House Price Crash Forum

Back when I were a lass I had to get a Saturday job. There'd be loads. Well quite a few...

Is it expected of kids to get Saturday and holiday jobs anymore?

(Or is it just me thinks its a good idea?)

Thing of the past. Do two days minimum and claim the full Tax Credit!

I don't know whether you are having a go at the claimant (wrong IMO) or the subsidised "entrepreneurs" I'm supposed to admire who milk me as a tax payer to allow their non businesses to continue by subsidising their non jobs with my cash to allow them to keep real profits. If it is a swipe at the later, I'm with you Mr Little.

I've seen quite a few middle aged and old men doing paper rounds/deliveries so it's probably considered a full-time job this day and age :lol:

Don't konck it, it is the only work we are likely to get short of fie A star A levels, a working knowledge of Cantonese, Mandarin and German a first or upper second from a Russel group university in engineering, law, PPE or a science subject degree and a years internship in inner London supported by living in parents second home (a pied a terre near nice and near the centre) whilst you show your talents to law firm/ newspaper/ accountants you wish to charm into giving you a job. Then you can start to pay off your university debt.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, 'cause if you don't have a family rich enough to send you to a posh school and pay your tuition fees, it is fairly unlikely you would be going to a Russel group University or getting a shot at decent job in London anyway.

Don't konck it, it is the only work we are likely to get short of fie A star A levels, a working knowledge of Cantonese, Mandarin and German a first or upper second from a Russel group university in engineering, law, PPE or a science subject degree and a years internship in inner London supported by living in parents second home (a pied a terre near nice and near the centre) whilst you show your talents to law firm/ newspaper/ accountants you wish to charm into giving you a job. Then you can start to pay off your university debt.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, 'cause if you don't have a family rich enough to send you to a posh school and pay your tuition fees, it is fairly unlikely you would be going to a Russel group University or getting a shot at decent job in London anyway.

I wasn't knocking it, just laughing at the state of the UK given that grown men had to do this to survive <_<

Was talking about this on another thread a few months back.

Seems Health & Safety might limit what jobs are actually available to kids...

I wasn't knocking it, just laughing at the state of the UK given that grown men had to do this to survive <_<

...I know of someone on Jobseekers allowance who had to take a paper delivery to show he was willing.... <_<

Was talking about this on another thread a few months back.

Seems Health & Safety might limit what jobs are actually available to kids...

I've just got back from Diggerland. Was okay, bit pricey though for the size of it. Was all 16-18 year olds lobbing kids around on JCB's. :lol:

But, honestly, my reaction is to want to cry, being unable at present to cut the throat of a banker or lobbyist.

It is dire out there , yes unless you come in the groups that you mention the chances of a decent job are very slim.

In my life I have worked for eight different companies , four were decent well paid jobs four were not. 21 years ago I left a decent job for a better one and was made redundant after 17 years . When the company took the jobs overseas.

The company I left was still going at this time and every so often when driving past that firm I used to think should I have stayed with them . Tonight driving home I passed that firm not only has it also shut down but it has now been demolished. Thinking about it that makes it that every company I have ever worked for has now shut down , apart from the job I have now which is not well paid and not always full time.

I've just got back from Diggerland. Was okay, bit pricey though for the size of it. Was all 16-18 year olds lobbing kids around on JCB's. :lol:

16-18!!

When we went there our 6 year-old was driving them, and was scarily good at it!

What is wrong with it ? Delivering papers in not necessary - but a luxury. If someone wants it then someone else will have to deliver it. I do not see why a 14 year old doing it or a 40 year old doing it means much. Why would it ?

What is the difference between that and a heart surgeon ? In reality - neither is necessary or of a great benefit to society. I know how harsh that may sound - but if you really think about it very true.

I've seen quite a few middle aged and old men doing paper rounds/deliveries so it's probably considered a full-time job this day and age :lol:

I'm 39, and I've got what my OH refers to as an 'executive paper round' - local lifestyle mag. Why pay for gym membership when you can get paid to exercise? Some people spend a fortune trying to shift a couple of stone, I got paid whilst doing it.

It is dire out there , yes unless you come in the groups that you mention the chances of a decent job are very slim.

In my life I have worked for eight different companies , four were decent well paid jobs four were not. 21 years ago I left a decent job for a better one and was made redundant after 17 years . When the company took the jobs overseas.

The company I left was still going at this time and every so often when driving past that firm I used to think should I have stayed with them . Tonight driving home I passed that firm not only has it also shut down but it has now been demolished. Thinking about it that makes it that every company I have ever worked for has now shut down , apart from the job I have now which is not well paid and not always full time.

Even the groups mentioned ( short of fie A star A levels, a working knowledge of Cantonese, Mandarin and German a first or upper second from a Russel group university in engineering, law, PPE or a science subject degree and a years internship ) aren't necessarily going to have a chance of a decent job. Increasing automation/computerisation/outsourcing will put paid to that. Only the upper/politician classes will have a hope, it's just the middle classes being hollowed out now following on from the working class being shafted.

What is wrong with it ? Delivering papers in not necessary - but a luxury. If someone wants it then someone else will have to deliver it. I do not see why a 14 year old doing it or a 40 year old doing it means much. Why would it ?

What is the difference between that and a heart surgeon ? In reality - neither is necessary or of a great benefit to society. I know how harsh that may sound - but if you really think about it very true.

Go down that path and no job is necessary other than farming. On the subject of "great benefit to society" nothing is. Great benefits are made up of lots of little ones, as are the problems (which is why I get angry and depressed about all the little things that individually aren't worth bothering about). Anyway, most jobs exist simply because we haven't worked out how to deal with the situation where we don't need very many people in order to do all the things we need, or want for that matter.

While I agree there are big odds stacked against the ordinary bod these days. (thank labour for 13years of falling social mobility) it is vital that we don't accept the idea of "can't win won't try".

People with oxbridge degrees and trust funds have a head start it is true but if people just sit back and give up then they only have themselves to blame.

You sound (if you'll forgive me) like someone about to enter the workplace, perhaps about to leave university. Or dispirited from 100s of "graduate" job applications. But my own personal experience leads me to believe that "success", however you define it is possible whatever your back ground. Harder yes, but possible.

I (comprehensive lad) left the university of shizervile with literally the most useless mickey mouse degree with no conceivable application in the business world. 6 years later I am in a job I love, at a senior level earning good (though not astounding) money.

It can be done. You may have to start in a job you hate (for me it was recruitment sales) and work your way up and out but the lesson I've learned from being in the workplace is that while various certificates etc... can open doors it is perfectly possible to kick them down with ambition and hard work.

Likewise what fancy certificates stop the commited entrepreneur?

If you, or someone you cared about, had been born with a congenital heart defect you might have a different opinion.

On the original topic, well I had a Saturday/Sunday job from when I was sixteen and at school until I was 21 and leaving university. It was in retail, as I imagine many still are.

The retailer I work for is still trading, and I would assume still employing 16/17 year olds to work the busier weekend shifts.

If you, or someone you cared about, had been born with a congenital heart defect you might have a different opinion.

I suspect that ccc's point is that not enough people are for it to make any noticeable difference to overall society whether those people live or die.

I think it mean's quite a lot if you really think about it .

Untill recently a 40 year old man would be earning more money elsewhere leaving the paper rounds to 14 year old's earning pocket money .Now the 40 year old is competing with the 14 year old , Quite simple really.

Go down that path and no job is necessary other than farming. On the subject of "great benefit to society" nothing is. Great benefits are made up of lots of little ones, as are the problems (which is why I get angry and depressed about all the little things that individually aren't worth bothering about). Anyway, most jobs exist simply because we haven't worked out how to deal with the situation where we don't need very many people in order to do all the things we need, or want for that matter.

Would agree with that. More people could be out doing interesting and fun things.

But that is a personal opinion. I am just talking about the principle of the matter. A heart surgeon is no more necessary than a paper boy on this planet. IMO.

I suspect that ccc's point is that not enough people are for it to make any noticeable difference to overall society whether those people live or die.

Yes exactly. Not that individuals involved in these situations would think that way. Of course not - myself included. However standing back and looking at the bigger picture ? People with health issues are supposed to die. That is what nature does. It may not be very palatable individually. No argument there. However it is the truth.

I think it mean's quite a lot if you really think about it .

Untill recently a 40 year old man would be earning more money elsewhere leaving the paper rounds to 14 year old's earning pocket money .Now the 40 year old is competing with the 14 year old , Quite simple really.

But I am talking generally. What is wrong with a 40 year old bloke doing a paper rounds ? I imagine many 40 year old blokes would far prefer it to the place they actually work in today.