House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thane Tasker

The Music Industry Exposed

How the music industry releases the same song time and time again. Why do you buy this shit?

I don't. By "the music industry" surely you mean "the mainstream pop music industry"? Saying mainstream manufactured pop is drivel is like being surprised that McDonalds isn't a gourmet meal. There's plenty of good innovation going on out there on independent and alternative labels and indeed unsigned bands pushing music out online.

As for the website you link to.. I think the people there need to get out a bit more.

Edit: Having read the site a bit more I think people need to take a step back and think because there's a general hysterical loss of objectivity coupled with the "and those of us who *know* what's going on know what's *really* going on". It's utter utter drivel. Why does Lady Gaga cover her eye? Is she in cahoots with the illuminati?! Nope, it 's done to detract attention from her rather large nose. Seriously.

I don't. By "the music industry" surely you mean "the mainstream pop music industry"? Saying mainstream manufactured pop is drivel is like being surprised that McDonalds isn't a gourmet meal. There's plenty of good innovation going on out there on independent and alternative labels and indeed unsigned bands pushing music out online.

As for the website you link to.. I think the people there need to get out a bit more.

You didn't watch the video did you, and as you can't be bothered to watch the video I can't be bothered discuss it with you.

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." -- Albert Einstein.

You didn't watch the video did you, and as you can't be bothered to watch the video I can't be bothered discuss it with you.

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." -- Albert Einstein.

Gosh you are clever digging that quote out aren't you! Use it often do we? ;)

Or is this all a diversional tactic being use by me because I'm good mates with bands and producers who work for major labels and am therefore "one of them". Quick! Run! Put your tinfoil hat on! They're *everywhere*!

In all seriousness, I'll watch the videos when I get home, but from reading the articles and browsing the forums there's a bit too much paranoia going on by people trying to make square pegs fit into a round holes. I think if you worked in the industry you'd probably notice that nothing particularly sinister is going on beyond people ******ing other people over for money, much like any other industry.

What exactly is the problem? If you don't like the music, don't buy it. Just because songs use the same chord progressions (lets casually ignore the myriad other components of a good pop record, like, oh I don't know, lyrics, instrumentation, tempo, key, and so on...) doesn't mean that they are completely derivative and worthless. Most music is derivative in some sense; it's how we can tell it's music and not a stumbling collection of tuneless noises.

You may as well berate artists because, you know, they're always using the same old colours in every painting, or film makers because, like, so many films out there use the same overall story arc.

(clue: it's because the chord progression/story arc is a proven popular theme and sells).

What exactly is the problem? If you don't like the music, don't buy it......

Well said that man! You either like it or you don't. Did anyone really hear Beyonce's "If I were a boy" and say "Hang on. This is the same tune as Green Day's "21 Guns"!"? Not me.

This sort of analysis is like trying and disect a joke to try and find out what makes it funny and then coming to the conclusion that it's chickens.

I play Jazz. The same set of 100 standards, over and over again, by different people. For me, it never gets boring, ever.

Nice..

This sort of criticism is like saying that blues is just the same three chords with the occassional seventh or relative minor therefore blues is rubbish and rock is just a development of blues so rock must be rubbish too and punk which was just stripped down rock in fact all blues derived music is rubbish. Music speaks to the instincts, it does not pay to get too intellectual about it.

Respect to the jazz player above. My reaction to all time signiatures I dont instinctively understand is 'what do you think this is , a bl00dy jazz band'

I'm sorry, but much as I love the BeeGees, nothing NOTHING should EVER play over Dave Gilmour's solo at the end of The Wall.

:angry:

How the music industry releases the same song time and time again. Why do you buy this shit?

to find out more of how truly sick the music industry is look here

Constant repetition can only go so far in making a tune "catchy"

people's tastes do change,and hearing the same old crap again and again can get very,very boring after a time.

periodically,the record needs to be changed(I just wish our politicians realised their record seems to be broken)

to find out more of how truly sick the music industry is look here

TECH1210.JPG

i wondered why these existed, are tone you deaf?

Gosh you are clever digging that quote out aren't you! Use it often do we? ;)

Or is this all a diversional tactic being use by me because I'm good mates with bands and producers who work for major labels and am therefore "one of them". Quick! Run! Put your tinfoil hat on! They're *everywhere*!

In all seriousness, I'll watch the videos when I get home, but from reading the articles and browsing the forums there's a bit too much paranoia going on by people trying to make square pegs fit into a round holes. I think if you worked in the industry you'd probably notice that nothing particularly sinister is going on beyond people ******ing other people over for money, much like any other industry.

oh I don't know....pretty much every music vid these days seems to have gone a bit samey.

michael jacksons thriller was groundbreaking in it's day,but lady gaga,rhianna and a whole army of other artists seem to have this thing about whole groups of choreographed dancers prancing around in their underwear/latex/pvc and talking about bondage.

quite a novelty if it's a one-off,but do bear in mind your kids are watching this!

Really?

Then perhaps you could provide some links as I would love to hear some quality original and artistic rock or pop music that has been written post 1996, and that isn't pure and utter §hit!

Really, if you know of some good modern guitar and bass music then I would love to ear it!

Really?

Then perhaps you could provide some links as I would love to hear some quality original and artistic rock or pop music that has been written post 1996, and that isn't pure and utter §hit!

massive_attack-mezzanine-frontal.jpg

Really?

Really, if you know of some good modern guitar and bass music then I would love to ear it!

Name some bands (pre 1996) that you really dig, and find some links for you... Agree about Mezzanine though....bloody amazing album..

Well said that man! You either like it or you don't. Did anyone really hear Beyonce's "If I were a boy" and say "Hang on. This is the same tune as Green Day's "21 Guns"!"? Not me.

This sort of analysis is like trying and disect a joke to try and find out what makes it funny and then coming to the conclusion that it's chickens.

that's scary :lol:

even more scary that i like them both.

not sure it really matters that much, i guess there the chords that most stimulate the human brain, much like a dog whistle, uhoh :unsure:

One good thing about Google Trends is that it is now a few years old and you can actually witness when all the manufactured junk was seeded and played on the radio (and laterly the Interweb in all it's forms) before the suckers bought it and snowballed it up.

I agree a lot with the OP, these bands appear to come out of nowhere, go on this production line, hang around for a bit milking people of their money then p*ss off from whence they came with all the suckers loot:

Factory Line

Really?

Why 1996?

Really?

You could start with anything by Spiritualized, Mogwai, Low, Sigur Ros, The National, Wilco....

Why 1996?

It was also in the the mid flow of Britpop, which was also responsible for some utter dirge....Cast anyone? Bloody 'ell...

It was also in the the mid flow of Britpop, which was also responsible for some utter dirge....Cast anyone? Bloody 'ell...

That's what I was thinking. Can't really see it as the high water mark of guitar music myself.

You could start with anything by Spiritualized, Mogwai, Low, Sigur Ros, The National, Wilco....

Name some bands (pre 1996) that you really dig, and find some links for you... Agree about Mezzanine though....bloody amazing album..

I like anything that is good. I dont give a f**k whether it is 'cool' or not, just so long as its good.

For example:

Abba

Sex Pistols

Duran Duran

A-Ha (guilty pleasure of mine)

Depeche Mode

The Chameleons

Stone Roses

Happy Mondays

Stereo MCs

Oasis (yes, at the time they were really good)

Suede

Franz Ferdinand (only first album though)

Why 1996?

1996 was far from the high watermark for rock music, but it was the last time I can remember thier being a glut of really good music around. After that guitar rock all went a bit Coldplay, Snowpatrol, Toploader, whiney whingy

P.S. I tried samples from all those bands you listed and from what I heard, all very middle of the road, nothing that really stands out. (Sigur Ros I already knew about and know they have a few cracking tunes amongst loads of utter sh1t)

I agree that most modern music is awful, but I also thought all the music was awful in 1996. I think that most music is awful most of the time, old music just seems better because there's a lot more of it, and over time you edit out the shit in your mind. Having said that, there's always somebody doing something good, it's just a question of finding it.

From your list, I'd say that your tastes are somewhat different to mine, but try these:

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (2002)

The Dead Weather - Horehound (2009)

The Gossip - Standing in the way of Control (2006)