House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Glastonbury

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/

Any thoughts on the Friday line-up?

I'm not a fan of U2 but I did see Bono had made a video about his pullout last year

they made a couple of good songs , but that stage aint big enough for his head/ ego, i think hes a twit rantin on about good causes around the world , so dish out your own millions and while your at it get that other twunt sting to cough up as well then you,ll get my respect ! :angry:

Ah, you mean the Pilton Pop Festival :) Never been, although its nearly up the road from me...I saw some of the lineup - Coldplay, Beyonce, Bombay Bicycle Club, Two Door Cinema Club, Biffy Cliro, etc...sod that - the main action I'm lead to believe is the smaller tents...theyre showing U2, and not DJ Shadow's set on tele...grr

Violent scenes broke out in the crowd at U2’s long-awaited Glastonbury debut on Friday night as a protest against the Irish band’s tax status was foiled by security guards.

As Bono and his bandmates took to the Pyramid Stage, activists from direct action group Art Uncut inflated a 20ft balloon emblazoned with the message “U Pay Your Tax 2”.

But as the campaigners tried to release it over the 50,000-strong crowd, a team of 10 security guards wrestled them to the ground before deflating the balloon and taking it away.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/8598100/Violent-scenes-break-out-in-the-crowd-at-U2s-long-awaited-Glastonbury-debut.html

Violent scenes broke out in the crowd at U2's long-awaited Glastonbury debut on Friday night as a protest against the Irish band's tax status was foiled by security guards.

As Bono and his bandmates took to the Pyramid Stage, activists from direct action group Art Uncut inflated a 20ft balloon emblazoned with the message "U Pay Your Tax 2".

But as the campaigners tried to release it over the 50,000-strong crowd, a team of 10 security guards wrestled them to the ground before deflating the balloon and taking it away.

http://www.telegraph...bury-debut.html

Aww, that's a shame. That would've been an awesome coup floating over the pyramid crowd.

Well done for trying. Now go and float one outside Google.

Wow..so many bands I've never heard of! I went to Glastonbury three times in the 80's(including the 1985 mudfest.) Some interesting ones though..John Otway and Arthur Brown are always entertaining,likewise the excellent Hawkwind spin-off,'Nik Turner's Space Ritual.' Jah Wobble(who lives in Bramhall now,of all places,though I've never spotted him there.) The Master Musicians of Joujouka played with Brian Jones in the 60's.Edgar Broughton should be good.Marsupilami..not heard anyone mention them in the last 30 years! Mick Farren used to be lead "singer" of the Deviants,who used to be so drug-addled they could barely stand up on stage.(Oh,and I thought Duane Eddy and Lee Scratch Perry were already dead!)

New Order in '86, unbeaten.

The best years of the Love Parade in Berlin piss all over Glastonbury. I bought beer from a helicopter! Lots of unmuddy nakedness in one of the funkiest cities eveh.

My avatar picture is Lily Allen's bum from 2009, I swear to lord god almighty she winked at me when she flashed her **** :rolleyes: .

I went twice in the 90's and I've been to the last three and have noticed the acts are getting a little predictable. But then it's not really aimed at people in their mid 30's.

The great moments from the 80's and 90's are more likely boosted by your own youth and the relevance of the music to you then.

I've seen some unforgettable acts, rarely the headliners, that are on mid afternoon and play to an audience that is not necessarily there for them. Acts like Seasick Steve always capture the crowd, Ray Davis last year nailed it, Neil Diamond and that type of older performer where the crowd might think they know one or two songs, but really know many more. I spend half the time looking back at the crowd and watching how they get into the older acts.

I also love that you can tell what day it is by timing the gap between release and splash in the long drops. Was there the year some poor girl fell in trying to retrieve her mobile phone :( .

Just aimlessly wandering round and stumbling on some great music that you may not have consciously made an effort to see is one of the best things about Glastonbury. Having said that I'm gutted I missed out this year as I would have loved to see Paul Simon, imho, one of the greatest popular musicians ever.

One of the most annoying things is when you do make an effort to get there early, for the one act you really must see, you always get these snotty little public school kids (you know, the Hunter wellies and flowery dresses with perfectly messed up hair and the boys in turned up cut off jeans and straw hats) turning up at the last minute trying to crash to the front and at Glastonbury it's not the done thing to slap them, much as you'd like to. The only time I happily let them through was for the Prodigy, watching them go under when the bass kicked in was very satisfying, thrashing about on a carpet of Tarquin and Henrietta was most satisfying :) .

Everyone should do it once, you're never too old.

Jumped the fence in 1999, luckily it was a hot one that year. The highlight was the crowd throwing stuff at Keanu Reeves band, Dogstar if I recall correctly and watching the Free Stylers. A few of my mates had a funny turn from consuming too much amphet, not a pretty site.

Even right-wing US commentators are on to U2:

VIOLENT PROTESTERS TELL U2 TO PAY ITS TAXES. “Art Uncut argues that while Bono campaigns against poverty in the developing world, his group has avoided paying Irish taxes at a time when his austerity-hit country desperately needs money.” Less sanctimony, more accountability.

Not too sure about the "VIOLENT" bit.

why?

Why not....looks like fun to me....better than boring wimbledon or whatever is in store for us to wonder over next year that many have bid on....hanger lane gyratory. ;)

I've seen some unforgettable acts, rarely the headliners, that are on mid afternoon and play to an audience that is not necessarily there for them.

Agree with that 100%. I've been four times, first back in 1986, and ever time it was some act I'd never heard of before I went that was the highlight for me. To be honest though, I always found the whole event a bit hard going - a bit like Wagner really, wonderful moments and terrible quarter hours.

I had some fantastic Glastonburys (generally when it didn't rain too much), and some dreadful ones (when it did - It's a working farm and all those cowpats dissolve and run down the hills as slurry. So don't camp at the bottom like I did). One year was so muddy I got stuck in front of the Other Stage in my wellies - literally couldn't lift them out of the mud - so just stayed there for a succession of bands, swaying rather than dancing. On the other hand watching the sun rise over the festival on hot year is hard to beat. For all its faults, it does have something of a spirit that sets it apart from the more corporate events (V - I'm looking at you!)

I gave up in the late 90s after a run of wet years, and the sudden appearance of mobile phones (and the associated shouted phone calls right next to you as you tried to watch a band). These days the BBC coverage and iPlayer mean I get to see more of it than when I was actually there.

Most abiding memory? How by Sunday night all the portaloos have their own pyramid of poo poking up above the seats, in homage to the Pyramid Stage :o

Also hate the self-congratulatory BBC coverage. "You were amazing. We're amazing too because we listen to music, yeah?"

Lol! Nailed it!

Also hate the self-congratulatory BBC coverage. "You were amazing. We're amazing too because we listen to music, yeah?"

Zane Lowe and Jo Whiley wind me up something rotten but the others are just as bad for a**e licking every band.

With the number of bands that are on there's no way they can like every genre of music but everything will always 'go down in history' according to them. Not once has anyone ever said it's not their cup of tea or a bit out of tune.

Coldplay last night Chris Martin fluffed a song, I saw them in December of last year and he must have done this five or six times, stopping every time. He seems to actually enjoy doing it and then taking the blame all to himself!

Heard on news about posh old Tory guy, friend of Call me Dave found dead there this morning. Am wondering about coke induced heart attacks...

Heard on news about posh old Tory guy, friend of Call me Dave found dead there this morning. Am wondering about coke induced heart attacks...

More details please, can't be Heathcote Amory, ex MP of the area who got ousted by the dodgy charlaton Tessa *unt a year ago.

Zane Lowe and Jo Whiley wind me up something rotten but the others are just as bad for a**e licking every band.

With the number of bands that are on there's no way they can like every genre of music but everything will always 'go down in history' according to them. Not once has anyone ever said it's not their cup of tea or a bit out of tune.

Coldplay last night Chris Martin fluffed a song, I saw them in December of last year and he must have done this five or six times, stopping every time. He seems to actually enjoy doing it and then taking the blame all to himself!

Fearne Cotton is a thousand times worse...absolutely bloody horrendous...

R1 used to play a lot of new & exciting bands during the day, but all it is stuff like Mumford & Sons, Noah & the Whale and all that nonsense.....I used to listen to Radcliffe & Maconie on R2 until Jo Wiley took over that slot...dont listen to it any more since she ruined it...