House Price Crash Forum

Strikes---Merged threads

HOLA441

No chance, Labour will get in with a landslide with lots of promises. Promises which will be paid for by the printing presses. Then we get hyperinflation total collaspe cannibalism me hunting you over the ruins of society for a few years then a hard reset.

...you mean the strikes are for nothing....?....off course ...if Labour get in there will be no pensions.... :rolleyes:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

I used to share that view but am not sure sure these days,

This strike has got very little support, none politically.

Ed Miliband looks even worse for not backing the unions.

Polls aren't crucifying the Tories/Libs and the vast majority of people see to understand the fact that these actions are a necessary evil.

+1

I think the tories' strategy is to keep EM and EB in the front 2 labour seats at all costs until 2015, they are awful; labour have self-destructed by goinbg back to old labour, much like the tories did in 1996 with Hague

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

So how long before the teachers etc go the same way?

this is the funny thing - it is happenign RIGHT NOW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academies_Act_2010

this is an enormous change, which essentially separates schools (both 'free schools' and 'academies') from (1) national pay bargaining and (2) local authority control - they just get the money and are told to get on with it and pay staff whatever wages work (this does mean tyhat you can get very highhly paid staff and also very low paid ones depending on the demand/availabilty, like any market)

the unions are not protesting over this as it is far too subtle and fast for them, furthermore, Michael Gove (who is a superb politician) is converting schools at a frightening pace to the new model, the unions originally said that they would take EACH school conversion to the high court - not when there's about 3 a week you won't!

HOLA446

Strikes are not affecting me at all.

I am off today anyway and was hoping that they would close the school so that I could take daughter out to chessington or lego land for the day but our teachers all seem to be realists so the school is open and I am bored.

Pensions dont look much different to any other pyramid scheme to me apart from them being on an epic scale and somehow legal when done by a government.

HOLA447
HOLA448

strike-school_1934065c.jpg

Fair pensions? So they are protesting because the government haven't removed the unfunded pensions completely and given them all defined contribution schemes like the rest of us?

They don't look as though they are starving. Not one that isn't bordering on clinical obesity.

HOLA449

this is an enormous change, which essentially separates schools (both 'free schools' and 'academies') from (1) national pay bargaining and (2) local authority control - they just get the money and are told to get on with it and pay staff whatever wages work (this does mean tyhat you can get very highhly paid staff and also very low paid ones depending on the demand/availabilty, like any market)

the unions are not protesting over this as it is far too subtle and fast for them, furthermore, Michael Gove (who is a superb politician) is converting schools at a frightening pace to the new model, the unions originally said that they would take EACH school conversion to the high court - not when there's about 3 a week you won't!

What's the pension arrangements for teachers in these academies, out of interest? Can they buy into the central teachers scheme or is it a full-on private sector arrangement where they get whatever the employer can be arsed to sort out?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

What's the pension arrangements for teachers in these academies, out of interest? Can they buy into the central teachers scheme or is it a full-on private sector arrangement where they get whatever the employer can be arsed to sort out?

AFAIK it is the teachers scheme - however, half the problem of teachers' pensions is that their salaries are too high in the first place, exacerbating the required subsidy

b ut since the pension scheme is being sorted out then that is not an issue going forward really

HOLA4413

AFAIK it is the teachers scheme - however, half the problem of teachers' pensions is that their salaries are too high in the first place, exacerbating the required subsidy

b ut since the pension scheme is being sorted out then that is not an issue going forward really

Ta. I'm not sure the academies will lead to a drop in teachers salaries though Surely the academies will have to pay more than the local government rate to attract the best ones? Or maybe just the chance to work in a less constrained environment will attract them; who knows?

HOLA4414

Ta. I'm not sure the academies will lead to a drop in teachers salaries though Surely the academies will have to pay more than the local government rate to attract the best ones? Or maybe just the chance to work in a less constrained environment will attract them; who knows?

depends - if they end up being the majority of schools then they will be freer to set salaries

you can see a physics teacher considerably out-earning an English Lit teacher, for example

and national pay bargained wages may drop in real terms a lot under the tory government anyway

edit: and I don't care if teachers'salaries go UP providing we get better overall VALUE however it works

Edited by Si1

HOLA4415

Teachers are on strike in Swansea... but... the sixth form college lecturers have come out in sympathy... as have the two unis.... as have the DVLA...

Loads of people I know are down the beach or have taken long weekends away...

Basically, most of the workers in Swansea in the public sector, save the council and NHS, are on strike.

HOLA4416

Teachers are on strike in Swansea... but... the sixth form college lecturers have come out in sympathy... as have the two unis.... as have the DVLA...

Loads of people I know are down the beach or have taken long weekends away...

Basically, most of the workers in Swansea in the public sector, save the council and NHS, are on strike.

I am so f*cking glad I don't live in Wales, who/what pays for this, UK taxes or Wales taxes?

HOLA4417

You shouldn't make assumptions about things when you don't know the facts.

Academies are one of the main issues the teaching unions are fighting about at the moment.

How many other statements do you make with zero research?

HOLA4418

My partner is a teacher. She decided to go into work because she doesn't agree with the strike action. She sees the bigger picture.

Half the staff at her school are off though, and it's closed to the kids.

I assume she will be leaving the union then?

HOLA4419

You shouldn't make assumptions about things when you don't know the facts.

Academies are one of the main issues the teaching unions are fighting about at the moment.

How many other statements do you make with zero research?

are you b*llsh*tting me? I'm aware they object, but they have achieved nothing of any subtance in terms of resistance or public profile, ergo no practical protest, unless you wantr to play pretend protests

HOLA4420

Oooh. A protest march just went past our window in Sheffield. Flags, drums children carrying placards. The works. Naturally prompted a debate in our office.

No one has any sympathy or offered any support. Full stop. Everyone understands that they feel a bit pee'd off, but the fundamentals insist a change is necessary. In fact, a lot said the protest made them feel sick and angry.

Oh not noticed anyone missing from work either....

HOLA4421

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/a-guide-to-strike-etiquette-201106304015/

If the striker continues to insist that you should pay for his pension and that he should retire five years earlier than you, always say 'pardon me?' rather than 'huh?', 'come again?' or 'what in the name of shitting ****** are you talking about you delusional, self-serving piss-bucket?'.

HOLA4422

Well I'm doing my bit on social networking sites. Sowing discord and contempt to the strikers and reminding them it was all Gordon's fault, and most of the union leaders are on FAT pensions :)

Funny, I didn't hear their voices when it was the private sector getting butt-f***ed.

HOLA4423

Well I'm doing my bit on social networking sites. Sowing discord and contempt to the strikers and reminding them it was all Gordon's fault, and most of the union leaders are on FAT pensions :)

Funny, I didn't hear their voices when it was the private sector getting butt-f***ed.

Me too. Having a right go on Facebook!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425