House Price Crash Forum
CasualBear

Ea Trolling For Fun And Profit

I'm considering sending a letter to all the local EAs:

Dear *******,

I noticed a few reports in the last few weeks that have raised my interest:

"House prices: four in five homes worth less than five years ago", Daily Telegraph, 22 Jun 2011

"A little-noticed milestone: This week, house prices will have fallen over 30 per cent in real terms", Daily Telegraph, June 27th, 2011

I am a first time buyer who has avoided entry into the housing market whilst it was in a bubble phase. I now find myself waiting with a very significant deposit ready to invest if the right house comes along. I would be grateful if you could send me a list of houses in the price range XXX-XXX from sellers who have come to terms with the new state of the market and are listing their house below 2004 prices.

yours,

CB

Whaddya think? Could be amusing? Probably ignored?

Why a letter? Go in, in person and record it. Then upload to Youtube. Thats the 21st century way! laugh.gif

Why a letter? Go in, in person and record it. Then upload to Youtube. Thats the 21st century way! laugh.gif

Yep, do that. You never know, if you can subtly goad them into hilariously flipping their lid on camera, it could go viral quite easily, especially if loads of HPCer forwarded the link to friends via email and posted on facebook.

A little comedy like that could do wonders for getting the HPC message out.

You need to choose an estate agent who is really on the edge of nervous breakdown for full impact :lol:

Edited by General Congreve

It's not that bad, or funny IMO. Pretty much a clear statement of affairs.

EA's are business people, and like anyone they would prefer you to be clear and frank as regards your requirements. That's not trolling. It's stating things as they are and making sure you and them are not messed around.

There are generally to few EA's in any one area to risk pissing them off by winding them up. That's no way to work with them to get the best price.

For me, before I even view a place I let the agent know what I think it's approximately worth given my intial impressions. Of course I may up down that on viewing the property, but at the end of the day if the EA says that the seller is no way going to come down to that price then it saves us all the waste of time of a viewing. They can always call back if the seller has a change of heart.

At the end of the day the EA's know I am ready to complete quickly and am looking for a motivated seller. Hopefully after they have filled their boots and sated all their mates/contacts requirements then they will come in my direction and help me work with the seller to reach common ground, rather than someone who contacts them and trys to wind them up.

Even though proceedable buyers are in short supply, I think few EA's (or for that matter and business person) would want to work hard to help someone who obviously tries to wind them up. Would you in similar circumstances ?

EA's are business people, and like anyone they would prefer you to be clear and frank as regards your requirements. That's not trolling. It's stating things as they are and making sure you and them are not messed around.

There are generally to few EA's in any one area to risk pissing them off by winding them up. That's no way to work with them to get the best price.

For me, before I even view a place I let the agent know what I think it's approximately worth given my intial impressions. Of course I may up down that on viewing the property, but at the end of the day if the EA says that the seller is no way going to come down to that price then it saves us all the waste of time of a viewing. They can always call back if the seller has a change of heart.

At the end of the day the EA's know I am ready to complete quickly and am looking for a motivated seller. Hopefully after they have filled their boots and sated all their mates/contacts requirements then they will come in my direction and help me work with the seller to reach common ground, rather than someone who contacts them and trys to wind them up.

Even though proceedable buyers are in short supply, I think few EA's (or for that matter and business person) would want to work hard to help someone who obviously tries to wind them up. Would you in similar circumstances ?

Sounds like you buy a lot of houses.

Sounds like you buy a lot of houses.

Never bought a single house.

Done a lot of dealing though over various things. You can only push people so far normally. If you behave like an asshole, a lot of people will walk away, no matter how much they want the commission.

Setting up a situation to be confrontational from the start is just pointless. You can be firm and get your message across without being rude. And if they are rude back in return ? You can walk away rather try someone else who is willing to negotiate reasonably. Take the moral high ground and keep it.

There are some people in this world that I would rather rot in hell than do favours for or assist. No matter how much money was on offer. I suspect most people are the same. We all have our breaking point.

I think it could be strengthened if both quotes didn't come from the Telegraph. That's just one paper's point of view. They could counter it with another rag's perspective, say the Daily Express. Two or three different sources would add more depth here.

Dear *******,

I know they are ******** but no need to insult them directly!

Sure, it's only trolling in the sense that it forces them either to admit that there is a nice crash happening or ignore a proceedable buyer.

But really, surely any agent worth their salt would chase the transaction not their ego.

Sure, it's only trolling in the sense that it forces them either to admit that there is a nice crash happening or ignore a proceedable buyer.

But really, surely any agent worth their salt would chase the transaction not their ego.

I don't think so.

I would say to you :

"Dear Mr X,

We're aware that certain sections of the media are reporting challenging conditions in the marketplace at the moment.

Thank you for informing us of your personal circumstances. If we have any property that we think might be suitable to your requirements we will of course be in contact"

As I said, I don't see anything "wind up" or trolling about your original email. Isn't it a simple statement of fact ?

Saying something like : "are you going to to be able to buy your kids Xmas presents this year givent the fact you've sold next to no houses?" - that would be a wind up.

Yep, do that. You never know, if you can subtly goad them into hilariously flipping their lid on camera, it could go viral quite easily, especially if loads of HPCer forwarded the link to friends via email and posted on facebook.

A little comedy like that could do wonders for getting the HPC message out.

You need to choose an estate agent who is really on the edge of nervous breakdown for full impact :lol:

Pick any EA outside London, surely?

Saying something like : "are you going to to be able to buy your kids Xmas presents this year givent the fact you've sold next to no houses?" - that would be a wind up.

Nice, I'll add that in the PS