House Price Crash Forum

Thorntons To Close Up To 180 Shops

I have to admit that I went in there at easter to get some choccy eggs with my wife's name on them. Other than that I used to pop in for some of that butter tablet fudge until my teeth started dropping out ho hum.

I checked the franchising part of their website and there is a huge list of towns that are earmarked for possible franchise outlets - wonder whether that plan has gone down the swanny. They do request that most franchisees use this as part of an existing business such as a card shop or cafe - yeah like most card shops have a spare 100m2 to stick a thorntons in the corner! F***ers!

I wonder if these store closures will give the remaining stores a bit of a Boost?

Poor old Thorntons. In the 80s they were probably regarded by most of us as the top end of the market - and in the face of increasing competition they chose the commodity way out (ie getting massively overstocked in supermarkets) while lots of new small operators nibbled at the high end market.

I haven't been in a Thorntons for years. With Tesco, providing cheapo plain chocolate at about 30p a bar, 85% Finest stuff at 90p or I can go to the local organic shop for the superposh Booja Booja vegan stuff - there's absolutely no reason to visit Thorntons.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

yeah like most card shops have a spare 100m2 to stick a thorntons in the corner! F***ers!

Is it the card factory does about 7 cards for a quid?

I'm suprised card shops are still open... I guess tesco doesn't do a big enough value range yet.

I visit Thorntons once a year, at Easter, to buy something original for my family. I usually buy about 12 things on that visit.

The trouble is their VFM is poor. You used to be able to get enormous chocolate bunnies for a reasonable price and the manageress would proudly tell you they were hand-made, you could tell by the lack of seams. Then one year they had seams. And now you can't buy them at all - nobody would be able to afford them if they did sell them the way prices have gone.

And they are missing one big trick: no chocolate liquors! All they sell is what you can buy in the supermarkets, with the tiny value-added that they'll ice a message on it for you. That's not enough to build a business on.

So I'm not surprised they've gone belly up.

Lots of people were going to buy some chocolates but the interest on their savings is now so low they cannot afford.

Mervyn King has closed those shops and lots of other businesses by reducing the income of people who could have spent some money. People do not get into debt to buy chocolates.

Lots of people were going to buy some chocolates but the interest on their savings is now so low they cannot afford.

Mervyn King has closed those shops and lots of other businesses by reducing the income of people who could have spent some money. People do not get into debt to buy chocolates.

Sorry, but I think return on investments is not a significant factor in Thorntons going to the wall. The root problem is the same as with all the other retailers going to the wall - wages growth is 2% and inflation is 5%. Spending power is down 3% per year, ie 3% last year, 6% this year, 9% next year and so on. Until either wages are boosted or inflation is tamed we're all fecked. And of those two options the right on is to get inflation down. You can't expected the economy to grow while real income falls.

Is it the card factory does about 7 cards for a quid?

I'm suprised card shops are still open... I guess tesco doesn't do a big enough value range yet.

We have a card shop opposite out local Tesco, they sell cards starting at 29p. I doubt Tesco will want to undercut them.

Sorry, but I think return on investments is not a significant factor in Thorntons going to the wall. The root problem is the same as with all the other retailers going to the wall - wages growth is 2% and inflation is 5%. Spending power is down 3% per year, ie 3% last year, 6% this year, 9% next year and so on. Until either wages are boosted or inflation is tamed we're all fecked. And of those two options the right one is to get inflation down. You can't expected the economy to grow while real income falls.

Why not cut VAT; rates below 10% would give everyone a welcome respite. It would give an immediate reduction in inflation statistics and might even increase the tax take. UK inflation is not caused by domestic under capacity. All the conventional tools are ineffective why don't the policy makers try a new approach.

Sorry, but I think return on investments is not a significant factor in Thorntons going to the wall. The root problem is the same as with all the other retailers going to the wall - wages growth is 2% and inflation is 5%. Spending power is down 3% per year, ie 3% last year, 6% this year, 9% next year and so on. Until either wages are boosted or inflation is tamed we're all fecked. And of those two options the right on is to get inflation down. You can't expected the economy to grow while real income falls.

Correct

But i just think your figures are a bit out , inflation has been about 5% for years while people have been getting 2% pay rises . They have made up the difference from savings and or credit . Now inflation on the things we have to buy every week food, energy , petrol, train fares, insurance is about 10% and only the lucky few are getting a 2% increase in wages the rest are getting nothing or taking a pay cut.

Correct

But i just think your figures are a bit out , inflation has been about 5% for years while people have been getting 2% pay rises . They have made up the difference from savings and or credit . Now inflation on the things we have to buy every week food, energy , petrol, train fares, insurance is about 10% and only the lucky few are getting a 2% increase in wages the rest are getting nothing or taking a pay cut.

Yep, that is why the consumer economy is fecked.

Kunt & Co have smeared their financial excrement across the pretty much the whole population.

Yep, that is why the consumer economy is fecked.

Kunt & Co have smeared their financial excrement across the pretty much the whole population.

I used to earn very good wages and I along with most of the people I worked with spent it .

I had new cars, holidays , clothes , meals out 3 or 4 times a week , bills were paid by DD without even checking how much they were .

I now earn about a third of what I used to earn and traded down my house to a small flat to be mortgage free. The car is 7 years old this September and I will be using my accured holiday pay ( work for an agency ) to pay the tax, mot and insurance .

A new car is now a pipe dream . Will take a cheap holiday to stay with friends in Spain . Apart from socks or pants I have no interest in new clothes, have bought nothing for the house in years . I don't drink but smoke and that is somthing that i must now cut down or give up as the price is nuts.

I do still eat out quite a bit as I fking hate cooking , but the meals are cheaper than before you can get some good deals.

Went for a cheap lunch with an ex work mate last week , in the old days we spoke about football , sex, holidays , how much the house was worth ect . Last week he was giving me money saving tips and told me I was a lazy c--t for having a clothes drier and told me to get a clothes horse to do the drying and save a few quid on the electricty.

Today I changed my phone contract and saved £20 p.m. and sadley canceled two standing orders to charitys that I have been doing for years . Oh how times have changed.

I used to earn very good wages and I along with most of the people I worked with spent it .

I had new cars, holidays , clothes , meals out 3 or 4 times a week , bills were paid by DD without even checking how much they were .

I now earn about a third of what I used to earn and traded down my house to a small flat to be mortgage free. The car is 7 years old this September and I will be using my accured holiday pay ( work for an agency ) to pay the tax, mot and insurance .

A new car is now a pipe dream . Will take a cheap holiday to stay with friends in Spain . Apart from socks or pants I have no interest in new clothes, have bought nothing for the house in years . I don't drink but smoke and that is somthing that i must now cut down or give up as the price is nuts.

I do still eat out quite a bit as I fking hate cooking , but the meals are cheaper than before you can get some good deals.

Went for a cheap lunch with an ex work mate last week , in the old days we spoke about football , sex, holidays , how much the house was worth ect . Last week he was giving me money saving tips and told me I was a lazy c--t for having a clothes drier and told me to get a clothes horse to do the drying and save a few quid on the electricty.

Today I changed my phone contract and saved £20 p.m. and sadley canceled two standing orders to charitys that I have been doing for years . Oh how times have changed.

,,, some people did this the other way round

Edited by douggggy

,,, some people did this the other way round

Yes but the point was how my spending power has decreased along with many others reguardless of how we spent the money, and that spending power decreasing is fking the economy. I do wish I had been more careful in the good times and put more away , but then again I know people who have done that and cannot spend the money in good times or bad as enough saved is never enough.

I can't remember the last time I bought anything in a Thorntons shop

Must be well over 20 years since I was in one.

The question is how many will hotel chocolat close?

Just goes to show how clueless I am about chocolate. I'd never even heard of this brand until I read this thread.

I thought Hotel Chocolate was found on top of a Osborne bible.

They don't seem to have a Sheffield store though (that la-de-dah Leeds has one, of course :rolleyes: ).

Yes but the point was how my spending power has decreased along with many others reguardless of how we spent the money, and that spending power decreasing is fking the economy. I do wish I had been more careful in the good times and put more away , but then again I know people who have done that and cannot spend the money in good times or bad as enough saved is never enough.

SAving is a poor strategy tbh, it rarely pays off when the government is running an inflationary policy and inflation is somewhere around 15%.

Similar to myself.

It's all about opportunity and the belief that the good times will roll on in perpetuity. I too had a good salary in my first career (banking) - back in the late 90s/early 00s earning £50-60k per annum. You like me were probably young, naive and carefree (especially spending wise).

At least we had the opportunity to do so unlike the school leavers/graduates of today. A storm is brewing.

We have a card shop opposite out local Tesco, they sell cards starting at 29p. I doubt Tesco will want to undercut them.

Why not cut VAT; rates below 10% would give everyone a welcome respite. It would give an immediate reduction in inflation statistics and might even increase the tax take. UK inflation is not caused by domestic under capacity. All the conventional tools are ineffective why don't the policy makers try a new approach.

Why?

Tesco's every little helps means they eliminate the comptetition, then sell all the wrapping paper, bows and cards they can at any price they like.

And Cutting VAT doesn't give me more money in my pocket.

Upping the % on my savings would give me hundreds of pounds in my pocket every month.

Edited by SarahBell