House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Wisdom Teeeth

I now have one less wisdom tooth than I had this morning. It does not hurt yet as my mouth is still numb, or at least nowhere near as bad as the root canal.

Anyway, while I was having it pulled out, I thought, what did cavemen do with wisdom teeth ? Surely then you didn't have dentists ? So wouldn't they rot in your gums and kill you ?

I now have one less wisdom tooth than I had this morning. It does not hurt yet as my mouth is still numb, or at least nowhere near as bad as the root canal.

Anyway, while I was having it pulled out, I thought, what did cavemen do with wisdom teeth ? Surely then you didn't have dentists ? So wouldn't they rot in your gums and kill you ?

They got the tooth fairy to extract them.:o

I believe that the theory is that because they lost teeth, the wisdom teeth served to fill in the gaps.

This leads me onto one of my many hobby horses. This, together with appendixes going bad and killing people and short sightedness all lead me to suspect there is another process going on apart from Darwin's evolution theory that suggests that all such changes are due to natural selection. If that were true, why would appendixes gradually getting smaller and causing illness and death in humans be a positive for natural selection?

No, it seems to me that 'use' or effort to use can actually turns genes on that we already have and lack of use leads them to being switched off. The vast majority of our genetic material is not used. This process is not instant and would traverse generations.

The other thing that is becoming more prevalent wrt teeth is the increasing number of people lacking one or two of the outer incisors. Also many (like myself) no longer have wisdom teeth at all. All this is happening far more quickly than if the process of evolution were the cause.

Are you sure they aren't up in your gums and not come through ?

I was told they should be took out in pairs so they don't push unevenly...

I was supposed to have mine out years ago but after 40 mins sat in a waiting room at hospital I bottled it and left.

I was told they should be took out in pairs so they don't push unevenly...

I was supposed to have mine out years ago but after 40 mins sat in a waiting room at hospital I bottled it and left.

At some point in the future you're probably going to regret that.

If your dentist tells you that you need them out then the best thing to do is get them done asap. The first one my dentist told me to have out I delayed for ages. That knackered the tooth in front and I had to have it root canaled. Now that really did hurt.

This leads me onto one of my many hobby horses. This, together with appendixes going bad and killing people and short sightedness all lead me to suspect there is another process going on apart from Darwin's evolution theory that suggests that all such changes are due to natural selection. If that were true, why would appendixes gradually getting smaller and causing illness and death in humans be a positive for natural selection?

Changes don't have to be always be positive. Sometimes evolution can go down non-beneficial alleys, just as long as it doesn't cause too much harm the other way (e.g. peacock's tails). Things no longer of much use will tend to hang around just as long as their presence isn't too damaging. Anything bad that usually doesn't happen until after you've had kids and got them to the point where they can survive by themselves, or at least with the rest of a group without direct reliance on parents (and go back over most of human existance that'll be at a fairly early age) won't be affected by evolution at all.

At some point in the future you're probably going to regret that.

If your dentist tells you that you need them out then the best thing to do is get them done asap. The first one my dentist told me to have out I delayed for ages. That knackered the tooth in front and I had to have it root canaled. Now that really did hurt.

I'll take my chances.

They're not pushing against the teeth in front - they don't give me any grief and unless they've caused my numb face feeling then I will continue to ignore them. :)

Read this by an American orthodontist:

http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/is-it-mental-or-is-it-dental-cranial-dental-impacts-on-total-health

EDIT: Here's a link to the downloadable pdf with the illustrations:

www.alforthodontics.com/Dr_Silkman%20article.pdf

So you think a third septoplasty is a good idea (with SMD and middle meatal antrostomy)

I had to look those up. No, I'm not in to surgery. I'd try cranial osteopathy and an orthodontist who understood all this stuff.

(The best solution would be prevention - for a person and their parents to have eaten a hunter-gatherer diet. Just a pipe dream, of course. Too late for me or anyone else reading. :( )

I just think that whether you're into surgery or not having to have a third one of anything probably means either to get it done properly you've got to be a butcher and completely clear the nose (the smd sounds revolting) - or that the other two surgeons were far too conservative but left me a nose...

The pain is building up to a cresendo now.

Soon I'm going to have to give in and take a panadol.

Off to shout at some underlings ...

Think yourself lucky.

Many years age, I had four badly impacted wisdom teeth removed, in hospital, under general anaesthetic. Bits of broken tooth and jaw bone kept surfacing for years and half of my lower jaw was completely numb, due to a severed nerve, for about seven years. Also, I was prescribed pethidine for the first week as it was the mildest painkiller capable of managing the pain.

Before anyone backs out of having them extracted, when necessary, mine on a scale of one to ten, were an eleven :(.

I asked my dentist about this. He said that tooth decay would certainly have existed in early man, and in may cases the infection would have been fatal. That's pretty true even to within the last few hundred years.

I have no wisdom teeth yet. (Age 41 so they probably aren't ever coming).

To the person who said their root canal work hurt, I would suggest getting another dentist. No dental work should hurt (whilst you're in the chair anyway).

My teeth problems stem from crooked dentists filling teeth unecessarily in order to boost their income. And one bad dentist not giving me a brace / extracting a badly placed tooth. *******.

No dentist will ever fill my children's teeth unless a second (and third) opinion confirms that the tooth needs work.