House Price Crash Forum
DTMark

Buying Opportunities Abroad

If you wanted to move to one of the countries which is likely to go bust (Portugal or Spain) from another country which will a little while after also be going bust (this one, though of course that won't be an outright default, just a stealth one by inflation)

And you live in the UK and earn and hold GBP - a fair amount of it, not enough to buy outright by any means, but enough to make a significant downpayment towards a property that has halved in value:

And you hold the belief that one of the best possible buying opportunities may be just a year or two (maybe three) away as the destination country goes into freefall, but also believe that by that time, GBP will be practically worthless.... but didn't want to convert everything into gold..

What would you do? And do you think this is a reasonable hypothesis and opportunity?

I would have thought Portugal or Spain would be a bad idea because they are going bust. Your house will be worth nothing. Whereas the US will recover before we do.

I have considered this for a while but what puts me off is getting the thing let and all the hassle of doing it in the first place. I thought about a villa in Florida but they have an oversupply of those and people who can't let them because of this oversupply and lack of tourists (in this recession). I thought about having one for a retirement place, but I hear noises about the US changing the visa laws, so we brits can't do 90 days then return repeatedly. Fuel prices are also making flights expensive (long haul like USA) and goodness knows what they will be in 20 years time.

But if these bloody UK overpriced little slave boxes don't correct soon I will buy abroad somewhere I think... but where.....

(20 people reading this topic hardly any posts! come on people)

Edited by Spoony

Hi DTM,

I've been thinking about this on too. I'm gonna live in the Canaries during the winters, as want to mountain bike and surf more, but age and damp is catching up on me over here.

I reckon the time to buy is when the Euro burns and Spain defaults. Prices over there will slump, but bounce back as demand will shoot up, from buyers over here.

This is my strategy:

I've taken a small private pension fund with L&G, and put it in a SIPP, so I can control it - currently only 10K, as it was a small fund doing nothing much.

I'm adding as much money as I can comfortably afford each month - 2K approx

All contributions get 20% rebate, into the SIPP, about 1 month after I purchase some shares.

I'm buying into small oilies and a new gold company on the AIM market. I'm pound cost averaging, as it's a bear market.

The shares are high risk and highly volatile, but I've done plenty of research and looking for multi-baggers.

I'm top-slicing and re-investing

I'm planning my SIPP to have a value of 100 K in 3 years time, when I'm 55.

I reckon £100K will buy a decent villa, when the defaults begin.

At 55, I can take 25% Tax Free = Deposit on villa.

The balance will be transferred to a safe income fund to pay the interest on outstanding mortgage balance, until I die from alcholic liver disease and too much shaggin'

I have other investments which will provide living costs.

So the Government will be adding 20% towards the purchase cost of my winter escape....which is my money anyway, because I've paid loads of tax during my short, pointless life!

Good luck mate. What's your plan?

That would be a no.

Actually have some land but can't afford to build.

That's really interesting. Did you buy the land for building?

This might sound stupid, but why not build it yourself? or Better still, sell me half, and lets build two houses!

That's really interesting. Did you buy the land for building?

This might sound stupid, but why not build it yourself? or Better still, sell me half, and lets build two houses!

It's not mine, my wife's. Greeks are not silly, families like to pass on assets not money. It's just that now is not a good time to go "all in" on anything Greek.

It's not mine, my wife's. Greeks are not silly, families like to pass on assets not money. It's just that now is not a good time to go "all in" on anything Greek.

The way things are going some German bloke with a moustache will be owning your land soon !!

PS - From what I have seen Greek burds are stunning when young but get rather rank when they get older. There seems to be a far larger gap than in other countries. Is that an unfair view ?

The way things are going some German bloke with a moustache will be owning your land soon !!

PS - From what I have seen Greek burds are stunning when young but get rather rank when they get older. There seems to be a far larger gap than in other countries. Is that an unfair view ?

No - not unfair at all.. Seems to be a Med, trait. Have you seen Portuguese birds...absolutely gorgeous at 19.......but fat and ugly at 30. And they shout and scream at blokes all day!

It must be the sun.

But, having said that..I know some blokes who would knob anything......B)

No - not unfair at all.. Seems to be a Med, trait. Have you seen Portuguese birds...absolutely gorgeous at 19.......but fat and ugly at 30. And they shout and scream at blokes all day!

It must be the sun.

But, having said that..I know some blokes who would knob anything......B)

Ah good to know - thought I was just being a little harsh, As for those blokes. Scandalous. :D

Anyway - back on topic. Only go somewhere you have lived before (Or been there a LOT) and like. Some places appear nice on holiday but are very different permanently.

Ahem, getting back on topic, I am/would only consider it on a permanent basis with the appropriate change of lifestyle, not because I think i'd make money on the deal

I would leap at the chance mate.....you'll only regret it on your death bed...:rolleyes:

Ah good to know - thought I was just being a little harsh, As for those blokes. Scandalous. :D

Anyway - back on topic. Only go somewhere you have lived before (Or been there a LOT) and like. Some places appear nice on holiday but are very different permanently.

Yep...very sensible advice. And possibly best to rent for a while first.

Have you been to the Canaries? Weird volcanic biosphere; you either love it or hate it. The WHO suggest best place to live on the plane, with respect to climate and lifestyle.

I love it and the women are amazing..........

until they get to 30 then...........run for the hills! :huh:

If you wanted to move to one of the countries which is likely to go bust (Portugal or Spain) from another country which will a little while after also be going bust (this one, though of course that won't be an outright default, just a stealth one by inflation)

And you live in the UK and earn and hold GBP - a fair amount of it, not enough to buy outright by any means, but enough to make a significant downpayment towards a property that has halved in value:

And you hold the belief that one of the best possible buying opportunities may be just a year or two (maybe three) away as the destination country goes into freefall, but also believe that by that time, GBP will be practically worthless.... but didn't want to convert everything into gold..

What would you do? And do you think this is a reasonable hypothesis and opportunity?

If you believe that everything can only get better in Europe, then let loose with your savings...

But, if not, you'd better be able to afford the local boss's protection.

...or even better, have some dirt on them and the ability to back it up.

Else, you are going to get ripped off.

Yep...very sensible advice. And possibly best to rent for a while first.

Have you been to the Canaries? Weird volcanic biosphere; you either love it or hate it. The WHO suggest best place to live on the plane, with respect to climate and lifestyle.

I love it and the women are amazing..........

until they get to 30 then...........run for the hills! :huh:

Aye but only the Playa de Las years ago. I think the weather and biking opportunities would be class.

Been to so many places around the World but still not found one I could easily just up sticks and move to permanently. No idea why. I really hate the UK a lot of the time but there must be something about it I really like.

Can't put my finger on it though.

Aye but only the Playa de Las years ago. I think the weather and biking opportunities would be class.

Been to so many places around the World but still not found one I could easily just up sticks and move to permanently. No idea why. I really hate the UK a lot of the time but there must be something about it I really like.

Can't put my finger on it though.

Know what you mean.

Lack of mozzies is one thing the UK has going for it and I do quite enjoy the changes of the seasons and the fact the sun doesn't go down at 6 on the dot every day like on the equator. Sometimes I want to wear a coat,, shorts all the time gets tedious. We also consistently do some of the best TV, best comedy, best music, we're a pretty creative bunch. English pubs and sunday roasts, they're good, can't beat 'em. Plus of course family nearby and friends from across the years all within reasonable proximity. I think those are the reasons I've stuck around.

Had a Swedish girlfriend for several years, spent a lot of time over there. There's lots that's good about it, but I just couldn't see myself spending the rest of my life there, which was the plan she had in mind, hence the reason it's over ;)

Know what you mean.

Lack of mozzies is one thing the UK has going for it and I do quite enjoy the changes of the seasons and the fact the sun doesn't go down at 6 on the dot every day like on the equator. Sometimes I want to wear a coat,, shorts all the time gets tedious. We also consistently do some of the best TV, best comedy, best music, we're a pretty creative bunch. English pubs and sunday roasts, they're good, can't beat 'em. Plus of course family nearby and friends from across the years all within reasonable proximity. I think those are the reasons I've stuck around.

Had a Swedish girlfriend for several years, spent a lot of time over there. There's lots that's good about it, but I just couldn't see myself spending the rest of my life there, which was the plan she had in mind, hence the reason it's over ;)

Indeed. There is something annoyingly addictive about this **** of a country we live in. Ah well.

I would recommend that you select a location to buy a property in a location where you can actually live either unrestricted or with simple visa application process.

This would rule out places like the USA.

Europe is the obvious location; but don't discount places like Malaysia where property can be very reasonable and you can get a 'retirement' type visa quite easily which allows you to live there pretty much unrestricted.