House Price Crash Forum
Bosh

Is The Us In Denial Over Its $14Tn Debt?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13906274

He uses the analogy of Suez and the pressure that was put on the UK by the US to withdraw from that adventure. The pressure was not, of course, military. It was economic.

Many so-called "Tea Party" supporters fiercely oppose tax raises. Britain needed US economic help. In the future, if China chooses to flex its muscles abroad, it may not be Chinese admirals who pose the real threat, Mr Haass tells us. "Chinese bankers could do the job."

25k a second

1.5 Million a minute. (Sterling)

90 Million an hour. (Sterling)

How on earth can this be reversed? I am not a TFH gloomer but what other than a major global event/war can stop this? What are the options?

25k a second

How on earth can this be reversed? I am not a TFH gloomer but what other than a major global event/war can stop this? What are the options?

Too late to fix , they could have fixed it back in 2000 but not now - far more imbalanced economy than 10 years ago.

25k a second

I just learned to stop worrying and love the TFH.

I suppose I am no different to all the other sheeple. When the numbers are simplified and stated they are easy to understand.

Truly staggering.

If Obama really was the Manchurian candidate what would he be doing different?

America needed a fiscal conservative in 08, it got Mr hope and change and the biggest debt in the history of everything ever.

Yes, America is indeed in denial.

The Roman Empire crumbled, the British Empire was disbanded and - over the next 10-20 years - we will watch the American Empire (its global domination of everything from food to language to military power) disintegrate as well.

No-one can be the winner in perpetuity, and the Americans have had their turn at the top.

After losing the American War of Independence, the UK was more pragmatic when it came to relinquishing control of India and the rest of the Empire. At the moment, the US seems to have their blind eye to the telescope...

After losing the American War of Independence, the UK was more pragmatic when it came to relinquishing control of India and the rest of the Empire.

.....it did take from 1776 to 1947....followed by the rest in the 1950s and 60s.... :rolleyes:

If Obama really was the Manchurian candidate what would he be doing different?

America needed a fiscal conservative in 08, it got Mr hope and change and the biggest debt in the history of everything ever.

Graphs like that are always interesting, in how they show growing revenues/declining spending under Democrats and falling revenues/higher spending under Republicans.

Graphs like that are always interesting, in how they show growing revenues/declining spending under Democrats and falling revenues/higher spending under Republicans.

Declining spending under democrats?

Where have you been the past 3 years.

Republicans and Democrats are basically the same party nowdays anyway , no real difference.

Yes. In particular, the graph illustrates very clearly the extent of the destruction that Bush junior wrought on the US economy and the gargantuan effort needed to fix it again.

.....it did take from 1776 to 1947....followed by the rest in the 1950s and 60s.... :rolleyes:

Ah, but the pace of life is quicker in these modern times ;)

How on earth can this be reversed?

I expect no reversal, more likely that the tipping point has come and gone.

The Fed is now the largest holder of US debt and they have chosen to keep on printing. Maybe its just a side effect of a modern democracy, people vote for low tax and big spending and the politicians oblige for their term.

Conversion of dollars into a new currency comes next (which they will promise not to debase, introduce a no-deficit law.... then conveniently break it and forget).

Rinse and repeat.

25k a second

I honestly don't know where this is all going to end, no crystal ball, but the numbers speak for themselves.

A productive workers yearly wage is being blown every second by an unproductive government.

Makes you wonder why you bother going to work, especially since the UK numbers are probably much the same.

LOL! :blink::lol:

U.S. military spends a cool $20billion on air conditioning annually in Iraq and Afghanistan

The U.S. military forks out a whopping $20.2billion a year on keeping troops in Iraq and Afghanistan cool, it has emerged.

The alarming figure is more than Nasa's entire annual budget and trumps the amount the G-8 has pledged to aid Egypt and Tunisia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008422/U-S-military-spends-cool-20billion-air-conditioning-annually-Iraq-Afghanistan.html

Can`t find the link but am I right in saying that Britain is £4 Trillion in debt?

My link

"At the end of December 2010 general government debt was £1105.8 billion, equivalent to 76.1 per cent of GDP. "

Thats the official figure. As far as I know it doesn't include bank bailouts, PFI or the BOE's other vigilant activities.

After losing the American War of Independence, the UK was more pragmatic when it came to relinquishing control of India and the rest of the Empire. At the moment, the US seems to have their blind eye to the telescope...

A tactical retreat, so that we may advance better later.

Mwwww ha ha ha.

it's quite plainly a predetermined heist on the american people(spending pointless amounts of money on useless social programmes as wastefully as possible)

the politicians are under orders from external agents for this to be the case(and have been for about 100 years).

there is a solution,but it will involve a significant deployment of nuclear weapons and a tough leadership,who is prepared to use them on a country/countries that are presently considered friendly-and I'm not taking about us.(such action will most likely be done in conjunction with,of all people..russia...after they've had their ass handed to them on a plate in ww3-they will stert to realise they have been set up)

My link

"At the end of December 2010 general government debt was £1105.8 billion, equivalent to 76.1 per cent of GDP. "

Thats the official figure. As far as I know it doesn't include bank bailouts, PFI or the BOE's other vigilant activities.

They might as well say the official figure is £10 of national debt*

*excluding bank bailouts, PFI and virtually everything else, bar the £10 itself.

But would the US currency devalue that much if it printed a fist full of trillion dollar bills to pay the debt off?

As everyone knows this is the only way it can pay off such a figure, and the Chinese seem extra keen to keep their currency down no matter what.

_53681100_us_revenues_976.gif

Is it me or are the projections above pure comedy?

Historically revenue is almost a perfect mirror of spending and yet, why wouldn't we expect the trend to continue?

Assuming spending will be roughly correct...

Edited by 23rdian