House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot

Anyone Used Informix?

Where I work we're solid Oracle and MS SQL, however the powers that be are looking at a solution for a project which uses Informix.

I know NOTHING about Informix.

Just how different is it to Oracle or MS SQL ?

Would we be looking at the same sort of learning curve required for an Oracle DBA to retrain to MS SQL ?

ie: You can start running queries against a db without too many syntax differences but to actually start configuring and performance tuning there would be loads to learn.

Depends what you are doing. Simple queries ok via odbc/linked servers etc, but maintenance wise its a bit of a curve... stay away if you can, and read up on it before you accept any responsibility for performance or maintenance.

Depends what you are doing. Simple queries ok via odbc/linked servers etc, but maintenance wise its a bit of a curve... stay away if you can, and read up on it before you accept any responsibility for performance or maintenance.

I'm thinking more maintenance, tuning, etc from a DBA perspective.

We're a huge company so nothing would happen without us all having been on a shedload of training first. I'm simply looking for an idea of just how different it is to Oracle or SQL from anyone who may have been there already.

Ah - you a DBA?

It is significantly different to SQL. Enough that it is going to be one of those quite tricky decisions as to whether you should volunteer for it or not. Personally I wouldn't, but then I have 10+ years on SQL and I don't really see where having a beginners knowledge of informix would really help - other than on occasion making me look like an even bigger tit than usual!