House Price Crash Forum

Markets Tumbling?

rantnrave

I think its very refreshing for you to be so honest, usually on HPC people only declare their profits.

But be careful there are some real shysters on AIM. I knew some of them and even worked for them briefly. I know a bunch that are (or were) a gold mining outfit (in Vietnam). Be very, very careful. Don;t believe a word they say. They always make money, their investors don't (usually).

I read an interview with a hedge fund manager last year - well known publication and quite a media regular hedgie being interviewed. The article came across as him advising people where he was putting his cash now.

All the companies were on AIM. He talk about each as having great prospects.

I did some research, his hedge firm was the majority share-holder in each company.

Go figure.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most AIM investors have had their portfolios shot to bits recently.

I'm not sure that AIM is there to rip off investors. These are new companies, and it's fair to say that a lot go to the wall. Private investors lose their money, but it's not unusual for new companies to go bust. That's not fraud, but a bad business idea.

So, it comes down to the individual investor to carry out the necessary research before investing. The first stop is looking at the BODs and their credentials.

etc etc and finally...

Don't invest what your not prepared to lose.

Yes there is risk in new ventures, accepted.

These shysters stripped out a "worthless" internet company for the cost of a semi and then sold it privately a few years later to Dada Pro for £24.5M

The "shareholders" got a mining "exploration" company, zero cash flow and a lot of promises.

Edited by John Steed

mmm, not advice but you seem to be influenced by certain people on here or what you are reading on this board or others, i would suggest given your lack of success that maybe you should stick to the normal method of saving, dont let people tell you there is free money out there, there generally aint

Course there is, if your a Bankster :rolleyes:

For the rest of us though we have to work at it, maybe lose sleep, hair, etc. Some poor sod even had his dog leave home :lol:

You're 100% right, but the ETF's cannot last for much longer - another bubble.

The II's will be rushing back into stocks, as they have asset backed value, whereas ETF's don't....especially the junior miners, and prices will soar.

It's a very good time to get into gold miners, for this reason, at the moment. There are some life changing opportunities out there. And lets be honest..not many of those come along!

EDIT...EFT/ETF!

Well said. The Goldminers are looking mighty attrractive right now especilly as Benny and the inkets are backstage waiting to make another perfrormance.

Next year or so Goldminers up quite a lot and UK houses down quite a lot - great ratio trade.

BTW anyone who thinks its easy money - well many of these mining shares have been giving their owners a hard tinme just recently - the effort is in holding these assets through a bull market - but strong hands and perseverance will lead to happy days ahead.

mmm, not advice but you seem to be influenced by certain people on here or what you are reading on this board or others, i would suggest given your lack of success that maybe you should stick to the normal method of saving, dont let people tell you there is free money out there, there generally aint

Did you mean to come across quite so arogantly, or is it something you do naturally?

Pft, try the AIM market! Metal miners (well the majority of the ones I monitor) are down 50-60%!! I'm sitting on large losses. Written the money off in my mind.

ISTR telling you so ... aha, http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=156852&st=75&p=2873194&hl=+aim%20+miners%20+bubble&fromsearch=1entry2873194

I'm down too. About 2% in the Venture Capital portfolio; maybe as much as 4% in the SIPP. Against that, I think the ISA is still creeping up B)

Oh, and who sez the pound just fell? It was the dollar taking a sudden upward adjustment 'cos of turning that printer off.

I think its very refreshing for you to be so honest, usually on HPC people only declare their profits.

It's natural to want to boast, but few want to look stupid by admitting to mistakes.

gitman has form on HPC. I guess having started on admitting to losses some time ago, it's easier to go on.

(I've got 50% losses on a couple of investments. Fortunately those are a small part of the portfolio).

Did you see the text underneath

"Are you receiving from HSBC? how much did they paid you?

Santander as been stated as one of the most solid banks in Europe.

This is pure speculation and a nationalist crap." :lol::lol:

Comedy gold

i doubt theres much chance of Santander going under for a good few years yet (not that id touch em with a barge pole), but to call it one of the safest banks is comedy gold and highlights the general level of genuine understanding "oooo its big it must be safe". Its like that Worlds safest 50 Banks carp that gets distributed every year, safe my arris, 90% of them are completely dependant on asset prices and have next to fck all Capital

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

No worries mate...we're all sitting on these...I'm currently 18% down.

But, the fundamentals of these companies hasn't changed and you made your decisions based on sound research, so only a fool would sell at the mo. The best thing you could do is buy, and reduce your averages - if you have the spondoolies.

The word on the street, is that junior miners are going to bounce back; especially if gold is involved.

Which companies are you in...out of interest. I've got shed loads in Orogen. My main stock is in junior oilies.

I USED to be in OTC (took a big hit on that and sold out 30% but was glad as now down much further). Also now out of RRR, BEM and a few others.

Currently in ANGM, RRL, RMM, BIP.

ISTR telling you so ... aha, http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=156852&st=75&p=2873194&hl=+aim%20+miners%20+bubble&fromsearch=1entry2873194

I'm down too. About 2% in the Venture Capital portfolio; maybe as much as 4% in the SIPP. Against that, I think the ISA is still creeping up B)

Oh, and who sez the pound just fell? It was the dollar taking a sudden upward adjustment 'cos of turning that printer off.

Well, I'm still hanging on.

Best thing I did with the rest of my money was put it into index-linked certs.

I USED to be in OTC (took a big hit on that and sold out 30% but was glad as now down much further). Also now out of RRR, BEM and a few others.

Currently in ANGM, RRL, RMM, BIP.

RRL have excellent potental.....I missed the boat on RRL, but heavily into SOU.

I've also taken a position in CLON, as undervalued and great prospects in Ghana. Also, very few shares available in CLON, so small pressure results in big swing.

But be careful there are some real shysters on AIM. I knew some of them and even worked for them briefly. I know a bunch that are (or were) a gold mining outfit (in Vietnam). Be very, very careful. Don;t believe a word they say. They always make money, their investors don't (usually).

Thanks for the advice. And to the first comment - so true lol....

Did you see the text underneath

"Are you receiving from HSBC? how much did they paid you?

Santander as been stated as one of the most solid banks in Europe.

This is pure speculation and a nationalist crap." :lol::lol:

Comedy gold

i doubt theres much chance of Santander going under for a good few years yet (not that id touch em with a barge pole), but to call it one of the safest banks is comedy gold and highlights the general level of genuine understanding "oooo its big it must be safe". Its like that Worlds safest 50 Banks carp that gets distributed every year, safe my arris, 90% of them are completely dependant on asset prices and have next to fck all Capital

Manuel Fernadez

20 Jun 11, 10:46

:lol:

That's a very important and thoroughly sensible article by Nadeem.

It's a shame the BBC don't run that on the news instead of the weather. I'm staggered that anyone would even consider holding > FSCS limits in a Spanish bank given what they can see happening in Athens. Quite honestly they deserve to be fleeced.