House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

High Street Sales

The high street sales begin and the minimum advert seems to be 50% off, and the rest of the stores are 3 for 2. Though it's the usual rubbish in the stores though.

There seemed to be alot of people shopping this evening. Presumably those on strike or parents taking the kids out?

ALso dire times at HMV http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/30/uk-hmv-update-idUKTRE75T2ZV20110630

Whilst I have no connection with the High Street, I've got to know what wisdom you are sharing?

It was meant to highlight reactive strategies of the retailers. Margins will be under pressure as competition is fierce.

As for HMV we'll they have finance in place so they'll limp on for years.

I applogise for the flippant remark regarding the strikers. I should turn the telly off.

It was meant to highlight reactive strategies of the retailers. Margins will be under pressure as competition is fierce.

Too late for some to react:

T J Hughes store chain enters administration

The firm, which said its sales were "significantly down" on last year, employs more than 4,000 people at its 57 stores across the UK .

An Endless spokesman said: "We have provided TJ Hughes with working capital since March when it was about to fail and knew then that pulling it back from the brink was going to be difficult.

"Trading at the business has continued to be significantly down on last year as a result of difficult retail conditions and the loss of supplier and credit insurer confidence.

Everything must go!

Anyone know how John Lewis are doing? they've weathered the 'recession' (lol) quite well

They always say that. But they would, wouldn't they?

Funny story I heard from my sister today. Newly bankrupt T J Hughes took over the failed Woolworths in her local high street.

That really is like the old joke about being air-lifted off the Titanic by the Hindenburg.

They always say that. But they would, wouldn't they?

Funny story I heard from my sister today. Newly bankrupt T J Hughes took over the failed Woolworths in her local high street.

That really is like the old joke about being air-lifted off the Titanic by the Hindenburg.

In Chester the BSM learner driver shop closed a few months ago, next door is Moben Kitchens, next to that is Habitat, now tranformed into a placard spouting 'everything must go' discount store. On the same Grosvenor st. areapprox 8 Ea's, so hope the pattern keeps up.

Reminds me of the Twilight Zone again ...'waking from one nightmare straight into another.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrDhKiC6lBw

Final Part

Whenever I see 50% off, I automatically think "If you can still make a profit by slashing the price in half, you were simply trying to rip me off in the first place."

it does seem at the mo that the downturn in spending is more about people NOT spending rather than downgrading from M&S to Asda.

If so, things are worse than even I thought.