House Price Crash Forum
andybee33

The Secret Of 'homeownerism'

Hey folks,

I've been a lurker (and sometimes poster) on here since 2005. I am, and will remain, firmly committed to the HPC cause and I believe strongly that high house prices are a disaster for the whole country, for the reasons oft-stated by more lucid members than me. I also believe that the Western debt-based-growth model is litle more than a ponzi scheme and I'm a fully paid up goldbug. Important to establish those things.

Last week I bought a flat. Not only that, but I paid 5% more than its 2005 price... It isn't my main family home (which I rent and which I'll be keeping on), but rather a place to stay during the week as I work far from where I reside. Why did I buy and not rent? Basically, as a hedge against the 'inflation-led-recovery' scenario that seems to be unfolding - and as a hedge against us all being wrong about HPC - which I'm sure we're not, but let's face it - it's long overdue..... The flat cost about 40% of what a family home might if/when I but one, so I think it's a reasonable hedge...

Anyway, when I logged onto HPC this morning, I had a totally new and unexpected feeling - fear!!! Even as a hard-nosed HPCer, I can now feel HPC-denial welling up in me - irrationally - as I read the posts on here. The key to winning around the mainstream I think is therefore not challenging their greed but helping to rationalise their fear.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Cheers,

Andy

Anyway, when I logged onto HPC this morning, I had a totally new and unexpected feeling - fear!!! Even as a hard-nosed HPCer, I can now feel HPC-denial welling up in me - irrationally - as I read the posts on here. The key to winning around the mainstream I think is therefore not challenging their greed but helping to rationalise their fear.

FGear that there won't be a crash or there will?

Angela

I don't get why you feel fear about owning a house. Ignoring the noise, all assets will all basically rise in value over time, there is no reason to be scared of the chart as long as you don't have to buy on a spike and sell on a low.

On the other hand, having to sell a house and buy another... that could fill me with fear (4% stamp duty on new place, 2% agents commission to sell, being haggled down, legal fees, removal, refurnishing...), but not owning one, especially if as affordable as yours sounds.