House Price Crash Forum
ken_ichikawa

Agressive Companies

This week I am doing a bit of decorating for somebody.

I needed some supplies and phoned up a [unamed] supplier. I only asked for a quote and the woman at the end of the line threatened me with legal action if I didn't pay immediately......

I hadn't even ordered the stuff yet (plaster and paint).... are companies so incredibly desparate and low on cash they need to resort to this?.....

It feels like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer needs to borrow money but is such a bad credit rating he had to have his legs pre-broken for the loan.

Yeesh its getting ugly out there.

It feels like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer needs to borrow money but is such a bad credit rating he had to have his legs pre-broken for the loan.

Not seen that one.

Agree though, it is getting ugly out there. My worst fear is just how ugly it's going to get. People were happy to fukc each other over in the good times so what are they going to be like when TSHTF?

I needed some supplies and phoned up a [unamed] supplier. I only asked for a quote and the woman at the end of the line threatened me with legal action if I didn't pay immediately......

I hadn't even ordered the stuff yet (plaster and paint).... are companies so incredibly desparate and low on cash they need to resort to this?.....

With that kind of attitude I'd be shopping elsewhere, and telling the woman on the phone why she wasn't getting the order and would therefore lose her job in the long run. (And if feeling particularly vindictive, which I usually am, I'd ask her to put her manager on the line so I could tell him/her why they wouldn't be getting my order.)

You aloud sombody to talk to you like that :blink:

With that kind of attitude I'd be shopping elsewhere, and telling the woman on the phone why she wasn't getting the order and would therefore lose her job in the long run. (And if feeling particularly vindictive, which I usually am, I'd ask her to put her manager on the line so I could tell him/her why they wouldn't be getting my order.)

Agreed. A more polite tactic would have been to simply inform you that the company does not offer credit.

Agreed. A more polite tactic would have been to simply inform you that the company does not offer credit.

Credit? What thou art this thing called credit you speak of?

It sounds to me like you got a not-too-bright individual on the end of the phone (probably an illegal immigrant with limited English proficiency and who was willing to work for cash in hand and well below the minimum wage), who was trying to say that payment would be required in advance of delivery. That is fair enough (after all, that's what happens whenever we order anything online), but the way in which she treated you was most certainly not.

If you were clear in the call that you were not offering to enter into a contract and were simply asking for a quote, then no court in the land would take any action they started seriously.

I'd suggest that you write to the chief exec explaining what happened and asking him to listen to the recording of the call (if they are in any way a competently run company, then they will have a recording system built into their switchboard for such calls) and then confirm to you in writing that this woman has been handed her P45. Once you have this confirmation, then you might consider doing business with them again, and refraining from ranting to all your friends and colleagues about how dreadful their customer service is...

What, the conversation was equivalent to:

- How much is your plaster and paint please?

- A hundred pounds.

- I see, thank you.

- Give us a hundred pounds immediately or we will commence legal action.

Or have you perhaps... missed a bit?