House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garf

Rightmove Competition For New Ideas

It's ideas for thier website. Basically rightmoves developers can't be arsed to think up new ways to improve the site so they are asking people to do it for them with the remote chance of being able to win an iPad.

It's more of a popularity contest anyway. It's who has the most Facebook friends to vote for their own idea because no one will search through the thousands of entries to vote for thier favourite.

They could have a 'Chancers' league' table.

This is where all price hikes are compared to the value of the original purchase price and then the length of ownership.

The biggest hike in price based on the lowest price paid for the shortest period of ownership wins and has their name all over the main page.

The biggest chancers then battle it out to be crowned 'King Of The Chancers For June' etc and win giant vases of twigs.

You may have noticed that Rightmove is running a competition for new ideas:

http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/87606

How do those of us who are male and over 13 take part in this challenge? :-)

My ideas: (Girlies and 13 year olds - feel free to steal them)

1) They should allow multi-select for types of property. It bloody annoying when looking for "a house or a flat or a bungalow" to find the listing littered with commercial rentals and garages for sale.

2) They should have an automatic system for cutting the goolies off of EA who lie about the type of property. It damned annoying to select "at least 1 bedroom" to find that 50% of the properties are studios. If I say, I don't want a studio, it means that I DON'T WANT A STUDIO!

3) They should have a (rental) category for "rooms in shared property". It's even more annoying when looking for say, a two or more bed property to rent that the first half of the list is single room in a 4 bed house.

4) They should remember (as far as possible) my selection when switching from buying to selling. If I'm looking for 2 bed flats to rent within half a mile of a post code starting with the lowest priced, it is unlikely that I'd be interested in buying a 5 bed house within 3 miles starting with the highest priced!

tim

They should have 'user reviews' on each listing or perhaps for each EA or both.

I'd love to see some 'Amazon' type comments on RM, might be a bit too open to libel or something though. :)

Failing that, they should encourage listings to have a floorspace measurement - metres squared or square feet or both. Would make it easier to compare prices and properties.

The only ideas I have is those not wanted by the sellers.

My ideas (all these can then be used in a filter):

+Acorn classification

+Council tax band (plus amendments (i.e. if they have done any changes to the property))

+Time distance from (e.g. I want to search within a 20min commute from my work place)

They should put a box below the price called the WCBP (without credit-boom price) to show what the house would be priced at if mortgage lending was restricted to sensible multiples over the last 12 years;

here's todays equation for the WCBP box

(WCBP = P - 45%)

A twig warning before displaying pictures. Something along the lines of:

"Caution, this photo may include extreme twigging"

Have a database linked to the property, rather than the advert, so that you can see the entire history of each property. Not only when it was last sold, and ofr what price, but also if the owners have been kite flying in the past, what prices they had the property up for, and what the description of the property was then. This would help to show what improvements have been made to each property.

I also like the idea above of giving property square meterages, with the proviso that it should also include a land area too.

They should have 'user reviews' on each listing or perhaps for each EA or both.

I'd love to see some 'Amazon' type comments on RM, might be a bit too open to libel or something though. :)

Failing that, they should encourage listings to have a floorspace measurement - metres squared or square feet or both. Would make it easier to compare prices and properties.

+1