House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lepista

What Contract Am I On...

Now, don't get me wrong - I have a great landlord - over the years, he's spent a lot of money repairing, replacing and maintaining our house. This is just a query as to ho9w, legally, this fits in.

We moved into this house a few years ago, got the house through a letting agency, on an AST. We were on this for a couple of years (obviously moving onto a rolling contract). However, all of our dealings were directly with the landlord ( apart from the payments, of course!).

Anyway, Landlord decided he wasn't getting value for money from the letting agency, so 'sacked' them, gave us his bank details, and now we just pay him directly. A few months ago, he has transfered the house to his daughters name (inheritance tax avoidance), and we now pay the money to her account.

So, back to our original query: Where do we stand? I'm not bothered, as we have a good relationship with our (old?) landlord. But it's nice to know.

Now, don't get me wrong - I have a great landlord - over the years, he's spent a lot of money repairing, replacing and maintaining our house. This is just a query as to ho9w, legally, this fits in.

We moved into this house a few years ago, got the house through a letting agency, on an AST. We were on this for a couple of years (obviously moving onto a rolling contract). However, all of our dealings were directly with the landlord ( apart from the payments, of course!).

Anyway, Landlord decided he wasn't getting value for money from the letting agency, so 'sacked' them, gave us his bank details, and now we just pay him directly. A few months ago, he has transfered the house to his daughters name (inheritance tax avoidance), and we now pay the money to her account.

So, back to our original query: Where do we stand? I'm not bothered, as we have a good relationship with our (old?) landlord. But it's nice to know.

You have a (standard) periodic AST with whoever owns the house.

tim

You have a (standard) periodic AST with whoever owns the house.

tim

But my contract isn't with the house, it's with a landlord. surely, if the landlord changes, then I should have signed a (new) contract with the incoming one?

But my contract isn't with the house, it's with a landlord. surely, if the landlord changes, then I should have signed a (new) contract with the incoming one?

No.

The contract belongs to the property and the LL is whoever owns it

No.

The contract belongs to the property and the LL is whoever owns it

erm... Are you sure? My contract is signed by me and the landlord. I would love to see where you know this from. (not saying you're wrong, btw, it's just totally against what I thought was the case).

You entered into a contract with the original LL, the deposit was paid to the LL via the agent and hopefully protected. The LL then f'd off the agents and nothing changed and finally passed the property to the daughter along with the contract, there will be a term in your contract that states as much for the event that ownership changes.

Yep, it's a standard periodic AST. Bascially, it's just a rolling contract where you need to give one full months notice, and they need to give you two full months notice if they were to evict. This notice must co-incide with your payment date.

The only issues are with the deposit, and I'm assuming it is with one of the depsoit schemes available? If so, just check it still exsists. If not I would write to the landlord asking for details. The only other things is you want to make sure who your landlord is (now the daughter I presume?), hence were do you need to serve notice or request repairs.

A tenancy is not just a contract - it is an interest in land. The interest continues if there is a change in landlord. That has to be the case (and has been the case for ever) as otherwise landlords could end tenancies by selling. Any book on landlord and tenant law will confirm it.