House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yawningdog

The Investor Boys

Upon browsing the "Bricks & Mortar" section of the Times newspaper yesterday, I came upon this story, "The Investor Boys".

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/article/...1803372,00.html

Am I missing something or are these guys lunatics? Just as the UK and western economies start to show signs of serious wear, these boys decide to buy up £9m worth of new build properties with only 10% capital, and let the properties out. To add insult to injury they're buying them from Barretts!!!

They say they have carried out extensive market research, and are applying complex business/financial models. The paper makes them out to be super sharp wiz kids, and we should look up to them.

I can't see where the sense is. Why buy at the top of the market with such high borrowing just as the smart guys are pulling out? They are not even going for the slum landlord market and taking advantage of council incomes.

Am I missing the genius here, is there a grand master plan that I don't see, or is it simply....“What’s the worst that can happen? You go bankrupt? Well it’s always good to go bankrupt before you are 30 — that’s what everyone tells us."

Upon browsing the "Bricks & Mortar" section of the Times newspaper yesterday, I came upon this story, "The Investor Boys".

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/article/...1803372,00.html

Am I missing something or are these guys lunatics? Just as the UK and western economies start to show signs of serious wear, these boys decide to buy up £9m worth of new build properties with only 10% capital, and let the properties out. To add insult to injury they're buying them from Barretts!!!

They say they have carried out extensive market research, and are applying complex business/financial models. The paper makes them out to be super sharp wiz kids, and we should look up to them.

I can't see where the sense is. Why buy at the top of the market with such high borrowing just as the smart guys are pulling out? They are not even going for the slum landlord market and taking advantage of council incomes.

Am I missing the genius here, is there a grand master plan that I don't see, or is it simply....“What’s the worst that can happen? You go bankrupt? Well it’s always good to go bankrupt before you are 30 — that’s what everyone tells us."

I remember a very similar newspaper article about 3 youngsters who had raised (borrowed) a fortune in the City to fund a dot com business, around 2000. They were lauded as very clever, money making entrepreneurs. I wonder what happened to them?

The example given in this latest story of their clever market research was the 2 brand new Barratt properties in Purfleet, because it was near Lakeside shopping centre. I nearly laughed aloud at this - Lakeside has been around about 16 years, and Purfleet remains a downmarket area in the a**e end of Essex.

Edited by Casual Observer