House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Heartburn?

Anyone with experience of heartburn or related maladies?

I've not experienced this before, but I'm getting a burning across my chest & a feeling similar to a burst of adrenalin. It's been there a few days now. I'm assuming this is heartburn, & taking rennie (with little effect).

Is there anything else I should try?

I'm a picture of health generally btw, so this comes as a surprise....

I've not experienced this before, but I'm getting a burning across my chest & a feeling similar to a burst of adrenalin. It's been there a few days now. I'm assuming this is heartburn, & taking rennie (with little effect).

Seeing a GP on the NHS is free.

Go and do it.

Yea go to GP, try to resist searching on Interweb, it will just freak you out & chances are it's nothing serious but best to make an appt. What happened to the poster with freckles on his palms in the end?

Very sorry to day this but I knew someone who died of a heart attack shortly after the symptoms you have described. Probably it's nothing but why take a chance? See a doctor ASAP. Best of luck.

Do you pay National Insurance ? Don't waste time going to a GP - you will probably have to wait for days.

Head to your local A & E and tell them the score. Chest pains for a few days. They will give you a full check up instantly. Probably be in there for 3-4 hours but at least it will put your mind at rest. And if you do have problems of that sort no better place to be.

I went in once when I had some chest pain [was just muscle stuff in the end] - felt a bit of an idiot - but hey who cares. Better to be safe than sorry. And I am pretty sure if you go in with that sort of pain they have to give you the once over. I told them I thought it was nothing but they had me stripped off in a jiffy and everything.

You will probably feel like a bit of a tool for doing it - then again - as others have said there is the slight chance you could look like a dead tool. And they do have adverts all over the place saying any constant chest pain = call 999. So it is not as if you are doing something you are not supposed to.

Yea go to GP, try to resist searching on Interweb, it will just freak you out & chances are it's nothing serious but best to make an appt. What happened to the poster with freckles on his palms in the end?

He hasn't been on here for a while since he went blind and can no longer type due to cramps.

Do you smoke?

The internet is great for scaring the s*** out of you isn't ? :D

I don't smoke, no. Like I said, I should be a picture of health. This has got to be something minor....

The only longshot is my low calorie lifestyle may have strained something. It can be a danger. But I'm hardly wasting away physically. On the contrary I've never felt fitter.

It's more likely my weekend blow outs have caused a reflux (alcohol and food). I don't know.

Most probably I'll take sick leave tomorrow and see either a doc or drop into a&e, as you guys have advised. No doubt I'll be embarrassed to discover it was indigestion ;)

I don't smoke, no. Like I said, I should be a picture of health. This has got to be something minor....

The only longshot is my low calorie lifestyle may have strained something. It can be a danger. But I'm hardly wasting away physically. On the contrary I've never felt fitter.

It's more likely my weekend blow outs have caused a reflux (alcohol and food). I don't know.

Most probably I'll take sick leave tomorrow and see either a doc or drop into a&e, as you guys have advised. No doubt I'll be embarrassed to discover it was indigestion ;)

Well, let your doctor diagnose you, not the forum. Leave the financial forensics and market analysis to us though.

Yes, binging on booze over the weekends does a lot of harm to the GI tract, because it increases stomach acid and relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter.

I'm a healthy puppy but after a heavy weekend I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with a burning throat from reflux. Gross.

I work in Ambulance control. That's precisely the sort of call I'd send an emergency ambulance to - within 8 minutes, especially if you're over 35. If you're still alive, check with your doctor, or the local walk-in GP.

Have you visitied a health care professional?

You been yet? If not PM me - this is my day job.

OK, well I was lucky to get a quick doctors appointment today, and got an opinion promptly.

I think the doc was looking for a muscle strain, but didn't find one. Predictably it was all very inconclusive.

I've been referred to a hospital for ECG tests, running on a treadmill etc. The doctor wasn't generous with information, but the possibility of angina was mentioned. I am 39 btw, get regular exercise and very slim.

If they tell me it's angina I'll fall off my chair. I don't believe it can be. I have been called a stress merchant many times, but even so. However, as a precaution I'll get the tests. I should get an appointment letter soon.

The doctor suggested Gaviscon in the time being so I bought a bottle of that. Hopefully I won't choke to death on it ;)

I've been referred to a hospital for ECG tests, running on a treadmill etc. The doctor wasn't generous with information, but the possibility of angina was mentioned. I am 39 btw, get regular exercise and very slim.

If they tell me it's angina I'll fall off my chair. I don't believe it can be. I have been called a stress merchant many times, but even so. However, as a precaution I'll get the tests. I should get an appointment letter soon.

The doctor suggested Gaviscon in the time being so I bought a bottle of that. Hopefully I won't choke to death on it ;)

Whilst there is probably nothing wrong with you, it's good to take these things seriously. Being under 40 does not make one invincible.

A cousin of mine is your age. She was a ballerina and is still very fit. She has heart problems induced by stress. (She is a bit of an OC stress bunny.)

I know of more than one very athletic, type A personality, male under 40 who has dropped dead on the squash court from a heart attack.

One of the worst cases happened 2 weeks ago. Another cousin of mine booked a flight down to Sydney to attend a big 40th birthday party of a close friend. It turned into a funeral trip. The day before the friend's birthday, his wife saw their kids mucking around and jumping all over him as she went out to shop. She came back from the shopping to find him in the same position. Kids still jumping all over him in the same position and one of them says to her that daddy has been making funny snoring sounds for quite a while. Dead. Aged 39 years and 364 days.

OK, well I was lucky to get a quick doctors appointment today, and got an opinion promptly.

I think the doc was looking for a muscle strain, but didn't find one. Predictably it was all very inconclusive.

I got a terrible pain in the gut about a month ago when getting out of a chair.It lasted for a week or so before I went to the quack.Raft of blood tests,all ok.It persisted,Right upper quadrant just beneath the ribs.The internet threw up liver,gall bladder and pancreas as potential problem areas,it got so it was uncomfortable to walk.

I had a scan wednesday,all ok,it is getting better now and I do suspect a strained muscle was the cause.Not sure about the internet though,once you see symptoms you start imagining all kinds of things and in reality there is probably only ever a tiny chance something is serious.

I got a terrible pain in the gut about a month ago when getting out of a chair.It lasted for a week or so before I went to the quack.Raft of blood tests,all ok.It persisted,Right upper quadrant just beneath the ribs.The internet threw up liver,gall bladder and pancreas as potential problem areas,it got so it was uncomfortable to walk.

I had a scan wednesday,all ok,it is getting better now and I do suspect a strained muscle was the cause.Not sure about the internet though,once you see symptoms you start imagining all kinds of things and in reality there is probably only ever a tiny chance something is serious.

It is possible to link anything on the internet to AIDS or cancer. Seriously. Give it a go. Internet must be the hypochondriacs worst nightmare.

It is possible to link anything on the internet to AIDS or cancer. Seriously. Give it a go. Internet must be the hypochondriacs worst nightmare.

Or should that be ultimate dream? A bit like a Masochist .

Or should that be ultimate dream? A bit like a Masochist .

True. But I imagine most of these people actually wish they were different ? Maybe not. They cannot enjoy it can they ?!

Then again - people are ******ed in the head - so perhaps.

I'm the opposite.

I look up any aches and pains I may have, on the Internet, ignore anything serious, self diagnose the least serious possibility and then ignore it until it goes away :lol:.

I'm the opposite.

I look up any aches and pains I may have, on the Internet, ignore anything serious, self diagnose the least serious possibility and then ignore it until it goes away :lol:.

Well that's the logical approach and if a pain only lasts a few days or isn't severe it's good practice.However,with serious conditions delay can be extremely undesirable.Cancers in particular that have an excellent prognosis can get much more difficult to treat if left. Mrs P had an uncle who had a localised and highly treatable skin cancer but he refused to see the doctor until it was too late,it killed him.

As for your point Mr CCC, I guess hypochondria isn't a condition that can give enjoyment but as you rightly observe many people are f***** up headwise.I guess paedophiles would prefer not to be that way either.

I had a pain just at bottom of my ribs. Bad but not bad enough to make me cry. I assumed it was my cough having done it. That's mostly gone (mid March it started) but I am going very wheezy from time to time.

I didn't go to the docs with that as I am sick of going. I also have two hospital appointments coming up and have had a chest xray 6 ish weeks ago and that was fine.

I had a pain just at bottom of my ribs. Bad but not bad enough to make me cry. I assumed it was my cough having done it. That's mostly gone (mid March it started) but I am going very wheezy from time to time.

I didn't go to the docs with that as I am sick of going. I also have two hospital appointments coming up and have had a chest xray 6 ish weeks ago and that was fine.

Yes, I know what you mean.Until I turned fifty I hardly visited the doctor at all.You almost feel as if you are bothering them unduly but it is important to get things checked out for the reason I mentioned before.I went last se[ptember and requested a glucose test because my mother had and my elder brother has Diabetes T2.When I when back for a re test in March I was just over the line at 7.5 and I have since lost 11kg and dropped back into the non diabetes level of 6.1.Now if I had not had the check I would still be overweight (well I still am but not as much and still losing about 0.5kg a week)

This will save the NHS a lot of money compared to me carrying on my old lifestyle and developing lots of complications.

Yes, I know what you mean.Until I turned fifty

This will save the NHS a lot of money compared to me carrying on my old lifestyle and developing lots of complications.

I have my BP took when I go for the pill so that was how I found that was high - had to have visits to nurse at GPs and then found out my parents both on meds for high BP and have tons of other stuff (oesteo- and rheumatoid arthritis and other fun stuff) so have had that monitors. Had cholesterol done (4.9) and a ECG too.

A year later I'm not much lighter but my BP is down and my cholesterol is 3.7 but still due in August for another BP reading.

So I go enough as it is with the numb face being investigated still and now a dodgy gum/filling needs the hospital dentist's advice.

;-/

and only just 40 here. ;-/