House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Dumpster Nightmare: How Would You Like A Dustbin Shared By 40 Families Dumped Outside The Front Of Your Home?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008236/Dumpster-Nightmare-How-like-dustbin-shared-40-families-dumped-outside-YOUR-home.html

They take your parking space, destroy the value of your house and stink to high heaven. Oh... and they save your council £250k a year but you don't get a penny back. They're the latest 'continental' import.

Door-to-door rubbish collections are under threat as councils turn to continental-style communal dustbins shared by as many as 40 households.

Under the scheme – already operating in some cities – families carry their bin bags up to 150 yards to industrial-style dumpsters placed on the street, rather than having their waste collected from individual dustbins outside their front door.

When I saw the headline I wondered how long into the article I would read before it said it would destroy the value of your home, I didn't have to read far.

However will this idea catch on to save money? How does the council decide who gets to have the bins outside their house?

Still at least no senior council official has had their salary cut.

However will this idea catch on to save money?

This is how they do it where I live in France. You take your black bin bags to the nearest giant bin and the bin trucks come around and lift them on an arm. You do not have house to house garbage collection. They are placed all over so there is never far to go unless you are remote in which case you drive them to the big bin. The bin trucks do not want to go down little lanes so the bins tend to placed on the road junctions.

It has become fashionable in the UK for home owners to believe they have rights to the public street outside their house. Yet it is a public street, residents parking permits go against this idea.

This is how they do it where I live in France.

We have bins for general rubbish, recycling and garden waste. Collections are 3 times per week. We have to clean our own bins twice a year for which we hire a pressure washer etc.

The only problems are with chavvie renters who put the wrong rubbish in the wrong bins for which we get fined by the council.

Has them when I lived in Hove. They get emptied every day and I never had a problem with it. Given that house prices are now double what they were when the dumpsters were installed it doesnt appear to have much of an effect. Only ballache was the it reduced the number of parking spaces by quite a bit - but no so much that the council felt bad about also converting a load of the permit only bays to pay and display at the same time.

I think it's a great idea as it would make people think twice about generating so much rubbish going to landfill. In the first picture why isn't she recycling that empty beer bottle and cardboard cartons ?

I think it's a great idea as it would make people think twice about generating so much rubbish going to landfill. In the first picture why isn't she recycling that empty beer bottle and cardboard cartons ?

People who recycle now and try to throw less away will continue to do so. With a little less cheer in their soul.

Those who don't give a damn won't give a damn still.

In hot countries (maybe Malta?) they have a daily refuse collection from communal collections?

It will be a flytipping nightmare lol. Typical of these nasty dirty councils paying themselves huge amounts for unproductive work and charging us through the roof then reducing our services instead of reducing their extortionate pay.

It will be a flytipping nightmare lol. Typical of these nasty dirty councils paying themselves huge amounts for unproductive work and charging us through the roof then reducing our services instead of reducing their extortionate pay.

Didn't seem to cause many problems when I was in France. It will almost certainly reduce recycling though. People might bother when they can chuck the different stuff into a bin outside their back door but not if they have to then carry separate bags everywhere.

France varies from place to place, but generally the rubbish is collected quickly and efficiently. In the south, they collect two or three tines a week, possibly because of the heat. Where we are now, in northern France, the collections are weekly.

We have bins for general rubbish, recycling and garden waste. Collections are 3 times per week. We have to clean our own bins twice a year for which we hire a pressure washer etc.

The only problems are with chavvie renters who put the wrong rubbish in the wrong bins for which we get fined by the council.

Is it just the chav renters who get fined or is it all the residents ? If the latter is the case it seems so unfair that the only remedy would be mass civil disobedience.

France varies from place to place, but generally the rubbish is collected quickly and efficiently. In the south, they collect two or three tines a week, possibly because of the heat. Where we are now, in northern France, the collections are weekly.

I was in the south but I didn't see how often they were collected. There was always room in them when I chucked my rubbish in. What might not work in the UK is the location. They were on a small patch of waste ground where, well, kids isn't the right word, maybe 20 or so years old would hang around. There they weren't a problem, despite being a bit noisy and messy sometimes (you'd usually get a "Bonjour" if they saw you rather than the mouthful of abuse I'd expect here).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008236/Dumpster-Nightmare-How-like-dustbin-shared-40-families-dumped-outside-YOUR-home.html

When I saw the headline I wondered how long into the article I would read before it said it would destroy the value of your home, I didn't have to read far.

However will this idea catch on to save money? How does the council decide who gets to have the bins outside their house?

Still at least no senior council official has had their salary cut.

As long as the dumpster can be located sufficiently far away from any individual house, I think it's a good idea as long as it gets emptied frequently enough. Obviously, because of high density living conditions, this idea would not be applicable everywhere.

There is of course, though, the deeper issue of employment. That is to say, half of the bleeding country are employed by the state, either directly or indirectly. That being the case, reducing the number of people required to do things like clear the bins only means that there is more to pay out in terms of housuing benefit/unemployment benefit. Now, one may argue that the private sector will take up the slack. Well, without wholesale reform of things like land and property rights and without a complete collapse in asset prices such that production costs fall enough to make it worthwhile producing again, that just aint gonna happen.

Why?

Because the very people who benefit from land and property rights as they stand and the very people who benefit from inflated asset prices as they stand are the very same people who are running the show right now.

Might come as news to the Daily Chav but we have that already, as will many flat, sorry "apartment" dwellers. We have two bin area's which are fenced off, and contain half a dozen or so huge bins. Kirklees empty once a week.

Not sure how it would work as this development is purpose built. Assuming each street had a room for a purpose built refuse area, it might work. I suspect it would cause more complication than it was worth.

As long as council tax goes down appropriately to take into account these new arrangements, I don't see a problem.

Yeah down by a couple of quid and back up in a years time. If their not collecting rubbish, what are we paying council tax for? Seems like councils want to eliminate services to residents, why not just eliminate the bloody councils.

Is it just the chav renters who get fined or is it all the residents ? If the latter is the case it seems so unfair that the only remedy would be mass civil disobedience.

The surcharge is shared by all the property owners in our area, the renters don't pay a penny and don't care even when told.

‘There are no benefits. People stuff them full of garden waste instead of recycling it, and fly-tippers leave all manner of things beside them. We have had television sets and old computers left in the road. I wish they’d never had this ridiculous idea.’

I recycle my garden waste, after cutting the grass on a Saturday I throw it in the boot and drive 2 miles to the tip then two miles back again, on a cold engine. Everyone else in my area does the same as there is no garden waste collection.

The whole waste disposal situation, like many things, needs seriously looked at, as does recycling. Things need to be both green and efficient, sacrificing one for the other is pointless.

I suspect it will take $500 oil before we get any form of efficiency in anything in this country. Instead we pretend to be green by simply moving the problem somewhere else.

If the councils want to save money then they need to cut some fat. Since most councils are hideously obese then this should be easy. Too many troughers for that though, instead the serfs can make do with less...

I love the photo caption

"Long walk: Manchester pensioner Olwyn Steinloft grapples with a heavy lid after a 100 yard trudge to her bin".................In the heat, the blistering heat, and the snow and the ice and oh no she has fallen over breaking her hip, ....and has been run over by a truck, oh the horror of it...AND ITS ALL THE BINS FAULT!!!!

I recycle my garden waste, after cutting the grass on a Saturday I throw it in the boot and drive 2 miles to the tip then two miles back again, on a cold engine. Everyone else in my area does the same as there is no garden waste collection.

Get a compost heap.

Down in Southampton where the bin men have gone on strike, it would be useful to have any collection at all.

I've just spent an hour emptying bins into black sacks, for the four houses on our courtyard, to take to the recycling centre.

Spain has wheelie-bins (is that the same as a dumpster?) that get emptied every night. No problem, no mess. When I lived in Brighton people left bins and bin-bags outside their front door and the seagulls/cats would just rip it open and drag all the rubbish down the street. Can't see why that would be better for house prices.

Yeah down by a couple of quid and back up in a years time. If their not collecting rubbish, what are we paying council tax for? Seems like councils want to eliminate services to residents, why not just eliminate the bloody councils.

There was a show on the beeb not long ago "The Street That Cut Everything". Of course a completely unbiased view of council services which made out that without the council we would simply not cope. Rubbish piling up, the lack of streetlights attracting hoardes of hoodlums, some out of work people not having money to send their kid to school or various afterschool activities - absolute bedlam.

Of course it may well be like that - for the first month or two you closed the council, after which time people will have simply readjusted. If anything, it might just add a little more independance to peoples lives - certainly financial independance.