House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mash

Tenancy Agreement - Signed In Advance

I have recently signed up for a further 12 months AST agreement which comes into affect from mid November, when the current AST expires. Can I change my mind and ask the agent to rip it up and give my standard 2 months notice from now on the curent AST ?

or is it a case of because I have signed the new one - even though it does not come into affect from mid November - I have to serve 2 months notice from mid November ?

Cheers for any advice

I have recently signed up for a further 12 months AST agreement which comes into affect from mid November, when the current AST expires. Can I change my mind and ask the agent to rip it up and give my standard 2 months notice from now on the curent AST ?

or is it a case of because I have signed the new one - even though it does not come into affect from mid November - I have to serve 2 months notice from mid November ?

Cheers for any advice

If the other party has not signed then you can withdraw. If the other party has signed then you are committed to it.

However if both parties agree then the contract can be voided even if you have both signed.

many thanks for your reply, yeh that makes sense - even if it's not what I was hoping! In future I'd be better off waiting until nearer the actual end date before signing.

Regards

many thanks for your reply, yeh that makes sense - even if it's not what I was hoping! In future I'd be better off waiting until nearer the actual end date before signing.

Regards

I'd ask CAB about this - I am sure it will just be a continuation of contract, and as such you can give 2 months notice any time.

I might be wrong, but I would be surprised, as it would mean that you effictively now have to give 3 1/2 months notice, which would be against your rights.........

Let me know how you get on.