House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Spanish Banks Are Hiding $71 Billion In Bad Real Estate, Confidencial Says

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-27/spain-banks-hide-eu50-billion-in-bad-assets-confidencial-says.html

Spanish banks have 50 billion euros ($70.7 billion) in unrecognised problematic real estate assets

Spanish banks need between 20 billion euros and 30 billion euros in additional capital

Plus FROB may take over 20% of the banking industry

Still I'm sure the Greek bailout will paper over these cracks.

That Google Earth image must be an old abandoned field. Try here.

very impressive...lots of suits, ceremonies, words, local towns.....but a bit light on the arrivals and departures section, and not many planes in the pictures.

Still the queues at arrivals are very short indeed.

They are hardly hiding the debts as the empty properties and half developed sites are everywhere. A friend of mine who lives on the Costa tells me that his bank are constantly making overtures trying to get him to view properties they seem to now own. It's all very hush, hush :(

So how many trillions of derivatives based on those loans are we going to be asked

to cough up for this time around?

..cough up...?...no....more like the final death choke.... :rolleyes:

They are hardly hiding the debts as the empty properties and half developed sites are everywhere. A friend of mine who lives on the Costa tells me that his bank are constantly making overtures trying to get him to view properties they seem to now own. It's all very hush, hush :(

what they mean is that the banks are still marking their collateral and possessions at par.

ie, they say on the books they have x billion in collateral for their mortgages, but that is marked to model, whereas, as you have seen, they cant sell at any price.

Just returned from a 3 month stint in Spain and can tell you that the Cam Bank are repossessing at an unbelievably rate and when they do it its instant ,down with the door with lump hammer furniture out into the corridors or garden and new locks fitted all done within a couple of hours irrespective of Kids woman etc being without homes. They don't seem to negotiate any longer and are scaring people who don't pay mortgage leaving Cam Bank Repo on door in Red Ink as a warning to others . Wonder if it will ever happen here with our debt is great thinking /policy by our Governments.

Just returned from a 3 month stint in Spain and can tell you that the Cam Bank are repossessing at an unbelievably rate and when they do it its instant ,down with the door with lump hammer furniture out into the corridors or garden and new locks fitted all done within a couple of hours irrespective of Kids woman etc being without homes. They don't seem to negotiate any longer and are scaring people who don't pay mortgage leaving Cam Bank Repo on door in Red Ink as a warning to others . Wonder if it will ever happen here with our debt is great thinking /policy by our Governments.

Sounds exactly like one of those exaggerated press releases the IR used to issue concerning errant fish 'n chip shop owners. "He owed us a tenner and we bankrupted him". Please can you give us more detail as to how you came upon such information? I am all ears.