House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

curious1

Police Wind-Up

Just got a fixed notice penalty for jumping a red on my bike (no pedestrians, solid traffic jams in all directions not moving, ie no danger to anyone) ... so fair cop.

When it came to the penalty notice the officer asked me to sign the document. I wanted to read the document, but his thumb was covering the area of small print at the bottom of the page. I asked him to move his finger. This caused him to go a bit weird, saying I had been rude for saying "wait" and that "You dont need to read that"... then saying I had refused to sign when in fact all I wanted to do was to read the damn document before I signed it! eventually, after pulling out my phone to record his ridiculous assertions he finally lets me read the whole notice! ... but not after me repeatedly asking for him to simply move his thumb so I could read the whole thing. What a total wind-up merchant!

I don't like the idea of police telling me what I need to read when they are asking me to sign something...

Any suggestions on how to deal with a situation like this? I have a good mind to report the jumped up stasi officer but I doubt it would go anywhere.

I

Just got a fixed notice penalty for jumping a red on my bike (no pedestrians, solid traffic jams in all directions not moving, ie no danger to anyone) ... so fair cop.

When it came to the penalty notice the officer asked me to sign the document. I wanted to read the document, but his thumb was covering the area of small print at the bottom of the page. I asked him to move his finger. This caused him to go a bit weird, saying I had been rude for saying "wait" and that "You dont need to read that"... then saying I had refused to sign when in fact all I wanted to do was to read the damn document before I signed it! eventually, after pulling out my phone to record his ridiculous assertions he finally lets me read the whole notice! ... but not after me repeatedly asking for him to simply move his thumb so I could read the whole thing. What a total wind-up merchant!

I don't like the idea of police telling me what I need to read when they are asking me to sign something...

Any suggestions on how to deal with a situation like this? I have a good mind to report the jumped up stasi officer but I doubt it would go anywhere.

I

Unfortunately the Policing proffession attracts inadequate people.

Sounds like little Hitler complex and he doesn't like to be questioned. Not too much you can do apart from trying to be ultra polite saying something like: "I've got a bit of a thing with small print - do you mind awfully if I take a closer look at that document before I sign it?" rather than, "Wait, can you move your thumb so I can read the small print". Sounds like the way of least hassle to me.

IIRC filming the police is also an offence.

What is the UK coming to?

scary

btw If you don't sign it still gets issued

I'm sure its not. If you have a look on youtube there are plenty of videos of people filming the police because of situations similar to this

IIRC filming the police is also an offence.

It isn't but some little Hitlers seem to have got it into their head that it is (or at least view it as a challenge their authority, and they can't deal with the fact that they aren't god).

Any suggestions on how to deal with a situation like this?

I

I would have, after taking my time to examine the ticket, signed it with an 'X'. When plod asks why I would tell him that I cant read :lol:

I got pulled over in my car and there was a bit of argy bargy between My Good Self and this motor bike cop.So he called his mates to search the car,me and my passengers.After he had done this I suggested that I might leave and he said he wanted a dog to search the car.

I pointed out that he had put on the form that he had searched me on suspicion of stolen goods so a dog would not further his cause. I then handeds him the keys and said "If you are not arresting me I am leaving,you search the car for as long as you want" They went into panic mode worrying about what they were going to do with the car after the search. I just said "It's not my problem pal,it's yours now" and walked off leaving him with the Merc keys.They ran up the white flag immediately.

I had a little difference of opinion with Wilts plod this morning. I was making my way past near standing traffic on the A303 when I went past two police cars and a van. One of the cars got the hump and decided to pull me over so after carrying on for two and a half miles (trying to find a safe place to pull over that would not cause an obstruction :) ) I found a nice little lay by with a hot food van and lots of people around. Anyhow, over comes plod, incandescent with rage not very politely, asks me to remove my helmet which I did. then the conversation went like this.

Plod: Do you know your highway code?

Me: Yes thankyou

Plod; Then why you overtake me and another half mile of cars back there?

Me; because it was, in my opinion, safe to do so.

Plod; So your opinion's the law then is it? (by now quite a crowd has gathered sensing plods pants are about to be pulled down)

Me; No oficer the highway code is the law.

Plod; And what does it say about double white lines in the highway code?

Me; It says do not cross or straddle officer.

Plod; ..............{looks at his mate in the car who just shrugs}.........................{looks back at me then goes for a look round the bike}....................{finally after about three minutes confiring with his mate}...and you think that's safe do you?

Me; As I said earlier at that speed, it was in my opinion, safe to pass.

Plod;.............{Does not say another word just gets in his car, slamming the door so hard some old boy dropped his cup of tea, and drives off}

Me; {turns to the crowd and says} Guess that means I'm free to go then?

'THe Highway Code']

129[/b]

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you must not cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

I've been stopped for this before, the number of coppers out there that assume double white lines mean no overtaking is frightening.

Always good to have a fully legal bike and the plod bang to rights, cheered me right up. :D

I had a little difference of opinion with Wilts plod this morning. I was making my way past near standing traffic on the A303 when I went past two police cars and a van. One of the cars got the hump and decided to pull me over so after carrying on for two and a half miles (trying to find a safe place to pull over that would not cause an obstruction :) ) I found a nice little lay by with a hot food van and lots of people around. Anyhow, over comes plod, incandescent with rage not very politely, asks me to remove my helmet which I did. then the conversation went like this.

Plod: Do you know your highway code?

Me: Yes thankyou

Plod; Then why you overtake me and another half mile of cars back there?

Me; because it was, in my opinion, safe to do so.

Plod; So your opinion's the law then is it? (by now quite a crowd has gathered sensing plods pants are about to be pulled down)

Me; No oficer the highway code is the law.

Plod; And what does it say about double white lines in the highway code?

Me; It says do not cross or straddle officer.

Plod; ..............{looks at his mate in the car who just shrugs}.........................{looks back at me then goes for a look round the bike}....................{finally after about three minutes confiring with his mate}...and you think that's safe do you?

Me; As I said earlier at that speed, it was in my opinion, safe to pass.

Plod;.............{Does not say another word just gets in his car, slamming the door so hard some old boy dropped his cup of tea, and drives off}

Me; {turns to the crowd and says} Guess that means I'm free to go then?

I've been stopped for this before, the number of coppers out there that assume double white lines mean no overtaking is frightening.

Always good to have a fully legal bike and the plod bang to rights, cheered me right up. :D

Be aware the Highway Code is guidance about the law, not the law itself. I would be interested to know when the actual legislation is on thispoint.

I got pulled over in my car and there was a bit of argy bargy between My Good Self and this motor bike cop.So he called his mates to search the car,me and my passengers.After he had done this I suggested that I might leave and he said he wanted a dog to search the car.

I pointed out that he had put on the form that he had searched me on suspicion of stolen goods so a dog would not further his cause. I then handeds him the keys and said "If you are not arresting me I am leaving,you search the car for as long as you want" They went into panic mode worrying about what they were going to do with the car after the search. I just said "It's not my problem pal,it's yours now" and walked off leaving him with the Merc keys.They ran up the white flag immediately.

The problem is that if you annoy them too much they will go over your car with a fine toothcomb and WILL find something wrong. A nick in a tyre, a loose jubillee clip on a fuel line, a worn wiper blade...

Best thing is to keep your cool, not annoy them, and instead make them feel that they are dealing with someone who knows their rights without being antagonsitic. They'll go and pick on someone else instead, it's easier for them.

The problem is that if you annoy them too much they will go over your car with a fine toothcomb and WILL find something wrong. A nick in a tyre, a loose jubillee clip on a fuel line, a worn wiper blade...

Best thing is to keep your cool, not annoy them, and instead make them feel that they are dealing with someone who knows their rights without being antagonsitic. They'll go and pick on someone else instead, it's easier for them.

The fact is you have to be nice to them. No matter how well you maintain your vehicle it will always be possible to find something wrong if someone tries hard enough.

That was never gonna go well. I've been pulled loads of times, mostly for speeding, and the most hassle I have had to date is being breathalised.

I get out of the car and go to them, am polite and friendly.

If you sit there and let them walk to you and then wind the window down then they are in official mode and its all over.

Even if they cant do you they can fk you about and it isnt worth the hassle.

Nicely done though :)

Not connected to the OP in any way. I had two plod on my door this evening - one of my neighbours has complained that I knocked a House Martins nest off my house.

Not connected to the OP in any way. I had two plod on my door this evening - one of my neighbours has complained that I knocked a House Martins nest off my house.

....and?

....and?

They are a protected species. Lots of ******** about fines etc. They were quite bored about it to be fair - I just told them it was an old nest so no harm done blah blah blah. Didn't quite see it needed police attention TBH

Be aware the Highway Code is guidance about the law, not the law itself. I would be interested to know when the actual legislation is on thispoint.

Thanks, I'll try that defense next time they quote the highway code at me.

That was never gonna go well. I've been pulled loads of times, mostly for speeding, and the most hassle I have had to date is being breathalised.

I get out of the car and go to them, am polite and friendly.

If you sit there and let them walk to you and then wind the window down then they are in official mode and its all over.

Even if they cant do you they can fk you about and it isnt worth the hassle.

Nicely done though :)

It went quite well. After a complaint to the IPCC I got a call from an Inspector and an apology for "Inappropriate action". One in the bank for any future hassle I think.

My son was pulled over by a Copper (in a car on opposite side of road) for crossing a red light and stopping in a box junction. Son insisted he hadn't done it and refused the ticket so was taken to court. It was at a complicated junction of traffic lights, feed lanes and yellow boxes.

The Copper's statement was full of references to my son's attitude problems but he was dealing with a knob of a policeman of dubious IQ. It took ages to get to court was postponed twice, even though son had turned up, due to severe weather and another case overrunning and a final date was given a year on from the incident. The case was dropped two days before he was due in court. Why? well I guess the CPS finally got round to reading son's statement.

The Copper's statement and photo's of the junction produced in evidence proved my son could not have committed the offense :lol:

Son was a bit pee'd off that he didn't get to prove in Court what a prat the Copper was, but three months later he was busted down to a Special due to several severe errors of judgement :lol:

(btw it was a similar car, same colour, in front of son's that committed the offence)

No the Road Traffic Act and other acts defers to some sections of the highway code so technically correct. I'll try and dig out which bits of the highway code are law and which are not.

I would find that remarkable, as the Highway Code is not produced or scrutinised by Parliament. It is a code that explains the law in more unerstandable language.

Perhaps it is partly based on case law, and so explains the law in relation to specific, pactical circumstances.

Ultimately, it's authority can only come from laws and statutes.

Any suggestions on how to deal with a situation like this?

Simple, begin to strike out each of the terms you do not agree with and ask him to initial each to indicate his agreement.

I

:lol:

You've just gotta love it haven't you...

People being stabbed, shot, battered, raped, burgled.... meanwhile the Police are standing around arguing the t0ss over the exact wording of a standard issue Home Office form. Screw racing round to Mrs Smith's house where her drunken ex-husband is trying to beat her to death.... we've got all the time in the world... let's sit in the back of the panda car and go through the form line by line.... making alterations to the precise wording until Sir is entirely happy.

If you can't take getting a b0llocking from the "stasi" don't break the law... easy enough.