House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Uk Copyright Lobby Holds Closed-Door Meetings With Gov't

link

A group of UK copyright lobbyists held confidential, closed-door meetings with Ed Vaizey, Minister for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries to discuss a plan to allow industry groups to censor the Internet in the UK. The proposal has leaked, and it reveals a plan to establish "expert bodies" that would decide which websites British people were allowed to see, to be approved by a judge using a "streamlined" procedure. The procedure will allow for "swift" blocking in order to shut down streaming of live events.

Public interest groups like the Open Rights Group asked to attend the meeting, but were shut out, presaging a regulatory process that's likely to be a lopsided, industry-centric affair that doesn't consider the public. The process is characterised as "voluntary," but the proposal makes reference to the Digital Economy Act, which allows for mandatory web-blocking (thanks to the action of LibDem Lords who submitted a proposal written by a record industry lobbyist as an amendment to the DEA).

The Open Rights Group has a campaign to repeal the DEA that you can sign onto.

We would like confirmation from the government that these are genuine proposals which they are actively considering. We would also like to know what steps they will be taking to consider the views of organisations such as Open Rights Group, and those others who recently wrote to rights holders expressing their concern and requesting such proposals are made public.
So far these discussions have involved only rightsholders and Internet companies, with only in the most recent meeting involving Consumer Focus. (As Jim blogged yesterday, Consumer Focus' response to the proposals they discussed is here). This is a welcome concession. But it is a concession. Open policy making that takes on board the broadest range of views is not something within the gift of politicians but a responsibility they bear.

All this 'freedom of information interchange' that you enjoy now will be a memory for our generation and the stuff of legend to the next.

Shameful

Guest eight

link

All this 'freedom of information interchange' that you enjoy now will be a memory for our generation and the stuff of legend to the next.

Shameful

I could have sworn Ed Vaizey was Labour.....

Anyway, saw an ad for a TV the other day with built in Internet applications like Facebook, Youtube etc. So long as people can get at those I don't think most realise the "web" actually exists.

quite right that eight, i remember back in about 1996 when i thought the compuserve app was the internet :lol: it was completely independent of a browser (now that's even worse than fb)

anyway someone either needs to tell the government that their competition bodies need to man the f up and tell sky it can't have everything (let's face it this is mainly about football) or sky need to reprice their model (who the hell wants 5m channels of crap for 70 quid a month just to watch some sport!!)

they're going the same way as the music industry tbh, who's going to monitor the now thousands (possibly 000's) of sites that now stream live events, and how do they block otherwise legit sites? (blogspot springs to mind).

quite right that eight, i remember back in about 1996 when i thought the compuserve app was the internet :lol: it was completely independent of a browser (now that's even worse than fb)

anyway someone either needs to tell the government that their competition bodies need to man the f up and tell sky it can't have everything (let's face it this is mainly about football) or sky need to reprice their model (who the hell wants 5m channels of crap for 70 quid a month just to watch some sport!!)

they're going the same way as the music industry tbh, who's going to monitor the now thousands (possibly 000's) of sites that now stream live events, and how do they block otherwise legit sites? (blogspot springs to mind).

I wrote complaining to my Tory MP about the DEA just before it was introduced. He responded saying copyright had to be protected and showed little interest or understanding of the implications of the DEA.

I didn't realise it was being reviewed, I think it's time I should educate him.