House Price Crash Forum

Padlock Or Not

bendy

HOLA441

do you padlock your outbuildings?

i've just put a shed up, stuffed a load of stuff in in nothing of massive value but some i'd be pissed off with replacing.

so does a padlock attract or repel potential thieves?

:unsure:

HOLA442
HOLA443

i've just put a shed up, stuffed a load of stuff in in nothing of massive value but some i'd be pissed off with replacing.

Most sheds have padlocks but if you have have a suitable door then stick a chubb lock on it. If standard wooden shed door then don't spend a fortune on the padlock and keep it fairly small. Crims will rip the door of it's hinges if they want to gain entry.

HOLA444

Most sheds have padlocks but if you have have a suitable door then stick a chubb lock on it.

Apropos to nothing, I'm a truck driver and I once took everything needed to fit out a building as a bank to Krasnodar in southern Russia- everything from the re-inforcement for the walls to the pens-on-a-chain which were to sit on the desk.

When I got there, Russian Customs were their usual obstructive selves and it took over a week to do Customs clearance- which at least gave me a chance to do some sightseeing.

The manifest had to be translated into Russian and they got a local girl to do it, and after about four days in the Customs compound I was summonsed to the Chief's office. He pointed a fat finger at the manifest and snarled something.

The translator, who was clearly terrified, said "He wants to know what this item is, the "security fish".

So I rolled my eyes a bit

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And said...

"It's not a security fish, it's a Chubb safe". :lol:

HOLA445

I think you should have some level of security to prevent someone casually have a look at what you have and walking away with it. On a standard garden shed I would think about fitting a padlock lock bolt, they are better than the hasp and staple or an interior rim lock. I also would suggest using a mid size padlock, not to small and flimsy nor a high security padlock to attract attention. Any exterior fittings could be painted to blend in with the woodwork.

Another option, which I think would fit your criteria, would be to fit a rack bolt operated by a simple star key.

Brass%20Rack%20Bolt%20edited.jpg

or there are ones with a keyed lock.

422.jpg

HOLA446

Internal lockable metal filing cabinets inside add to peace of mind for small to medium size items. I also have two flight cases that can be padlocked shut and impossible to lift unless you empty everything out.

HOLA447

Apropos to nothing, I'm a truck driver and I once took everything needed to fit out a building as a bank to Krasnodar in southern Russia- everything from the re-inforcement for the walls to the pens-on-a-chain which were to sit on the desk.

When I got there, Russian Customs were their usual obstructive selves and it took over a week to do Customs clearance- which at least gave me a chance to do some sightseeing.

The manifest had to be translated into Russian and they got a local girl to do it, and after about four days in the Customs compound I was summonsed to the Chief's office. He pointed a fat finger at the manifest and snarled something.

The translator, who was clearly terrified, said "He wants to know what this item is, the "security fish".

So I rolled my eyes a bit

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And said...

"It's not a security fish, it's a Chubb safe". :lol:

:rolleyes:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Most sheds can be broken into regardless of whether theres a padlock or not. Depends on your insurance ultimately.

Yes.

There is no point in putting high security locks on a shed door, however, you don't want to give people the opportunity to casually stroll on your land and look in your shed without any challenge.

What will the insurance company think of an unlocked shed, when it came to claim for loss of contents?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Dig a large hole in the garden, put a metal cargo container in it, cut a hole in the roof and fit a steel hatch with heavy duty locking, then put a standard garden shed above it with a secret trap door.

I put my shed in my dining room. That will fool the thicko thieves in my area.

HOLA4413

Dig a large hole in the garden, put a metal cargo container in it, cut a hole in the roof and fit a steel hatch with heavy duty locking, then put a standard garden shed above it with a secret trap door.

That's an idea. Might take a bit of digging...

Archived