House Price Crash Forum

British Consumers Starting To Ration, Says Asda Boss

HOLA441

What does Judith McKenna think about executive pay in the UK? Has she any thoughts on how all our corporations have paid themselves huge salary increases so everything is costing more for hard pressed consumers? Judith and her ilk are part of the problem.

Someone send her an email and explain how the main living cost i.e. housing has been allowed to inflate so it leaves people with less disposable income. The retailers need to realise that the banks are their enemy - they are taking retailers profits via larger mortgages because people have less money to spend.

Executives are worth it.....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

If either of you smoke or drink- give that up first. Switch to pay as you go, if you have Sky cancel it, you won't miss it- Buy clothes from TKmaxx or Ebay. Don't go on holiday for a couple of years.

Eat less processed food. Cook a good batch of home made stew or tomato based sauce at the weekend. This can be used for at least 3 lunches ( if you have it on different bases. ie;- rice, noodles, potatoes...etc, it becomes less monotonous)

Eating Gruel every day is really not good for morale.

You'll be fine, worrying about what will happen in the future is pointless. Preparing for it isn't.

+1

Also people are storing up huge health/obesity issues reliant on huge amounts of horse/bird food. Also won't function well being doped out of your skull on porridge carbs all afternoon.

We know we can buy bird/horse food cheap as its highly processed, empty crap. Having adequate supplies of protein/fat is important too.

There was something on the One Show a few weeks back. Surviving on £50 a week and the women of the household had cupboards full of cereal. I'd rather starve than eat that rubbish. Indeed thats exactly what happens even if you eat the stuff!

Its pointless stocking up on rubbish, that you poop out your bum, 12 hours later.

Edited by John Steed

HOLA444

why are people eating gruel.

all the standard foods like potatoes, chicken, peas, carrots, pork chops, rice, noodles, pasta, theyre not that expensive to make not what id call a budget meal but just a normal meal. add a bit of sauce and its what you eat in a restaurant anyway.

for worktime lunch theres a thing called a loaf of bread and a packet of ham or some cheese, and voila, a sandwich.

HOLA445
HOLA446

for worktime lunch theres a thing called a loaf of bread and a packet of ham or some cheese, and voila, a sandwich.

Not even that. A mozeralla cheese ball 80p from Sainsburys. 300 kcal balanced equally between protein and fat so you won't be hungry 10 minutes later. No carbs or grains to make you sleepy or fatten you like a piggy for market.Oink Oink!

HOLA447

A 5kg bag of potatoes only costs a couple of quid also and can be used in many different ways.

Foraging is free too, get 'Free Food' by Richard Mabey and take it with you on country walks.

There are roadside stalls near to me that sell sacks of spuds for around £6 - must be 25kg at least. Obvioulsy, you need a car though - but local grocers may well deliver for a small fee.

Meanwhile, I share an allotment, and some scumbag's raided a fellow allotment holders plot and dug up and stole a row of top quality field fresh early spuds and a couple of rows of onions. I doubt they're starving, just making some room in the fags n stella budget by not paying for their food.

HOLA448

There are roadside stalls near to me that sell sacks of spuds for around £6 - must be 25kg at least. Obvioulsy, you need a car though - but local grocers may well deliver for a small fee.

Yup, just watch out for stove or topping off, where the bottom of the bag is filled with rotten potatoes and the top filled with decent potatoes.

HOLA449

I'm not as hardcore as you lot (nor do I want to be I think) but for the 5 days at work in Zone 1, lunch/breakfast can be tricky to keep low-cost.

You may laugh, but I have a coffee at work (free) for breakfast, and lunch is typically what's on offer at the local M&S. This week a VERY NICE chicken and bacon Cezar salad is £2.14, a standard Cheese, or Ham sandwich is £1, and there are loads of other very filling meals in that price range. The local Tesco & Sainsbury all do similar 'deals'/promotions. I just follow the closest deal with the lowest net carbs. It also means I'm getting lots of variety.

OK it'll cost more than you £1 a day solutions, but I don't have to cook anything (yes I'm lazy :( ), and it's FAR FAR less than the ~£10 a day I was spending on Latte+crossiant breakfast, £5 lunch until I realised £200 a month for lunch was a bit OTT!

From £200 pm, down to about £40 ~ £60 made a big difference to me. I can drop it more, but at some point you have to start asking how much you're really enjoying it.

HOLA4410

from?

Loads of places do them. As I work for a food company, here some prices:

Rolled Porridge Oats 25kg - £15.25

Organic Porridge Oats 25kg - £24.75

Jumbo Oats 25kg - £15.25

Oats Regular Stabilised 25kg - £12.70

Oats Jumbo 25kg - £12.70

All unbranded, no barcodes.

HOLA4411

crap food costs more than nice food most of the time.

its when people buy ready meals / pre-made / pre packed foods when the prices rack up.

spaghetti bolognese costs maybe £1 in ingredients to make a good one. a lasagne costs maybe £2-3 to make a massive one with lots of meat and cheese sauce.

a stir fry noodles costs maybe £1 in ingredients, a proper home made meaty curry costs no more than £2.

you can even make about 3 large plates of about 25 fish sushi's to last several lunches for about £3 if you really want to push the boat for something different.

make any food yourself and it tastes far far better than ready made stuff at the shops and costs hardly anything.

you can make a home made burger with a quarter pounder of beef, slice of cheese, lettuce, bacon, ham and a fried egg, mayonaise, ketchup, pile it up until the burger is so tall it barely fits your hand, and the cost of it is probably about £1.50 in actual ingredients.

Edited by mfp123

HOLA4412

I'm not as hardcore as you lot (nor do I want to be I think) but for the 5 days at work in Zone 1, lunch/breakfast can be tricky to keep low-cost.

You may laugh, but I have a coffee at work (free) for breakfast, ....

I partake of the free tea and coffee at work also. Speciality teas, filter or instant coffee. I can't understand why some of the younger crowd walk in with a £2.00 starbucks brew clutched in their mits. Lazy/fashion victims I guess.

HOLA4413

Nah - you can get that on a push bike. In my younger days I even managed two 25kg sacks of tatties on my bike at the same time. Did make cycling up the hills hard going though.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Reading this thread I had to check the URL and make sure I hadn't accidentally clicked on MumsNet. Or ExtremeMumsNet by the sounds of it.

Not so much the Ocado van no longer delivers to us, more the "gruel really can be OK for life".

HOLA4417

Reading this thread I had to check the URL and make sure I hadn't accidentally clicked on MumsNet. Or ExtremeMumsNet by the sounds of it.

Not so much the Ocado van no longer delivers to us, more the "gruel really can be OK for life".

...more reality overcomes the unsustainable.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I partake of the free tea and coffee at work also. Speciality teas, filter or instant coffee. I can't understand why some of the younger crowd walk in with a £2.00 starbucks brew clutched in their mits. Lazy/fashion victims I guess.

Dont knock the value of freebie work food & drinks. I volunteer to do all the remote field visits in my job. Freebie food and more.

Fly to facility and get a room in transient housing, nice big bowl of fruit and drinks in the fridge. 3 free meals a day - good ones too. You even get a bar of soap and some shampoo for free!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I was reading a charity leaflet on a BA flight last week, it said £2 will feed a starving child for a day. If £2 feeds you for a day in the UK then how much of that £2 charity contribution is going on admin expenses?

Or is it that the oats and ramen in the UK reflects a world price, and you can't feed anyone anywhere for much less than that?

On a real poverty-diet, £2 will feed you for a week in the UK.

(that's food inflation in 8 years or so since a budget of £1.15-1.20/week sustained me).

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425