House Price Crash Forum
timebandit

Daily Express Sarah O'grady Ramping Again

RECORD low interest rates have prompted a summer surge in sales to revitalise Britain’s housing market, experts said last night.

Estate agents have recorded an 11 per cent jump in buyers this month helped by an increasing number of low mortgage deals and more realistic asking prices from home sellers.

"a bloody awful newspaper. It is full of lies, scandal and imagination. It is a vicious paper." Phil the Greek

Sarah O'grady, Oh look who hubbie is Stewart Jackson MP

stewartsarahxmasday.jpg

Parliamentary expenses

In May 2009, Jackson's Parliamentary expenses were scrutinised in the expenses scandal. Articles in the Daily Telegraph reported that Jackson had claimed more than £66,000 in three financial years for housing costs in his constituency: on 11 May 2009 the newspaper reported that he had claimed £11,000 in professional, legal and mortgage fees on buying a new constituency home. However, Jackson explained that there were legitimate 'one-off costs' relating to the purchasing of a home base in the constituency after his election as an MP, and until the house was purchased, he, his wife and infant daughter were renting one bedroomed accommodation in the constituency.[3] On 12 May 2009, both BBC Newsnight, and a second article published by The Daily Telegraph reported that Jackson had claimed £55,000 on housing costs for the constituency house, bringing the total sum to over £66,000.[4] When asked about how MPs should be housed in their constituencies, Jackson was quoted in the Daily Telegraph as saying that any ban on the second home allowance would be "draconian and unfair".[5] David Cameron, leader of Jackson’s Conservative Party, declared himself appalled at the raft of revelations made by the Telegraph relating to claims submitted by his parliamentary party colleagues, and stated that disciplinary action could be taken against those who had acted illegally or outside of the rules.[6] However, no action was taken against Jackson by either his party or Parliamentary authorities, who deemed his expense claims to be legal and within the rules.[7]

WIKI LINK

GREAT NEWS.......

27.06.11, 3:55am

I love these good news headlines on a Monday morning. Sets up a great week at work.

I do worry for first time buyers. At this rate house price inflation will soon be out of control. I suggest they buy now if possible.

• Posted by: Sibley • Report Comment

And true to form in the comments section, the real message and purpose of the "news" article is revealed by the bogus "reader comment".

Wow, I have just realised that this is the Express FRONT PAGE!

The housing survey actually confirms a 3.9% annual fall in prices, yet the Express front page says CHEAP HOME LOANS SPARK BOOM.

Even by Express standards that is a breath-taking bit of lying. Is there not some part of the press complaints commission that you can complain to about such blatant untruths being published as news?

Yet another story that will be used to ramp. :rolleyes:

I heard bbc radio today say how this big 11% jump in buyers, is good news for the housing market.

I was watching Sky New last night

"and at 10:30pm we will look at tomorrow's front pages, including this one from the Daily Express..... Cheap home loans spark boom...."

The housing survey actually confirms a 3.9% annual fall in prices, yet the Express front page says CHEAP HOME LOANS SPARK BOOM.

Even by Express standards that is a breath-taking bit of lying. Is there not some part of the press complaints commission that you can complain to about such blatant untruths being published as news?

PCC regulation is voluntary, and the Daily Express don't volunteer.

Too many BTL'ers with vested interests working in places these days. Last three companies I've worked at my boss has owned at least one BTL joint besides his main residence.

Maybe rules need changed so that people who make decisions in councils/government and write crap like this have to declare their open positions.

CHEAP HOME LOANS SPARK BOOM

By Sarah O’Grady

Blah, blah, blah, houses only ever go up...

Positions: 16 BTL's, 85% of actual wealth invested in property along with another 350% of borrowed wealth.

PS. No idea if this fool owns any BTL's or not.

Just the usual case of Express wishful thinking and printing what they think readers want to hear.

Desperately thinking that swimming against the tide is somehow going to result in it turning any time soon.

Just the usual case of Express wishful thinking and printing what they think readers want to hear.

Desperately thinking that swimming against the tide is somehow going to result in it turning any time soon.

It has an impact though. That 16% rise they conjured up has been given considerable mileage, probably more so than any negative figure in recent weeks. Don't doubt the readership of this trash either. Was recently visiting a highly educated and well-employed pal, who is incredibly bullish on house prices, when I noticed that day's Express in the back of his car. We've had discussions many times on house prices, but if I push things further it's going to ruin the friendship. He really does spout the kind of misinformed rubbish found in the Express and now I know why. I am sure he buys the paper because of their stance on house prices.

It has an impact though. That 16% rise they conjured up has been given considerable mileage, probably more so than any negative figure in recent weeks. Don't doubt the readership of this trash either. Was recently visiting a highly educated and well-employed pal, who is incredibly bullish on house prices, when I noticed that day's Express in the back of his car. We've had discussions many times on house prices, but if I push things further it's going to ruin the friendship. He really does spout the kind of misinformed rubbish found in the Express and now I know why. I am sure he buys the paper because of their stance on house prices.

Why don't you just tell him he's a moron? :rolleyes::wacko::wacko:

Well logically it is possible to have prices fall 3.9% in a year, and then sales (not prices) to shoot up 11% as people take advantage of lower prices.

Of course that ignores all the people losing or fearing for their job, all those who've had to take pay cuts or go part-time, and the fact that house prices are still ridiculously high even after a 3.9% reduction

Given the bank holidays, there were 20 working days in May. There were (are) 22 working days this June. So, sales have risen 10% in a month that has 10% more working days...?

The Daily Express is the natural successor to the Sunday Sport, except the TITS are not so obvious, as they are the journalists.

Edited by Dan1

:unsure:

Really?! :rolleyes:

Its the average percentage of asking price achieved, not the % achieving asking price - BIG difference. I did feel it was my duty to inform Sarah o' Grady of her - ahem - error:

Contrary to what Sibley (failed property speculator panicking about his 'investment' loosing money every month and trying single-handedly to convince everyone each and every month that it is a good time to buy) says, if prices are falling and interest rates are not likely to rise for a few years (must be true, the express says so), then there's no rush to buy is there?

Oh and by the way Sarah o' Grady: "...93 per cent of sellers getting asking prices." - try reading the report you are selectively quoting again, you'll find the average sale is for 93% of the asking price. Big difference to 93% of sellers achieving asking price. Although I'm sure you wouldn't set out to intentionally mislead would you?

:D

Its the average percentage of asking price achieved, not the % achieving asking price - BIG difference. I did feel it was my duty to inform Sarah o' Grady of her - ahem - error:

:D

As I suspected. Thanks NEO72. :)

Are you going to post that in the Express comments?

Done

Sarah O'Grady journalist who wrote this article, are you proud of these articles you submit ramping house values?

What ever happen investigative journalism are you just a mouthpiece for your paymasters, Ex banker-tax sucking husband Stewart Jackson sitting MP(Peterborough) or do you or family members have a portfolio of BTL properties?

So Ms O' Grady time to explain to your readers and FTB who you wish to saddle with debt in a declining market. Are really independent of morals or do you have even an ounce of ambition to return to investigative journalism? I look forward to your reply in the comment section.

Kind regards

Timebandit

Lets see if they post my comment or receive a reply ( no chance).

Thank You

Your comment has been received and will be published to the DailyExpress website shortly. Please note that whilst we endevour to publish all user comments, we cannot guarantee your comment will be made visible to website viewers. Any comments found to be inappropriate or in breach of the MyEXPRESS terms and conditions will not be published.

NB Any comments found to be inappropriate or in breach of the MyExpress terms and conditions WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

Too many BTL'ers with vested interests working in places these days. Last three companies I've worked at my boss has owned at least one BTL joint besides his main residence.

Maybe rules need changed so that people who make decisions in councils/government and write crap like this have to declare their open positions.

Not to worry, renters don't spend nearly as much on repeat house transformations and most BTL'ers couldn't give a fig about the state of their properties - end result long term downfall of pretty much anything linked to the housing market which in this country is pretty much the only thing left - end result will be the same, collapse of the fke economy and house prices with it.

Not to worry, renters don't spend nearly as much on repeat house transformations and most BTL'ers couldn't give a fig about the state of their properties - end result long term downfall of pretty much anything linked to the housing market which in this country is pretty much the only thing left - end result will be the same, collapse of the fke economy and house prices with it*.

*Except Maidstone

Fixed

Just sent a quick email to the online editor requesting some feedback.

Express Website: Online Editor - Geoff Marsh

Email: geoff.marsh@express.co.uk

Good morning, Mr Marsh

I enjoy the opportunity to respond to various articles that grab my interest, however I believe the readers would appreciate dialogue with the journalists who write for your newspaper. With this in mind how about Ms Sarah O'Grady responding to mine and others contributors questions raised in her last article.

Kind regards