House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Has There Been A Masive Increase In Traffic Police Recently?

I have noticed t his also. Maybe the police all these redundancies have motivated some of the deskbound variety.

Perhaps their auditioning for a role in one of the long running series like Traffic Cops?

Cops have to get x number of points every month, its the end of the month and therefore motorists are an easy target to stop to get their points up to the required minimum.

I heard recently we have traffic PCSOs.... Don't know if this has always been the case though

PSCOs have no power to stop you, a few mates have been chased by them, they turned round and informed them they had no such power and would report them. Nothing happened as per usual.

Not a rise in traffic police per se but a rise in traffic stops and initiatives, definitely.

I have seed more cameras out but also a lot of ANPR op's and sealtbelt op's.

It is revenue collecting pure and simple. The budgets are cut and the coffers empty so they are collecting cash and motorists make the easiest targets.

I have seen pcso's being used in the ops but as has been mentioned before they have no powers alone. They are policing on the cheap much like leaving the motorways to be covered by highways agency tosspots that also have no power.

I have also seen a big rise in people being stopped by unmarked cars.

I think that if they are desperate for cash then they should cull some of the pcso's that are feck all use in reality but then that would be adding to the unemployment figures so wont be happening anytime soon. Cuts will come in the form of people retiring not being replaced and the rest will be funded by evil speeders and non seatbelt wearing scum :rolleyes:

I suspect the policing methods of traffic have been changed.

The other day for example I drove through a village I know that has a speed camera. There were literally about 20-30 police, about 5 cars and 3 vans. One at each end of the 30 zone and one in the middle. I have never seen so many police in one place, walking around with clipboards etc.

Certainly now I see less use of the camera vans. I think they have changed to doing these one off high visibility things once every so often.

I think that if they are desperate for cash then they should cull some of the pcso's that are feck all use in reality but then that would be adding to the unemployment figures so wont be happening anytime soon. Cuts will come in the form of people retiring not being replaced and the rest will be funded by evil speeders and non seatbelt wearing scum :rolleyes:

M a cop I know tells me that the cuts have been counter productive.

In that the civvie staff who used to do a lot of paperwork were made to train police officers how to do their jobs before being handed P45s. As such fairly high pay (comparative) cops are spending time doing admin work their civvie staff used to do. Civvie staff made 12-18Kpa and now cops on 30K+ are spending more and more time doing admin work.

Which means they spend less time out there scoring performance points. Which means end of month motorist blitzes are more common as cops spend less time on the streets they have to make up their performance points!

Not a rise in traffic police per se but a rise in traffic stops and initiatives, definitely.

I have seed more cameras out but also a lot of ANPR op's and sealtbelt op's.

It is revenue collecting pure and simple. The budgets are cut and the coffers empty so they are collecting cash and motorists make the easiest targets.

I have seen pcso's being used in the ops but as has been mentioned before they have no powers alone. They are policing on the cheap much like leaving the motorways to be covered by highways agency tosspots that also have no power.

I have also seen a big rise in people being stopped by unmarked cars.

Yeah, in Bath they've started putting the camera vans on the main commuter routes in the mornings (i.e. 7:30 onwards). Deliberately selecting the safest, widest roads with very low accident records.. almost as if the aim is to catch as many people as possible, instead of reducing speeds around accident blackspots.

Near me (West London) there will about 30 of them willing about with a sign saying they are stopping cars to catch criminals. My partner says they are looking for insurance dodgers.

I suspect the policing methods of traffic have been changed.

The other day for example I drove through a village I know that has a speed camera. There were literally about 20-30 police, about 5 cars and 3 vans. One at each end of the 30 zone and one in the middle. I have never seen so many police in one place, walking around with clipboards etc.

Certainly now I see less use of the camera vans. I think they have changed to doing these one off high visibility things once every so often.

That sounds like an anpr op, they are after cars that dont have valid tax/mot/insurance. Not so much to do with being high vis as highly profitable. I dont have a problem with them taking uninsured drivers off the roads though.

A contact in Kent Police told me that their recent re-organisation will mean a lot more patrols on the streets both on foot and in cars.

That isnt a bad thing imo.

The worst thing that most forces did was culled their traffic sections when speed cameras were put up everywhere. Yes the cameras catch speeders and generate revenue but so long as you can spot a bright yellow box and slow down for it then you can pretty much drive how you like now safe in the knowledge that there arent many police on the roads.

It doesnt surprise me at all that the numbers of uninsured drivers on the roads have risen and I wouldnt be shocked to know that the number of drink drivers was going the same way either.

That isnt a bad thing imo.

The worst thing that most forces did was culled their traffic sections when speed cameras were put up everywhere. Yes the cameras catch speeders and generate revenue but so long as you can spot a bright yellow box and slow down for it then you can pretty much drive how you like now safe in the knowledge that there arent many police on the roads.

It doesnt surprise me at all that the numbers of uninsured drivers on the roads have risen and I wouldnt be shocked to know that the number of drink drivers was going the same way either.

I agree. I was just too lazy to write it.

Like most of us, I think, I dont have a problem with the bobby on the street. The policeman walking the neighbourhood does a good job and is good to see.

What I dislike is the police officer, the state revenue collector full of shit about how taking my money from me for breaking shitty rules will save my life and make everyone's better.

The man on the ground does as he is told and when that means making cash then it isnt their fault but it does irk me when they come out with a load of spiel about it. I recently got done for not wearing my seatbelt and got the same spiel from the woman issuing the ticket as I always get, the usual crap about having to tell my family blah blah.....I did point out that it was a one way 30mph zone and no one would be getting killed but that didnt compute.

I consider that a voluntary donation. Thanks Number79. :)

You are quite welcome.

She didnt look quite so thankfull when I threw the ticket on the backseat and declined the offer of reducing the tariff by way of a computer based training course :D

I did the course in the end but she will never know that.

Like most of us, I think, I dont have a problem with the bobby on the street. The policeman walking the neighbourhood does a good job and is good to see.

What I dislike is the police officer, the state revenue collector full of shit about how taking my money from me for breaking shitty rules will save my life and make everyone's better.

The man on the ground does as he is told and when that means making cash then it isnt their fault but it does irk me when they come out with a load of spiel about it. I recently got done for not wearing my seatbelt and got the same spiel from the woman issuing the ticket as I always get, the usual crap about having to tell my family blah blah.....I did point out that it was a one way 30mph zone and no one would be getting killed but that didnt compute.

I'd welcome more coppers on the street, if it meant that it removed bloody speed cameras, but hearing about the number of people I know, have been done recently, they do not use their discretion any more, and ticket everything in sight...I think shitting you up, is usually enough to change your ways...

I'd welcome more coppers on the street, if it meant that it removed bloody speed cameras, but hearing about the number of people I know, have been done recently, they do not use their discretion any more, and ticket everything in sight...I think shitting you up, is usually enough to change your ways...

Sounds like the welsh taliban, they are something else tbh.

Shitting you up? If you get gripped doing 35 in a 30 will you change your ways because of some dogshit story about plod not wanting to have to tell your family that you were dead?

I drive to the road conditions. If the limit is 40, it is midnight and the road is wide enough to do 80 then I will. Stories dont change my ways because they dont change the roads. If you can read a road then you know how it can be driven and a speed limit, at times and within reason, is the suggestion of a fool.

I think that our limits are too high around schools and that they should be variable according to times of day, as they should be everywhere. There is no need for set limits on vast lengths of our roads though, common sense would mean that limits in important areas were observed, just like they are on the continent. What we have is a load of bolox that is ignored b y everyone and enforced by no one.

Shitting you up? If you get gripped doing 35 in a 30 will you change your ways because of some dogshit story about plod not wanting to have to tell your family that you were dead?

I drive to the road conditions. If the limit is 40, it is midnight and the road is wide enough to do 80 then I will. Stories dont change my ways because they dont change the roads. If you can read a road then you know how it can be driven and a speed limit, at times and within reason, is the suggestion of a fool.

I think that our limits are too high around schools and that they should be variable according to times of day, as they should be everywhere. There is no need for set limits on vast lengths of our roads though, common sense would mean that limits in important areas were observed, just like they are on the continent. What we have is a load of bolox that is ignored b y everyone and enforced by no one.

I'm talking about not wearing a seatbelt, or not displaying tax, and other low level driving misdemeanours. About three years ago, I got fined sixty quid for not displaying my road tax...I had it, but just forgot to put it in the window...Just a slight ticking off would have serfised. I agree with you about speeding..its an arbitrary measure, where slow drivers can actually cause accidents...

.You got screwed, there is a national data base, that is the whole point of anpr ops. They know instantly if a car is taxed or insured or mot'd. There is no way that you should accept a fine for having a car not displaying tax assuming that it is taxed because they know full well if it is or not.

She didnt look quite so thankfull when I threw the ticket on the backseat and declined the offer of reducing the tariff by way of a computer based training course :D

Just tell them that £60 is less than your hourly rate and it isn't worth your time. :D

Hope I don't live anywhere near you.

Self righteous,self justification.