House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
large

Do Something Rather Than Just Talking

Although there are arguments that SIPPS won't affect the HPC, any new money going into the market will slow things down and maybe make the bottom higher. It is in our interests for SIPPs to be shelved or put on hold. Our government is totally driven by opinion polls. WRITE TO YOUR MP VOICING YOUR OPPOSITION TO SIPPS. To find out who your MP is follow the link below:

http://www.locata.co.uk/commons/

Send the letter to:

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

This is the letter I sent my MP. You can probably do better.

Dear Celia Barlow,

I am writing in vehement opposition to the new changes to SIPPS, whereby the chancellor will allow second properties to be included in Pension plans and for the purchasers to obtain upto 40% tax relief on such purchases.

Considering the current ludicrous prices in the Brighton and Hove area where someone like myself, a Ph.D. qualified professional earning k40, is struggling to afford a two bed flat, the thought that the government is about to subsidise the purchase of properties by the super rich so that these properties become even more out of the reach of ordinary people, is unbelievably repugnant. They make some of Mrs Thatchers tax policies look Chartist in comparison.

I will never vote labour again if this policy goes through. It is disgusting.

Yours sincerely,

Edited by large

Although there are arguments that SIPPS won't affect the HPC, any new money going into the market will slow slow things down and maybe make the bottom higher. It is in our interests for SIPPs to be shelved or put on hold. Our government is totally driven by opinion polls. WRITE TO YOUR MP VOICING YOUR OPPOSITION TO SIPPS. To find out who your MP is follow the link below:

http://www.locata.co.uk/commons/

Send the letter to:

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

This is the letter I sent my MP. You can probably do better.

Dear Celia Barlow,

I am writing in vehement opposition to the new changes to SIPPS, whereby the chancellor will allow second properties to be included in Pension plans and for the purchasers to obtain upto 40% tax relief on such purchases.

Considering the current ludicrous prices in the Brighton and Hove area where someone like myself, a Ph.D. qualified professional earning k40, is struggling to afford a two bed flat, the thought that the government is about to subsidise the purchase of properties by the super rich so that these properties become even more out of the reach of ordinary people, is unbelievably repugnant. They make some of Mrs Thatchers tax policies look Chartist in comparison.

I will never vote labour again if this policy goes through. It is disgusting.

Yours sincerely,

Her Relpy:

I hear what you're saying and I feel your pain but unfortunately the Labour party has no powers at all, big business like banks and builders now run the show, we've only manager to avoid an 90's style ression so far because we've let them shaft the population into high debt.

Sorry

We are doing something - not buying. The most effective thing is probably not buying in the current market. Why the need for interference? The market will eventually come to its senses at some point, property will become affordable again it just takes time.

Yesterday I posted the following:

"Must admit that I swing from not being worried about the SIPPS threat to being very worried and back again. I have found the economic and financial arguments and reasoning presented on HPC and other sites comforting and pursuasive in terms of arguing that SIPPS should have minimal impact in holding up the house price market. However, as we know it's not just the economics and the logic of the situation that matter .... it's also the spin that matters and the impact that spin has on sentiment and how this influences beliefs and behaviour. Whilst I feel that my 'worry' can be calmed by the economic arguments about SIPPS I find it much harder to reduce my worry about the opportunity it will provide VI's for spin, propaganda, lies - call it what you will. I can only imagine that the VI's are already planning a big 'spin campaign' to coincide with the introduction of SIPPS ('A' Day????). At times I feel we should be more active in fighting the spin and generating alternative discourses - hence my banging on about sending letters to newspapers every now and then. Some days I have day dreams of us initiating campaigns that are influenced by the anti-vivisection brigade. All kinds of nasty things happen to certain TV presenters. Perhaps 5 of us could dig up one of the TV presenters dead pet dog. (In no way do I advocate such a campaign ... the day dream is therapeutic though). Other times I day dream about house price campaigns that are more influenced by the 'Fathers For Justice' gang. I think any campaign needs to concentrate on highlighting the benefits of falling house prices, the negatives of high and rising prices, the flaws in VI spin, and identify some badies (certain TV presenters come to mind yet again). Effective campaigns are usually presented in a fairly straightforward and easy to grasp way. British democracy has a long history of small groups doing things that are really quite clownish but have had a significant impact on the political and social landscape. Perhaps we could/should be doing more to fight and challenge the spin? Or perhaps I will just have to be satisfied with my day dreams.

If nothing else this post is an expression of some of my frustration whilst waiting house prices to fall far enough for me to feel comfortable about jumping in and buying a property. It seems to me that over the last few weeks quite a few of us have been experiencing some level of frustration with the situation we find ourselves in."

I will be writing to my MP as large suggests. I think it is possible for us to be more active and have an impact, although I don't think my 'dig up a dead dog' campaign will quite bring house prices crashing down!!

I do think there is scope for doing some fairly sensible, and reasonably easy to do, things that may cumulatively begin to have an impact (writing letters to newspapers, to MPs, using the FTB Beware leaflets, and so on) and perhaps some scope for slightly more silly tactics (aka Fathers For Justice).

I would be interested to hear what ideas people have (whether serious or perhaps not so serious). So, if any of you do have ideas let's hear them.

Sorry but this is pathetic.

You are ALL dodging the major underlying issues.

The Government, MP's, Media, Financial Institutions, Education, Local Councils etc etc etc are now so far removed (and controlled by 'unseen others') from 'public influence' - that no matter what you try it will be ineffective.

Examples

Blair going to war against the wishes of the vast majority of the population - just on his say so.

Bank lending out of control. Huge interest, charges for overspending of the 'easy money'

Now talk about the 'REAL' issues!

Who controls the UK?

The Swansea West MP Alan Williams is apparently trying to bring in a Bill to regulate EAs more strictly - if you wish to write to an MP you may as well write to him.

ROGUE ESTATE AGENTS ARE TARGETED

He added: "But I want to go further. We will introduce new powers to tackle rogue estate agents and we will increase 10-fold fines on companies that plague consumers and terrify pensioners with silent calls."

Details of the proposed crackdown have yet to be clarified but it is thought that the ombudsmen will be given the power to shut unscrupulous estate agents.

Speaking about his Private Members' Bill last year, Mr Williams told the Post: "The estate agencies have had it their own way for too long."

Full story at:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayN...e=sidebarsearch

(The site is having problems at the moment so it might be slow to display)

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Here's an individual doing something about it (from the BBC News website):

"Talk to Drew Endy, who is pioneering biological engineering, for example. He is at the forefront of what is a new science involving taking apart the very stuff of life - molecules of living organisms - and rebuilding them in ways that may be useful.

It is about programming living organisms to do what we want them to do. It might involve, for example, engineering an organism so that it devours a pollutant, or altering a bacterium so that it attacks disease.

Professor Endy talks of his dream of growing houses, no less. When the science is developed, he can't see why it shouldn't be possible to alter the genes of a gourd so that it grows in a particular shape - like the shape of some futuristic space in which we might live. "

Whatever you do whilst waiting for the crash, don't throw out any of your gourds!!

Surely though, if more people are buying second homes to rent out, it makes the rental market even more competitive?

Think about it this way...

If you can rent for £300 pcm or buy for £1300 pcm which would you rather do?

Let them go through with it. The tax relief means nothing if the owner can't afford the mortgage in the first place. I just feel sorry for the poor people who will plonk all of their life savings into a second home. The crash will happen regardless and they'll lose the lot. Poor buggers!

save your paper.

the MPs all KNOW about the housing situation. councillors will have told them. as will have many, many local people. thing is, since your need for affordable housing doesnt fit in with gordons plans they ignore it and spin a line of whitewash and were doing somethings. you may get a nice whitehall letter head.

until gordon brown realises you cant pyramid a whole economy on an every increasing lending burden forever. i was hoping he would change course, but simple economics (eludes gb) will force it anyway.

i always say - you cannot control inflation by any means. its human nature.