House Price Crash Forum

Question Time Lastnight

pajd

HOLA441

The labour woman "It was a global economic crisis...it all started elsewhere....Labour didn't go on a spending spree...blah...blah...blah" The usual ploy of Labour blaming everyone else

John Redwood dared to suggest Labour didn't regulate the banks in the UK and spent, spent and spent some more.....cue the audience turning on him :rolleyes:

It seems the public still haven't got it

HOLA442

And my favourite old chestnut:

"Before the financial crisis, the level of debt and the size of the deficit was LOWER than when we came to office..."

Obviously the little darling didn't mention to £Gazallion PFI liabilities that will have to be paid back. But hey ho. Out of sight and off-balance sheet, out of mind...

To be fair:

"Our spending plans were fully supported by the tories......"

Which is in part true.

TBH, after Osborne's snide summary of the Irish "Celtic Tiger" economy and how we should all try and emulate the Irish model, I feel that there is only one way the economy (both ours and global) is going.

Time to hit the re-set button now methinks. Nothing will be learned and the whole sorry process will start again. But maybe we can avoid some of the pain....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Edit: The audience seemed less "libour luvvie" than usual..... I could hear a few rounds of applause when anything sane and vaguely right wing was said. Normally this is drowned out by the Unison crowd but last night it wasn't. Anyone else notice this? Or had I had one too many glasses of wine? :lol:

Edited by Badlad1967

HOLA443

The labour woman "It was a global economic crisis...it all started elsewhere....Labour didn't go on a spending spree...blah...blah...blah" The usual ploy of Labour blaming everyone else

John Redwood dared to suggest Labour didn't regulate the banks in the UK and spent, spent and spent some more.....cue the audience turning on him :rolleyes:

The current crisis is the end result of 80 odd years of fiat money and hundreds of years of FRB banking.

labour didn't fix it, but they aren't the cause and the vulcan redwood would have no more fixed it than he would give up his consultancy fees. btw -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Redwood

Redwood was born in Dover, Kent. His parents lived in a council house in Canterbury until Redwood was four years' old. Redwood was educated locally, attending Kent College, Canterbury on a scholarship before going up to Magdalen College, Oxford where he obtained the degree of BA in Modern History in 1971. He later studied at St Antony's College, Oxford, taking the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in 1975.

From 1974 to 1977, he was an investment analyst at Robert Fleming & Co. From 1977 to 1978, he was a Bank Clerk at N M Rothschild & Sons, becoming a Manager in 1978, Assistant Director in 1979 and a Director of the Overseas Division from 1980 to 1983. From 1986 to 1987, he was Overseas Corporate Finance Director and Head of International (non-UK) Privatisation.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

One of my colleagues is like this, it's a global economic crisis. The problem is global.... When I ask what's global they appear to have no idea and when you start talking about debt they appear to put their fingers in their ears and go la la la. And of course the cutting back spending isn't the way to do as we need to spend our way out, of course by taking on even more debt.

Although as noted above the problem has been decades in the making and it's just that Labour where in power when it started to boil over.

HOLA447

The current crisis is the end result of 80 odd years of fiat money and hundreds of years of FRB banking.

labour didn't fix it, but they aren't the cause and the vulcan redwood would have no more fixed it than he would give up his consultancy fees. btw -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Redwood

Vulcan is far too nice a term for him

HOLA448

I watched it up until i found out Fern Britton was on the panel. Fern Britton ffs.That is a p1ss take too far. What next, the Loose Women idiots?

Edited by or in excess of

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I was in the audience on QT last night and my thoughts are that as mentioned above the population still have no real idea about the mess we are in or how it came about. It also seems to me that people find it trendy to be left leaning and not rock the boat and the crowd were no exception.

It feels like we have created a nation of Tory bashing drones who actually fail to try and understand any facts before booing and hissing, The Maggie Thatcher comment descended into booing as though it was popped from a can. The show really is a platform to quell the masses to make us feel like we have a voice, really it's just a pantomime. You could say Labour have succeeded in dumbing down the younger generation, it sure does feel that way to me.

HOLA4412

:lol:

Denial is rampant. No desire to cut or tackle the problems. I expect the Tories to lose the next election. The markets will then force change, Greek style. Rogering 'Mr & Mrs, not my fault' good and proper.

Quite possible. Debt/GDP will be near 100% by then, and the next government won't be able to borrow more to finance budget deficits. They will be forced by to run a balanced budget. No option there - bar printing and hyperinflation, of course, but this would push interest rates sky-high, "rogering" 'Mr & Mrs indebted good and proper.

HOLA4413

So Vulcan got a degree in History/Philosophy and then went straight into the Financial world and had quite a high level of responsibilty.

Those were the days, eh :rolleyes:

That Oxford degree must have opened a few doors . . . .

The Treasurey must be full of them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I was in the audience on QT last night and my thoughts are that as mentioned above the population still have no real idea about the mess we are in or how it came about. It also seems to me that people find it trendy to be left leaning and not rock the boat and the crowd were no exception.

It feels like we have created a nation of Tory bashing drones who actually fail to try and understand any facts before booing and hissing, The Maggie Thatcher comment descended into booing as though it was popped from a can. The show really is a platform to quell the masses to make us feel like we have a voice, really it's just a pantomime. You could say Labour have succeeded in dumbing down the younger generation, it sure does feel that way to me.

Agree 100%

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Never watched the program, but Thatcher was booed? She went before the electorate 3 times and won. once after unleashing hell what the lefties like to term it. Hmmm was the voting rigged in those days?

You can just see the spin when it all crashes down after Labour get voted in. It was the Tories fault for cutting to soon and messing up the recovery. :lol:

HOLA4418

Never watched the program, but Thatcher was booed? She went before the electorate 3 times and won. once after unleashing hell what the lefties like to term it. Hmmm was the voting rigged in those days?

Always has been.

You can just see the spin when it all crashes down after Labour get voted in. It was the Tories fault for cutting to soon and messing up the recovery. :lol:

Yep.

To be fair to both the practically indistinguishable red and blue team, this mess was cracked off by the last liberal government.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

+ 1M

HOLA4421

Was going to do a screengrab of the audience and then mark on who I thought the labour voters were and then mark on who booed for the tories and see if I was right but CBA.

To be fair, there did seem to be a few rational thinkers in the audience. It might be the straight talking Yorkshire grit perhaps but mainly a few of the older end who have seen it all before seemed pretty clued up. However, I always seem to find that lecturers, teachers and public sector workers in general usually seem to be left leaning (for obvious reasons) and there was a fair few.

It is the younger generation I feel we need to worry about. Those that are addicted to credit, have an insane sense of entitlement and have been brainwashed into thinking what are told to believe. What strikes me the most is the complete inability by the public sector workforce in general that they are being treat unfairly by having to work longer and contribute more. The fireman said he felt like a second class citizen. Getting to retire at 50 on a generous pension does not make you a second class citizen. I would argue that those that will be paying for a perfectly healthy man to retire around that age whilst working until 65+? themselves are the second class citizens.

The Private and Public sector are out of kilter and must be set right. The public sector is a function of the private sectors wealth and must not bring it to it's knees.

HOLA4422

To blame Magie all the time is ludicrous, Because the labour party had to go to the IMF in the 70's the labour party already started to implement what would later be described as Thatcherite policey's, which Tony Bliar continued.

I'm really pleased that political debate in this country is no better then pantomime. BOOOOOO HHHIIIISSS bring out the witch and burn her on a stack of Daily Mails, maybe we could finally feel better about ourselves and realise we live in a one party state.

HOLA4423

To blame Magie all the time is ludicrous, Because the labour party had to go to the IMF in the 70's the labour party already started to implement what would later be described as Thatcherite policey's, which Tony Bliar continued.

I'm really pleased that political debate in this country is no better then pantomime. BOOOOOO HHHIIIISSS bring out the witch and burn her on a stack of Daily Mails, maybe we could finally feel better about ourselves and realise we live in a one party state.

Yes Brown kissed Thatchers feet when she visited him in Downing Street in her 'Scarlet' outfit and passed him his orders.

Edward Heath's Policies had already bust the UK - he planned to go to IMF in 1974 economic crisis but kept it under wraps so the Conservatives could blame the next Labour Govt who were elected shortly after.

31 Dec 2009 ... and Whitehall papers released under the Freedom of Information Act

Thatcher was education secretary at the time (1970+) and responsible for millions of kids being made to watch "Please Sir" :rolleyes:

Edited by erranta

HOLA4424

"Before the financial crisis, the level of debt and the size of the deficit was LOWER than when we came to office..."

relative to GDP maybe, just, but our GDP level was a direct biproduct of the events leading to the financial crisis (a bubble economy). In fact government spending doubled in ten years.

HOLA4425

It is the younger generation I feel we need to worry about. Those that are addicted to credit, have an insane sense of entitlement and have been brainwashed into thinking what [they] are told to believe.

Agreed. The young generation are doing exactly what they've been told to do by their parents and grandparents - pass your exams, go to university, aspire to buy a house etc. etc. We have stood back and let the government and the corporations use the education system to pump their brains full of mush. Hell, we might even get a few of these kids to go and fight some pointless wars so that we can fill our 4x4s with cheap oil. Now the whole facade has come crashing down we blame the youngest people in society and, what's more, we expect them to pick up the bill not just for a few years but for a few decades. Our treatment of young people in Britain is disgusting yet all I see in the media is an obsession with 'hard-working families' (ie the Middle Aged) and hysteria about NHS and pension funding (as if the Boomers haven't bled society white already).