House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

British Consumers Starting To Ration, Says Asda Boss

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8604046/British-consumers-starting-to-ration-says-Asda-boss.html

Judith McKenna said the true cost of living was only now "beginning to take its toll on British families" and was worried that policy-makers in Whitehall had little grasp of the impact on low income households.

She revealed Asda's own "average household" income tracking showed families' disposable incomes were falling fast, dropping 8pc year on year in May – the largest decline "ever".

It estimates the average family now has £165 a week in discretionary spending power and are facing a £14 "gap in their pockets" forcing many to ration.

"If you are an average family then £14 is a lot of money every week," she said. "Things are only just starting to bite,"

Ms McKenna said the Government had to explain "in plain English exactly how bad it is and what needs to happen with regular updates explaining where we are with the plan to help calm things down".

Plan A - Print more money

Plan B - If A fails print even more money

Plan C - If all else fails print even more money

Clearly printing all this money is going to boost spending.

£14 is a lot of money to the low paid, however to a trougher it's probably starter at lunch on expenses, hardly anything at all.

Hey £14 a week is ALL I spend on food each week... I have noticed the oats shelves and the 11p ramen (up 1p) packs tend to be sold out all the time though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8604046/British-consumers-starting-to-ration-says-Asda-boss.html

Plan A - Print more money

Plan B - If A fails print even more money

Plan C - If all else fails print even more money

Clearly printing all this money is going to boost spending.

£14 is a lot of money to the low paid, however to a trougher it's probably starter at lunch on expenses, hardly anything at all.

You've missed one vital fact:

Plan A - Print more money - and give it to your banker friends.

Plan B - If A fails print even more money - and give it to your banker friends.

Plan C - If all else fails print even more money - and give it to your banker friends.

The result - inflation - bankers still ahve all the money but everyone is hammered.

Something has to be done about the "independence" of the BoE

You've missed one vital fact:

Plan A - Print more money - and give it to your banker friends.

Plan B - If A fails print even more money - and give it to your banker friends.

Plan C - If all else fails print even more money - and give it to your banker friends.

The result - inflation deflation- bankers still ahve all the money but everyone is hammered.

Edited for accuracy.

There are several possible reasons for this:

1. They're all doing that tesco money back deal that has been cut backfrom it's original amount.

MSE says "There is a maximum £100 per month that Tesco will issue in vouchers."

2. It's about blinking time. People buying less toxic processed food! hurray!

3. Maybe they have down-marketed their shopping - although what's below asda?

4. Maybe local retailers are getting the business as petrol is too dear to drive to the big supermarket (Are there enough small retailers left?)

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Shouldnt this read, Supermarkets increase costs, hope no-one will realise?

Edited by Dan1

Hey £14 a week is ALL I spend on food each week... I have noticed the oats shelves and the 11p ramen (up 1p) packs tend to be sold out all the time though.

I was reading a charity leaflet on a BA flight last week, it said £2 will feed a starving child for a day. If £2 feeds you for a day in the UK then how much of that £2 charity contribution is going on admin expenses?

Or is it that the oats and ramen in the UK reflects a world price, and you can't feed anyone anywhere for much less than that?

I'm having to have an economy drive. The wife loses her job next month and there will be a gap in our budget that we need to close.

Porridge for lunch each day for me. A 60p pack last for 5 lunches and I'm not hungry. Pretty bland, but okay I suppose.

I'm starting to understand what a recession feels like for the little people.

Smart price noodles are always sold out, but I'm going to stock up on those for a bit of variety. I reckon I can get my lunch costs down to £1.50 for the whole week, saving about £10 a week.

I'm suprised they an call the 11p stuff 'Ramen', given the intricate preparation of the proper stuff. I also miss the vital

;)

Smart price noodles are always sold out, but I'm going to stock up on those for a bit of variety. I reckon I can get my lunch costs down to £1.50 for the whole week, saving about £10 a week.

Sure £1.50 was the amount I used to live on each day at Uni, it's surprising how low you can go when you need to. Ate through my fair share of French sticks back then.

I'm having to have an economy drive. The wife loses her job next month and there will be a gap in our budget that we need to close.

Porridge for lunch each day for me. A 60p pack last for 5 lunches and I'm not hungry. Pretty bland, but okay I suppose.

Try Lidl ... I am a regular :ph34r:

yeah,you can live on very little still,especially if you go to the market/eat porridge.

what amazes me is that despite the trouble around the world being related in some part to ben's printing press making life very difficult for those on $2 a day,our politicians still fail to see the problem coming.

there is none so blind as those that are f****** stupid.

They've been doing this for decades though. The idea that a some point the frog will notice the heat and get out of the pot is alien.

Is true though, humans can only be boiled so far, they aren't quite as dumb as frogs.

Why not just buy a 2kg of porridge oats if your on an economy drive?

They've been doing this for decades though. The idea that a some point the frog will notice the heat and get out of the pot is alien.

Is true though, humans can only be boiled so far, they aren't quite as dumb as frogs.

Yep, the Greeks have reacted in a totally unexpected way for the elites.

I was reading a charity leaflet on a BA flight last week, it said £2 will feed a starving child for a day. If £2 feeds you for a day in the UK then how much of that £2 charity contribution is going on admin expenses?

Or is it that the oats and ramen in the UK reflects a world price, and you can't feed anyone anywhere for much less than that?

Get with the times! Those adverts asking for £2 a week are now asking for £5 a week.

Why not just buy a 2kg of porridge oats if your on an economy drive?

2kg? What is this amatuer hour? Cheaper stuff comes in ultra bulk like 25-50 kilo bags. Its still the rolled steamed kind rather than the unprocessed fodder stuff used to feed horses.

2kg? What is this amatuer hour? Cheaper stuff comes in ultra bulk like 25-50 kilo bags. Its still the rolled steamed kind rather than the unprocessed fodder stuff used to feed horses.

from?

Edited for accuracy.

Er, no. If prices were deflating there wouldn't be the shortfall in disposable income which was the whole point of the article.

Er, no. If prices were deflating there wouldn't be the shortfall in disposable income which was the whole point of the article.

I guess you're not in on the joke. RealistBear consistantly bangs on about deflation, much like the BoE and TPTB. They constantly bang on about deflation and are always wrong about it. There is a bit of a gag on HPC whereby prices going up, printing money, wages being squeezed and expansion of money supply is highly deflationary. And that we risk a hyperdeflationary collaspe. Its a it of fun poking towards RB who is being malicious with his uber deflation posts.