House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDN

Women Playin Top Level Sport- Why Do They Bother?

Are there any sports where the women's game is bigger/better than the men's?

i've watched a bit of wimbledon this year, and the women's game is awful- boring and a turn-off- there's little compettiveness(sp) no real excitement.

And now there's the women's football world cup- oh pelease!!! just cos blokes are playin a sport it doesnt mean women have to! to me women look ridiculous playin footie/cricket.

I know this might only be me- but what do you lot think about women playing sport and comparisons to the men's games?

i've watched a bit of wimbledon this year, and the women's game is awful- boring and a turn-off- there's little compettiveness(sp) no real excitement.

And now there's the women's football world cup- oh pelease!!! just cos blokes are playin a sport it doesnt mean women have to! to me women look ridiculous playin footie/cricket.

I know this might only be me- but what do you lot think about women playing sport and comparisons to the men's games?

i was on about this elsewhere the other day.

i have no qualms with women wanting to play sport, it's no big deal.

HOWEVER...

tennis, the females are well above themselves thinking that the crowd actually want to watch their 'filler' games. they demand the same pay as the men, which has been granted but is ridiculous.

i can't think of any other sport where the mens games supplements the womens like tennis (in footy they'd have to play 2 halves in the 15 min ht where most go and get a few pints).

summary - i don't mind women playing sport, but women actually thinking they are any good (tennis) is absurd.

edit: and out of making the womens game 5 sets or leaving it at 3 i'd leave it at 3,regardless of the lazy mares getting the same wonga...imagine 5 sets of that tripe. :huh:

Synchronised swimming??

I'd like to strongly disagree with above comments.

Actually, I think tennis is one of the sports where the womens' game has a large, genuine following - there are plenty big names, and it's a far cry from the men's game of ace after ace. I find it hard to understand why the women get paid the same though, for doing less work. Supposedly it was for equality, but their £/hour is far higher than the men.

Even in other sports, I fully encourage women trying to be the best doing something they love. Actually I think it's a real shame that so many girls play sports at school, then give it all up and never do a big of excercise in their lives again. It shows.

Some gymnastics, where litheness and suppleness are more important than strength & speed. Though in fairness, these tend to be girls' territory rather than women's

tennis, the females are well above themselves thinking that the crowd actually want to watch their 'filler' games. they demand the same pay as the men, which has been granted but is ridiculous.

summary - i don't mind women playing sport, but women actually thinking they are any good (tennis) is absurd.

i agree, pal

Actually, I think tennis is one of the sports where the womens' game has a large, genuine following - there are plenty big names, and it's a far cry from the men's game of ace after ace. I find it hard to understand why the women get paid the same though, for doing less work. Supposedly it was for equality, but their £/hour is far higher than the men.

Even in other sports, I fully encourage women trying to be the best doing something they love. Actually I think it's a real shame that so many girls play sports at school, then give it all up and never do a big of excercise in their lives again. It shows.

i appreciate there might be big names in women's tennis- no problems with that- what i strongly dispute is that the women's game is on par with men's - it blatanly isnt- the games generally arent as exciting as the mens and they're not at the same level either- the only reason the pay is the same is for equality reasons- which is wrong in my view.

I'm all for people playing sport regardless of their ability or gender - but lets not pretend that women play at the same level- they dont and in my opinion they shouldnt be given the same level of airtime.

i appreciate there might be big names in women's tennis- no problems with that- what i strongly dispute is that the women's game is on par with men's - it blatanly isnt- the games generally arent as exciting as the mens and they're not at the same level either- the only reason the pay is the same is for equality reasons- which is wrong in my view.

I'm all for people playing sport regardless of their ability or gender - but lets not pretend that women play at the same level- they dont and in my opinion they shouldnt be given the same level of airtime.

this is turning into a tennis thread, which is the only 'big' sport i can think of that is a UK sport (football, tennis, cricket, golf, rugby).

it's an elite club that is casting a false impression on other sports that they may one day catch up.

Personally I think Formula 1 would be vastly improved if there was more involvement from women- when one of the drivers gets too far ahead they should have to make a pit stop and get a woman drive the car until the others catch up. ;)

There's too much emphasis on the women and mens competitions being equal IMO. It's patronising to women.

I think there should be one competition where all compete. It would be mostly men, but there would be the odd exceptional women.

We should also formulate more sports where women can dominate over men.

Actually, I think tennis is one of the sports where the womens' game has a large, genuine following - there are plenty big names, and it's a far cry from the men's game of ace after ace.

:huh:

Have you watched a mens tennis game since 1995?

Comparing the WTA and ATP tour figures shows that the women's game brings in just as much money and is more profitable.

2008 ATP and WTA tax return highlights:

Category ATP World Tour Sony Ericsson WTA Tour

Profit (loss) ($7 million) $6.9 million

Revenue $61.3 million $58.7 million

Total compensation paid $14.5 million $8.6 million

Assets $73.5 million $40.7 million

There is a massive fundamental flaw in all of this.

Men are good at sports because it is in their blood, i.e. they do all sorts of things well, like war, murder, genocide, sports etc in an effort to get women to sleep with them.

Women being women can get men to 'service' them pretty much any time they want.... I've seen swamp donkeys which look like Jabba the hutt walk into pubs and have a bloke on her arm to take her home.... eww...

Thus this competitive instinct in women does not exist as strongly as it does in men. A HELLUVA lot of skydivers bring their latest squeeze to the DZ to show off their madskillz to get laid. Davy Dave for instance brings a different girl every week to watch his uber water swoops, so does Lloyd and frank.

A lot of people level the same charges at me, but I do it merely because its fun and bring nobody to the DZ with me.

You may as well say why do Sunday league football teams bother or village cricket teams.

I doubt Ms. Sharapova or Williams really give one for what anyone else thinks.

Some burds are very good at sports. Very few, if any, up to male standards but pretty impressive anyway. As Ken says they are not designed for this anyway - so the fact they get up to such a level is not to be shirked at.

The things that really show up the gap are something like the half pipe in snowboarding, freeriding skiing or surfing. The best women do this their whole lives and practice non stop. However they still look like they are trying SO hard whereas the blokes look amazing and natural.

Have a look at the best burds surfing. They look pretty average. Can't be a balance thing ?

Burd gymnastics is amazing. And not just for the perv factor.

Sorry to go back to tennis, but people are right.

It takes the piss that they're paid the same as the men, their games are the first to two sets whilst men are first to three! That said, some of the games can be alright, but the mens tennis is generally much better. If they want to equality, then men and women should all be in the same draw, oh but they don't like equality when it comes to unfavorable things like say, pensions or having to do a full days work.

Mixed double is always a good watch i find.

I went to see Exeter v Hull one wet Tuesday night and wondered why I bothered.

Women's sport doesn't get the coverage men's sport does - compare their respective football world cups - so I don't see any PC-ness going on here with the exception of the Wimbledon prize money. If you want the same money then play best of five sets.

I would add (though it's a truism) that if you don't like it you don't have to watch it. Cricket and rugby just pass me by.