in a year ... kids, lack of income ... impending stress and divorce I wonder?

... maybe the follow-up would be interesting? :D

The woman, Gudrun, is stunningly beautiful.

I concur. B)

Wasn't watching it closely but I cannot believe that someone would buy a c.100 year old house that was well within budget and probably last decorated when Harold Wilson or Ted Heath was PM - yet not query if the 70s wallpaper and carpets were hiding a multitude of sins. :unsure:

Disappointing programme to be honest. I don't think I'll be watching it again.

Like I alluded to in the original post, the programme is called 'Help, my house is falling down!'. Now, this is not an every day occurrence to home owners all around the country, so I would be interested to see in the programme two things:

1. How they found themselves or ended up in this scenario -15 mins (bad investment, dodgy surveyors, buyer idiocy etc etc)

2. How they remedied it - 45 mins (constructive advice)

Ahh well.

Oh, and concerning that humongous vase of twigs. They are no ordinary twigs, they are 'Dalek Twigs'! I recorded the last 15 mins as I was on the phone, so playing back I noticed the twigs moved from room to room. One minute they were by the window in the lounge, then they were by the sofa, then they found themselves in the kitchen. They were massive so you couldn't miss them.

The twigs are gradually taking over...

Bet they put house on the market to sell, better hope any potential buyers haven't seen the programme and are as stupid as they were. For a house to be that crap they can't have had a survey.

The only other question is whether they split before or after the sale.

CV34 5BT – Paradise street (!!!)

As I have thought for a long time, women are great at stopping blokes making stupid decisions but blokes are utterly awful at stopping their ‘other half’ from doing the same.

He was punching above his weight and clearly felt obliged to give her the cottage of her dreams, probably ignoring for financial reasons the real reason why they bought their house for £125k and everything else was £170k plus (not true as there are only a couple of houses that have sold at that price and probably the bigger Victorian terraces opposite.

She looked totally uninterested in him or the house whilst the bad news was streaming in but by the end of it she was probably letting him sh&g her now the house looked all aspiration UK – despite the fact it looked like it had killed him.

I can see him lumbered with it in a few years when she does one. Either that or they will still be trying to pay for it in 20 years time.

As for Beeney, sometimes I think she is a property realist but when at the end she says that they have the cottage of their dreams she fails to highlight this is all brought with money they cannot borrow on anything but high apr credit cards and from family.

What did they say they paid for it?

17/12/2009 £134,500

Thought they said 125 - Brave New World thinks so too "why they bought their house for £125k "

At the start it said they bought it a year and a half ago

08/01/2007 £125,000

Edited by SarahBell

<br />Rewatch page.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.channel4.com/programmes/help-my-house-is-falling-down/episode-guide/series-2/episode-4' class='bbc_url' title='' rel='nofollow'>http://www.channel4....ies-2/episode-4</a><br /><br />Mike and "goddess Gudrun" have posted a coment.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Great, thanks. I've submitted a comment asking the questions I mentioned at the start.

I thought there was a reference to them having been there four years? My lewd and uncharitable thought was that, er, bedroom activities upstairs might literally have risked bringing the house down around their ears and that this was why they had moved into the front room.

I was also wondering what the rules are about condemned buildings. This one really did look as if it could collapse at any time - foundry waste used as aggregate in 150-year-old concrete and now rusting away! - and if it did it would fall straight into the street. Would the programme makers' surveyors have a professional obligation to inform the local authority? Or was the risk exaggerated for effect?

Every couple so far has had to go way over budget, suspect the fee for taking part comes in handy. Even if the programme makers funded the whole thing I suspect the costs would still be peanuts compared to those for an hour of TV drama.

What did they say they paid for it?

17/12/2009 £134,500

Thought they said 125 - Brave New World thinks so too "why they bought their house for £125k "

At the start it said they bought it a year and a half ago

08/01/2007 £125,000

Comment on the 'watch again' C4 link from them:

"We'd just like to correct something that was mentioned on the programme and friends and family have asked for clarity. We bought the house 1.5 years ago not 4. We lived in it for 7 months in 2010 and moved out in January 2011 and removed all the plaster ready for repair work. It's been a long journey over a short period and we have learnt so much!"

Strange given the above information on Rightmove tallying up with a 2007 purchase.

I thought La Beeny was overdoing it a bit. Lots of teeth sucking & voice of doom. Plus she was almost laughing when she used the BRE model to describe what could happen to their house (i.e. fall down).

The way the 3-D section looked, there was only only a band of dodgy concrete upstairs. The core tests elsewhere & the extensive brickwork suggested the problem was fairly localised. If this were true, I would have thought rebuilding the affected areas in brickwork would have been more effective & a whole lot cheaper.

I had some sympathy for that pair, unlike the ones the other week who just couldn't be bothered to fix a gaping hole in their roof. What do they do now though, sell it?

Q:Had you had any subsidence

A:Yes, we fixed it with sticking plaster and covered it with render.