House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

Police Dogs Die In Hot Car - Again

intelligence tests for prospective police recruits are long overdue. I worked alongside police officers for over 25 years and basically they are of low intelligence. Another sad yet avoidable incident

intelligence tests for prospective police recruits are long overdue. I worked alongside police officers for over 25 years and basically they are of low intelligence. Another sad yet avoidable incident

They do have such tests, they select from the left hand side of the bell curve though. :)

When I was in the UK earlier this year there were some hot days and I displayed my RSPCA "Dogs Die In Hot Cars" on my car windscreen in open car parks. Of course I felt like putting it under the windscreen of police dog unit vans...

RSPCA shops have some of these free leaflets, if you grab one and display it in your car window it could help spread the word a bit more.

How on earth this dog trainer missed the briefings which surely must have been distributed after the last needless cruel deaths of police GDSs I just don't know.

Here's some info on the RSPCA leaflet (I've no connection to the RSPCA)

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/dogs/health/dogsinhotcars;jsessionid=v5nhTJQVcVWwHGyqjVLZMyzz1l4gsZ91JJK6gxHRmpZPDw3JXV22!-284884649!1309212821109

You'd think by now police dog vans would have some kind of cooler built in, like freon?

intelligence tests for prospective police recruits are long overdue. I worked alongside police officers for over 25 years and basically they are of low intelligence.

Yes it seems that way. Either that or just too damn lazy to get the dogs out of the vehicle.

The nation will mourn them, but we don't give a fvck about children and innocents in far off lands being blown to smithereens, every single day, by the UK military.

Grow up. These are after all, police dogs.

Mixed up world.

The nation will mourn them, but we don't give a fvck about children and innocents in far off lands being blown to smithereens, every single day, by the UK military.

Grow up. These are after all, police dogs.

Mixed up world.

I assume you were generalising, that certainly would not be something that applies to me and probably others on this thread

After feeling sorry for the dog I started thinking about the cost implications.

How much had been invested in the dog that died ?

A quick google check puts training a dog/handler team at around 30,000.

Should be docked from the negligent handlers pay, then when it is paid back he should be fired.

A more detailed report...Unbelievable!

"The officer, Sergeant Ian Craven, one of the country's most experienced dog trainers"

"It is the second time he has been responsible for the death of a dog left in a vehicle.

He was disciplined over the loss of a spaniel at the Metropolitan Police's prestigious dog training centre in July 2004 – but went on to be promoted"

"The alarm was raised in a phone call from Mr Craven, who had travelled to work at the Olympic site in East London, several hours earlier."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008691/Sergeant-Ian-Craven-suicide-bid-police-dogs-die-baking-heat-car.html

The copper is probably off on full pay now over the distress.

Edit: Reading the DM link from Thunderbird, he must be off now he's tried to kill himself. I'm sure the shame of the dogs dieing is worse than the shame of pocketing his salary each month though....

After feeling sorry for the dog I started thinking about the cost implications.

How much had been invested in the dog that died ?

A quick google check puts training a dog/handler team at around 30,000.

Should be docked from the negligent handlers pay, then when it is paid back he should be fired.

Shut in a car for an hour on a hot day.:ph34r:

It seems he's already tried to take matters into his own hands. Perhaps he's not all bad. He's also been disciplined for a similar incident in the past.:angry:

You'd think the Police would make it an instant dismissal offence and follow up with arrest and prosecution.

A police dog handler being investigated over the deaths of two animals left locked in his car threw himself from a colleague's vehicle after the incident. Sergeant Ian Craven, 49, flung himself from the car and was then declared a missing person, a source confirmed.

The officer was found in Newham, east London, with hand injuries, police said.

Sgt Craven left two dogs, a working Belgian Malinois and a German Shepherd puppy, in an unventilated car at the Metropolitan Police's dog training centre in Keston, Kent, on Sunday.

He went to a meeting off-site and called colleagues to alert them when he realised the animals were trapped. The Directorate of Professional Standards has launched an investigation into the deaths, which occurred as temperatures soared to as high as 29C in the South East.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "On Sunday June 26 at approximately 11am, staff at a Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) building were alerted to two police dogs having been left in an unventilated private vehicle.

"Entry was forced to the vehicle and two MPS dogs, a working Belgian Malinois and a German Shepherd pup, were found in a state of collapse. Both were taken to an emergency vet's, where they subsequently died."

The Daily Mail reported that Sgt Craven was disciplined over the death of another police dog in 2004.

A spokeswoman from the Dogs Trust, the UK's largest dog welfare charity, said it was "saddened" to hear of the two latest deaths.

She said: "Whilst the cause of death is still to be determined, the charity would like to remind dog owners and police dog handlers that leaving your dog in a car can prove rapidly fatal, particularly during a heatwave. It can take just 20 minutes for a dog to die and temperatures can reach over 40 degrees in some vehicles."

A superior might have prevented him from attending to the dogs though.

We ultimately dont know yet what happened, but the lessons need to be learnt once the facts are established.

At the very least how hard or expensive would it be to fit some sort of temperature and humidity sensor inside the car which can phone or send a text message alert when certain temperatures or humidity levels are reached?

We do it for farming animals the only difference is we need the same sensors to work over the mobile phone network and possibly something wireless attached to the vehicle keys.

If it can be done over a landline (and I had such technology in my flat years ago) why not a mobile? Perhaps they should stop paying people to design uniforms or make flashy recruitment videos from helicopters with that Ross geezer and fit safety devices instead.

At the very least how hard or expensive would it be to fit some sort of temperature and humidity sensor inside the car which can phone or send a text message alert when certain temperatures or humidity levels are reached?

We do it for farming animals the only difference is we need the same sensors to work over the mobile phone network and possibly something wireless attached to the vehicle keys.

ok, you need to get on Dragon's Den.

And don't assume no one will steal the idea.

It seems he's already tried to take matters into his own hands. Perhaps he's not all bad. He's also been disciplined for a similar incident in the past.:angry:

You'd think the Police would make it an instant dismissal offence and follow up with arrest and prosecution.

honestly,please WATCH the news!!!

two dogs(ie dog-star aka sirius)......one belgian(jesuit van rompouy),and one german shepherd(ratzinger)

problems with carrying on care packages for southern cross(look at the popes "throne")....no more rescue package(after he's pissed us off so much with his goon squad trying to politically sabotage us,no surprise really)

do you not realise there is a lot more to most of these news stories than first glance(the music of late is hardly thief-in-the-night subtle either)

dangerous times indeed.

all we need to see now is the last attempt at power-grab(which will happen soon,I have absolutely no doubt)...which IS going to fail.

honestly,please WATCH the news!!!

two dogs(ie dog-star aka sirius)......one belgian(jesuit van rompouy),and one german shepherd(ratzinger)

problems with carrying on care packages for southern cross(look at the popes "throne")....no more rescue package(after he's pissed us off so much with his goon squad trying to politically sabotage us,no surprise really)

do you not realise there is a lot more to most of these news stories than first glance(the music of late is hardly thief-in-the-night subtle either)

dangerous times indeed.

all we need to see now is the last attempt at power-grab(which will happen soon,I have absolutely no doubt)...which IS going to fail.

Are you Cassandra?

Following this site's tradition of meanness and trivialising.............

#

Now for the Hot Dog Van jokes.................................