House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snowflux

Google To Blow Facebook Out Of The Water

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13953416

IMO Google's new rival to Facebook stands a very good chance of success. The one obvious feature missing from Facebook (and a big reason why I don't use it much) is the inability to divide friends into groups. After all, you don't normally talk to your mates about the same things you talk about with, say, your grandmother. Google's "Circles" feature fixes that. God only knows why Facebook haven't introduced something like this - it could well be the death of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-13953416

IMO Google's new rival to Facebook stands a very good chance of success. The one obvious feature missing from Facebook (and a big reason why I don't use it much) is the inability to divide friends into groups. After all, you don't normally talk to your mates about the same things you talk about with, say, your grandmother. Google's "Circles" feature fixes that. God only knows why Facebook haven't introduced something like this - it could well be the death of it.

Facebook had/have a feature like that? You used to be able to set relationships, this is my mum, this is my sister, this is a friend but they binned that feature. I also believe they had/have friend groups? Facebook had some useful features early on which got removed for no apparent reason.

Facebook had/have a feature like that? You used to be able to set relationships, this is my mum, this is my sister, this is a friend but they binned that feature. I also believe they had/have friend groups? Facebook had some useful features early on which got removed for no apparent reason.

Facebook does now have a feature where you can identify relatives, but it's not at all clear whether it is possible to share certain information with subsets of friends. I don't think you can (though, admittedly, I've not tried very hard to find out, having pretty much given up on FB some time ago).

The rate at which my friends (and myself) have been abondoning facebook in the last month is stunning. It's tumbleweed!

The rate at which my friends (and myself) have been abondoning facebook in the last month is stunning. It's tumbleweed!

I agree, its peaked. Also I wonder how much time its wasted. There is something about the design that it quite sinister, even the crappy games, Farmville, etc. Seems to affect dopamine and trigger the various addictive/reward area's of the brain. If people are breaking free its a plus. All we need to do next is get them off X Factor (which works hand in hand with social networking) and then the biggy .... high carb, nutritionless junk food. People might be free to revolt again.

The only good thing about Facebook was a credible advertising alternative to Adwords.

Facebook does have a categories feature. I've got friends, family, blocked and limited. I.e. blocked is people I allow as friends but can't see any info. Limited is people, like those at work who can see some albums but not my wall. Family = obvious.

It takes some tinkering, but once set up it's great. Not that I use Facebook much any more, in fact I would say many people have gone from the "as many friends as possible" mentality, to "do I actually know you"... Then again, maybe I'm getting older.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13953416

You can put friends into groups on facebook.

I think it's called lists though and doesn't offer much function when posting to your wall.

I used it for the first time in a while a few days ago and realised I had missed nothing! I like the basic functionality to keep in touch and share photos, etc. but there is too much trivial s***e posted on there about what people are having for their tea or they just saw a bee in the garden!

On the same day I also sent an email to a few friends which I hadn't done in a while, old school communication.

I've a FB account but never posted and like the OP think that the 'circles' feature will be a winner. In every group of friends I think we always play a slightly different roll. (& position in the male hierarchy) My mates @ work don't care if I've just set a new 10k PB or I'm racing at the weekend, while the run club do (might).

Not been invited yet to google+ but just looking at the picasa upload page they are now allowing 2048x2048 sized pics to be uploaded without it counting towards the 1GB free space limit if you're signed up. Ace news as I was about to upgrade my flickr account.

Never saw the point of facebook, twitter etc.

The protocols for this kind of stuff have always been there (Email,IRC,usenet)

Never saw the point of facebook, twitter etc.

The protocols for this kind of stuff have always been there (Email,IRC,usenet)

email yes, IRC no, usenet hell no - if you can sell the dimwit masses them latter too you'll be the best salesman alive.

one thing i have never understood that hasn't taken off on mass though is instant messaging apps. theire still there, they piss all over crap like skype and facebook. i can only assume it's only too much for the cowellees to understand exe's and browsers.

i too agree though that fb is falling now, these things always tend to do after someone pays $bns for them.

how much longer is left for google though :unsure: anyone here want to admit better alternatives?

Someone recommended this in PC Pro magazine:

http://duckduckgo.com/

Basically it stores no data on its users.

have you tested it?

i just gave a quick search then- ads by yahoo.

i'd only know if it starts to tailor the ads.

personally i'd prefer an anon adless search system, and would make one myself but i don't fancy the bank loan and the paltry donations that would follow my goodwill gesture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-13953416

The only reason Facebook (and Wikipedia and IMDB and LinkedIN) became popular is because it was in bed with people's front door to the Internet: Google. And everyone is so frickin' lazy they click the first result when entering Battle of Gettysburg. Google is the real daddy in this story. It could easily dump Facebook down a ranking or two and rank it's own result higher. People (lazy remember) would soon switch. Look how many people on here do that first page Google image search thing.